Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The reason post #2 is all wrong is that you don't need any special driver for the 505. I know from experience as I used to own one. You just plug it into the USB port and it mounts as a removable drive.
I think what that poster meant was that you had to download the USB drivers for your desktop before it would detect the UMS drive. I kind of recall that PCs way back then didn't have USB support by default.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:52 AM   #17
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
What no poster mentioned was that the original PRS-505 firmware did NOT support EPUB files. Long enough ago so everyone apparently assumed that all Sony PRS-505 readers would have been updated by now, if they even knew about the original files compatibility limitation. In this case that was not a safe assumption. Glad I finally thought to check firmware revision level after reading that as originally introduced the PRS-505 did not support Epub files.Thank the internet for still having the needed info and the correct update file for the PRS-505. I also have a NOS PRS-350 on the way. I hope that this thread helps someone else.

Last edited by Richwood; 12-06-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 AM   #18
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I think what that poster meant was that you had to download the USB drivers for your desktop before it would detect the UMS drive. I kind of recall that PCs way back then didn't have USB support by default.
But if you bought a USB ports card as an add-on it normally included drivers for the card and the current version of Windows. I even remember a driver that worked with DOS for USB 1.0 or 1.1 support. My personal computer experience dates back to the Z80 CPU and CP/M.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I reread post #2 and it's saying to download the Sony software to get the USB driver for the 505. That's why it's all wrong. You don't need to download any USB drivers. The USB drivers that are part of the OS is all you need. You don't need an extra USB driver to get the 505 to show up as a removable drive.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
What no poster mentioned was that the original PRS-505 firmware did NOT support EPUB files. Long enough ago so everyone apparently assumed that all Sony PRS-505 readers would have been updated by now, if they even knew about the original files compatibility limitation. In this case that was not a safe assumption. Glad I finally thought to check firmware revision level after reading that as originally introduced the PRS-505 did not support Epub files.Thank the internet for still having the needed info and the correct update file for the PRS-505. I also have a NOS PRS-350 on the way. I hope that this thread helps someone else.
It's been that long ago that it's easy to foget that to get ePub support you needed to update the firmware. But after using newer devices (including the 650), the version of RMSDK (ADE) for the 505 is rather poor.
Advert
Old 12-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

RMSDK (ADE) ??? Translate please. Not familiar with all the acronyms.

One thing that the whole discussion did reveal to me was the folder file structure on the Sony reader as it is NOT created when the memory is formatted. Maybe done by the desktop software or Calibre on the Sony. I did it manually.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
RMSDK (ADE) ??? Translate please. Not familiar with all the acronyms.
RMSDK is the software behind ADE. It's what used in Readers that support ePub with Adobe's DRM such as Sony, Kobo, & B&N. Both Kobo and B&N use a much newer version.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #23
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
I reread post #2 and it's saying to download the Sony software to get the USB driver for the 505. That's why it's all wrong. You don't need to download any USB drivers. The USB drivers that are part of the OS is all you need. You don't need an extra USB driver to get the 505 to show up as a removable drive.
I think your problem is that you're interpreting "downloading the software to get the drivers" to mean getting the Sony software instead of the USB system drivers. If you let go of that and see that he meant downloading system software (which was common for PCs when the 505 came out), then you'll see that his post was mostly right (and not all wrong).

I was hoping that the poster would clarify things himself, but I suspect your harsh response to his post has soured him on this whole thread.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think your problem is that you're interpreting "downloading the software to get the drivers" to mean getting the Sony software instead of the USB system drivers. If you let go of that and see that he meant downloading system software (which was common for PCs when the 505 came out), then you'll see that his post was mostly right (and not all wrong).
So tell me one computer OS that needs to have the USB drivers downloaded in order to use a 505 with it as a removable drive. There isn't such because the USB drivers are already installed. So that conjecture is out. The only one left is downloading the Sony software.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The reason post #2 is all wrong is that you don't need any special driver for the 505. I know from experience as I used to own one. You just plug it into the USB port and it mounts as a removable drive.
I've got a 505 coming. I don't know if it'll be a "keeper" or not (or even if it works) though the auction showed a picture of it with the "loading book" screen, so I'm guessing it will be okay. If its screen quality matches the 300, it will be usable – if not, I'll probably get back close to what I paid for it (a little less than $20 including s/h plus tax).

I like how the Sonys were built.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:50 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

IT was only the 500 that needed a USB driver.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
IT was only the 500 that needed a USB driver.
Good to hear that. Thanks.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote