Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
heinblöd
heinblöd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Text To Speech Reader

Hello,
a few years ago I got one of the last Sony PRS-T1 devices with a built-in headphone jack.

I've rooted the device and installed Cool Reader along with Ivona Text To Speech when the app was still free*. So I can enjoy acoustic reading while riding my bike.

Ivona allowed 1 voice for free so I installed a German voice named Marlene. Now I'd like to read some English books but I didn't manage to install a different voice. Replacing the Ivona data files wouldn'd do the trick.

Should I install another reader or TTS engine? What's recommended?

Google Text To Speech would be great but that's not for Android 2.3, unfortunately.

Best regards,
Hein B

*) It still works if I set the system date back back to, say 2011. If the PRS-T1 Android OS would allow to go back to 2006 even the weekdays would match but next year, 2018 will match with 2012 ;-)
heinblöd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Ivona hasn't been available in Google Play since Amazon bought them. However, as far as I know the Ivona beta voices on Android were all still free apps until that time.

I still have an old copy of Ivona Amy UK English working on my Samsung Galaxy phone. This version has worked OK on Android v4, v5 and v7, but I don't know about v2. It's still the best Voice I own despite having paid for many other non-Ivona voices still for sale at Google Play.

I think if you google around you should be able to find the old free apk installation file. In case it helps, mine has a filename
Code:
IVONA Amy UK English beta-com.ivona.tts.voicebeta.eng.gbr.amy-1.6.23.422-422.apk
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
ivona, prs-t1, tts