Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #706
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The magazine I tested with, the May 1 issue of Food Network, was 81MB as a single PRC (MOBI) file in the Android app and 87MB as a set of 32 KFX files in the iOS app.
Good grief....
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:43 AM   #707
DaveyDave
DaveyDave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Since it's excluded from the DRM, are there any tools to edit the metadata.kfx file found in the "bookname.sdr/assets" folder on an e-ink Kindle? I'm hoping to be able to rename some book titles to organize books in a series better.

Thanks!

Last edited by DaveyDave; 07-26-2018 at 08:56 AM.
DaveyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #708
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Since it's excluded from the DRM, are there any tools to edit the metadata.kfx file found in the "bookname.sdr/assets" folder on an e-ink Kindle? I'm hoping to be able to rename some book titles to organize books in a series better.
I am unaware of any such tool.

If such a tool existed I am skeptical as to whether it would cause the Kindle to perform as you hope. What happens when the metadata contained within a book is at odds with that delivered by Amazon's servers? Probably nothing would happen until you trigger the Kindle to re-index that book. Doing so might update the Kindle's internal metadata database, but the change might be temporary (until the next sync) and have unwanted side effects. It is hard to know without actually trying.

I assume that you want to retain the linkage between the retitled book on your Kindle and your Amazon account so that reading position, collection membership, and notes will sync and features like x-ray will still function. Otherwise you could just replace the entire book (instead of that single file) with a copy having updated metadata.

I do know that others make title changes to their Kindle books in other formats (mobi/azw3) for the same reason that you want to do so. Perhaps someone who does that can describe how that works out in terms of the features I mentioned above. The results would likely be the same for KFX format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #709
DaveyDave

Thanks for the info. I've used your excellent KFX Output plugin for Calibre (thanks for that!) to convert several DRM-free epubs for use on a new PW3. I decided to use the KFX format because I really like the enhanced typesetting features. Using your plugin allowed me to modify titles when needed.

I haven't bothered with the collections feature because I incorporate series information into my title naming scheme. This makes it easy to group series in an alphabetical list.

I also haven't tested syncing the reading position because I only use one device. I don't read on phones, tablets or computers because I have vision problems that are mitigated with an e-ink screen. Therefore, my Kindle will be my sole e-reader.

I've also discovered that playing an audiobook through my Amazon Echo at the same time as reading on my Kindle really helps my comprehension when my eye problems make it difficult to see certain portions of the screen. As such, I now buy all of my books from Amazon so that I can purchase the Audible companion as well.

I was just hoping for an easy way to modify the metadata when necessary while still using the KFX format. I'll just have to get over my OCD and use the search function to find titles instead of a nicely organized alphabetical list.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #710
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
I was just hoping for an easy way to modify the metadata when necessary while still using the KFX format. I'll just have to get over my OCD and use the search function to find titles instead of a nicely organized alphabetical list.
Since you don't care about those other features you should be able to change the title of a book in KFX format using the existing tools. It will take a number of steps to accomplish.
  • You will need to have the KFX Input, KFX Output, and DeDRM plugins installed in calibre.
  • Since calibre's "Add books to library" function does not work in Device view for KFX format, the easiest way to add the book is attach your kindle via USB, open an Explorer view of the "documents" folder on the device, and drag the desired book from there to the calibre window in Library view. If all goes well you will then have a book entry in your calibre library for that book showing KFX format.
  • Change the title of that book in the calibre library to whatever you like.
  • Use "Configure this device" to make sure that the ".kfx" format list checked as an available format for your Kindle.
  • Use "Send to device" to send the book back to your Kindle in KFX format. This will update the metadata in the book and send it back to the Kindle as a new book.
  • After ejecting the device and syncing you should see the book under both the old and new names. Remove the original from the device if you wish.

This procedure should work, but I can't guarantee that there won't be side-effects from doing this.

Update: I tried the above instructions and it did not go well. The Kindle acted very oddly with two copies of the "same" book on it. For example, I was unable to delete either of the copies. Perhaps removing the original before adding the new one would have worked better. I don't know, but I'm not going to test this any further.

Added: Use these instructions at your own risk!

Last edited by jhowell; 07-26-2018 at 03:43 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #711
DaveyDave

Thank for your help.

Last edited by DaveyDave; 07-28-2018 at 10:51 AM.