Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Anybody get the new Kindle (10th gen)?

Press reviews have been mostly favorable, but it is odd that I have seen no reports or reviews from folks here. To the contrary most opinions (including mine) have been negative or dismissive, all without benefit of actual hands on experience AFAICT.

It does have a screen upgrade to Carta 1.2, plus the front light. And it remains least costly and lightest Kindle, and the only one available in White. Surely that should have some appeal?

If I were not already neck deep in Kindles I’d probably get one. I have the 8th gen model and like it except for fact that it uses older Pearl screen, which has less contrast.

Interview with Amazon’s Director of Sales & Marketing for Kindle eReaders & Fire Tablets:

http://thekindlechronicles.com/tkc-5...m-allen-hughes
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:56 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Considering one has been able to frequently find the PW4 on sale for $90-100 prior to this new Kindle's announcement, the non-sale pricing is too high. There's actually a 20% cashback promo on the PW4 for Amazon credit card users right now so likely for a lot of Amazon customers, that's $90 vs $104.

The Kindle 10th gen should be a nice upgrade over the previous basic model once there are sales available for it, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2019, 02:37 AM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Today review from Good E-Reader
https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/...le-2019-review
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
In reading the GoodEreader review I encountered a number of passages that sounded vaguely familiar. Imagine my surprise to find them in this androidauthority review published two days ago.

Here are the passages "borrowed" word-for-word from the android authority review:

Quote:
Close examination of the screen will reveal a mild blur around text, indicating a low resolution panel. However, this difference fades from view once you start reading a book. Unless you’ve got both Kindles sitting next to one another, you won’t know that you’re missing anything. That is, unless you read a lot of graphic novels. High-quality graphic content definitely shows off the advantage of the higher resolution display on the Paperwhite.
Quote:
The 2019 Kindle lacks any form of waterproofing. That’s not likely to be a big complaint for most users, but if you often find yourself reading at the beach you might de [sic] well to consider the Paperwhite instead.
Quote:
And that brings us to battery life. With screen brightness set to a third of the maximum setting, and an hour of reading each day (and even more on the weekends), I’ve drained the battery perhaps 50% No matter how aggressive your use case, you should get around a week of battery.
Amusingly enough, he even copied the typo ("de well" instead of "do well")
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I’ve read some of these technology reviews, and some product reviews on Amazon.

But again, I’m still waiting for reports from Mobileread members who have actually tried out the device. All I have seen here are opinions from people that don’t see any reason to get one, or try to imagine reasons why someone might get one. There’s nothing wrong with that, of course, it just seems odd we don’t have first hand accounts yet (unless I have missed them).
Advert
Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, I’ve read some of these technology reviews, and some product reviews on Amazon.

But again, I’m still waiting for reports from Mobileread members who have actually tried out the device. All I have seen here are opinions from people that don’t see any reason to get one, or try to imagine reasons why someone might get one. There’s nothing wrong with that, of course, it just seems odd we don’t have first hand accounts yet (unless I have missed them).
MR members tend to be tech deals savvy so I expect interested parties might be waiting for a sale before they buy one. Mother's Day is coming soon.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
MR members tend to be tech deals savvy so I expect interested parties might be waiting for a sale before they buy one. Mother's Day is coming soon.
Yeah, I think at least some of the MD deals are already up - have not seen any involving this Kindle yet, and at this point I don’t think there will be one. May have to wait for Prime Day.

I think too that Amazon has trained us to expect ‘more for less’ and in this case the price went up $10, which is ‘more for more’ and not as emotionally appealing for impulse buy. But by adjusting the price point up, it gives them room to offer such deals down the road ($30 off!! 3 for $150!!).
Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I recently got another Kindle PW4. 1st one the USB port Broke! Had it all of 1 hour. amazon sent me 2 Different E-Mails letting me know there was a problem... no surprise. I waited 3-4 months tried again. I really like it...just hope Long term it likes me!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Looking at Amazon's site, the cost difference without a sale or promotion is $40. For $40 I get better resolution, waterproof, and more memory. For me, it's worth it. If it isn't for you, the basic Kindle is a heck of a device now.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
I’m getting it, I ordered a white one which is arriving on Tuesday! I traded in an old kindle and used some birthday gift card money so I ended up paying just $10 for it. I plan to keep it in my purse and take it everywhere and leave my Oasis at home. I’m excited because it’s white, and I haven’t had a white kindle since my K2. I’m not worried about the poor resolution... I don’t need waterproofing and inverted text as I have my Oasis for that.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Release was 6 months ago
Old 04-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Release was 6 months ago
Please note, this thread is regarding the new basic Kindle which was just released this month.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I’m getting it, I ordered a white one which is arriving on Tuesday! I traded in an old kindle and used some birthday gift card money so I ended up paying just $10 for it. I plan to keep it in my purse and take it everywhere and leave my Oasis at home. I’m excited because it’s white, and I haven’t had a white kindle since my K2. I’m not worried about the poor resolution... I don’t need waterproofing and inverted text as I have my Oasis for that.
Yes, I have the 8th gen basic Kindle and like the white on that as well. It has a nice feel to it, too, which the new one should share. It used to be my ‘secondary’ Kindle (after my Voyage) but then I got a PW4, so it is not seeing much use lately. This week I’ve reverted to using the Voyage for some reason.

I think PaperWhite 3 was available in white? But to keep the number of options manageable I assume that was dropped in favor of having 8 or 32 storage option.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Please note, this thread is regarding the new basic Kindle which was just released this month.
10th Generation Kindle IS the PW4:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=10th+g...d2815b4b867733

Not the Basic!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
10th Generation Kindle IS the PW4:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=10th+g...d2815b4b867733

Not the Basic!
Seems like you missed the news:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-review-video/

Quote:
Here’s a comparison review between the new Kindle for 2019 and the latest Kindle Paperwhite. Amazon refers to both as 10th generation Kindles, even though the Kindle Paperwhite was released 5 months earlier.

Now that they’ve added a frontlight to the entry-level Kindle, it and the Kindle Paperwhite have never been closer in terms of overall functionality.

The Kindle Paperwhite is still the superior model, but it’s no longer the obvious “best value” pick among the Kindle lineup.

In fact you could argue that the new Kindle with a frontlight at $89 is now the best value.

The things the Kindle Paperwhite adds—a higher resolution screen, a waterproof design, the option for cellular wireless, and more storage space—aren’t necessarily that important to everyone.

There are more similarities than there are differences. Both Kindles have 95% of the same software features, both have 6-inch E Ink screens with frontlights, and both have Bluetooth to listen to audiobooks from Audible.