Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontonio View Post
After doing some reading at lunch I see that words, and even entire lines are missing after some page turns. I originally flashed an empty reader and reloaded the books after installing the new font, but maybe I needed to reload the original book files rather than those from the Reader with the Dutch font?
Yes, that is the correct procedure. After reading that section of the guide, it does seem a bit ambiguous. Will update that tomorrow.

And yes, if you use Sony's eBook Library to transfer ebooks to the Reader, you need to replace its fonts as well since it will paginate books when you transfer them in the fonts the library itself uses. I'll note that in the new version of the guide too.

I use calibre so it slipped my mind to mention that.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #17
Rontonio
Rontonio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
By identical fonts do you mean the Caecilia that I renamed Dutch with the Font Creator program to trick the reader when I installed the hack? Also, how do I get the new font into the reader library? Delete the cache .xml on the reader?
Rontonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 07:14 AM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The files in "\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts" should be exactly the same as the ones you upload to the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #19
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontonio View Post
By identical fonts do you mean the Caecilia that I renamed Dutch with the Font Creator program to trick the reader when I installed the hack? Also, how do I get the new font into the reader library? Delete the cache .xml on the reader?
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The files in "\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts" should be exactly the same as the ones you upload to the Reader.
This is already in the guide: Appendix E, page 17.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #20
Rontonio
Rontonio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
OK. It's all much clearer now. Last night I dragged the book files from my HD directly into the Reader and the device formatted the books correctly. I have replaced the font file in the eBook library with the one I created for the Reader as you suggested. It should all be good now. I really like the new font, and appreciate the clock. Thanks again.
Rontonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #21
mulderfox
mulderfox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Can I add hebrew font support this way?
mulderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #22
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulderfox View Post
Can I add hebrew font support this way?
I think you should be able to. If your font has hebrew support, it should work. Use Sony's eBook Library software to preview your book and check if your font works (instructions on how change the eBook Library's fonts are in Appendix E of the guide).
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Times New Roman has Hebrew support in the upper characters.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #24
mulderfox
mulderfox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
thanks!
mulderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #25
Ha3hem
Ha3hem began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader Prs-505
Thanks for the guide.
I have a big question: how can i read persian(Farsi) ebooks in my 505 ?
Can I replace default fonts with Farsi fonts ?

regards.
Ha3hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha3hem View Post
Thanks for the guide.
I have a big question: how can i read persian(Farsi) ebooks in my 505 ?
Can I replace default fonts with Farsi fonts ?

regards.
Well, is Farsi written (and read) right-to-left? If it is, I'm afraid you're out of luck. As far as I know, the Reader doesn't display right-to-left fonts correctly...

If Farsi is written left-to-right (like English), then all you need to do is replace the default font with a font that has Farsi characters (you of course need to have a Farsi e-book, too). The Reader supports Unicode.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #27
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Question

Hi Valloric,

thank you for your detailed guide.
Now i will dare to change my default font (tonite), because i find the reader's default font quite un-legible.

I just wanted to buy the Ceacilia, but I found that there are many different versions (Std, Light, Roman etc.) . Which one are you using on the 505?

Thanks in advance

ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #28
Ha3hem
Ha3hem began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader Prs-505
Thank you Valloric for answer.
Ha3hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #29
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
I just wanted to buy the Ceacilia, but I found that there are many different versions (Std, Light, Roman etc.) . Which one are you using on the 505?
I am using Caecilia LT Std Roman. When looking at font families, the "Roman" version is usually the default. Avoid "Heavy", "Light", "Italic" etc for general use.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #30
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
Any idea what is going on here?
I reflashed the ereader using the PRS-505 Updater 1.1.00.18040.
Then I used the customiser to install and use the Cambria font (which had been modded as per instructions) and to change a couple of other settings (uniform font size and customisation).
All went well and the reader was fine - books were readable etc.
But when connected by USB (to a windowsxp machine) the reader was detected, calibre found it but the ebook library would not run (said error).
Upon disconnecting the usb the reader hung and needed to be reset.
Tried the above a couple of times but always the same - everything appeared to be fine until the usb was connected.
Tried different fonts - same problem.

Next I reflashed and again used the customiser but this time without changing the fonts.
Now everything worked as it should.
For some obscure reason changing the font is causing a problem ( i believe there was another poster a while back with a similar problem).
I am using a UK Reader - could that have anything to do with it?

Any suggestions as to what i might try?
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote