Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Thaliya
Thaliya began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Moon Reader Reading Progress Sync

Hey,

i have just one Question: How can I sync my reading progress between my devices?
Im currently using a Kobo Glo (with Kobo Utilities for Reading Progress) and Calibre Companion with Moon+ Reader on Android.

Now I want to be able to Sync my Reading progress between the Kobo - Calibre - Moon+ Reader.
To copy the Progress from Kobo I use the Kobo Utilities which work great - but how can I use this data to have the same Progress on my Android device after sync?

Thanks
Thaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
As far as I know, you can't. Moon+ can sync with itself, as can (I think) the kobo devices. Unfortunately these "reader apps" cannot sync with each other.

CC plays no role in syncing reading positions. It has no idea what progress has been made in a given reader app and has no way of providing a current position to a reader app.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Thaliya
Thaliya began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Ok thanks. Is there any other possibility to achieve what i want? Other Apps .. ?
Thaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Most likely to work would be to use the same app on each device, which may be problematic if you are using a dedicated reader device.

I solve this problem by using having only android devices, both e-ink and led displays, and using moon+ as my reading app on all of them and enabling it's dropbox sync feature. I have no idea if the kobo android app is "usable" on android or if it syncs with kobo readers.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
As far as I know Kobo can sync your reading position between the Android app and a Kobo eink device but only for books you buy from Kobo and only if you let the Kobo servers handle loading onto the devices. If you routinely de-DRM your Kobo purchases, store in calibre then sideload to the devices via calibre/CC, the Kobo servers will no longer 'recognise' these sideloaded copies.

I believe Amazon are slightly less restrictive but you still need to do things the 'Amazon way' to have any progress-sync'ing success.

Just a personal opinion, but the Amazon and Kobo Android apps are so feature-poor compared to 3rd-party offerings that I can't be bothered with either of them to be honest. The Kobo app doesn't even announce itself as an epub reader so that CC can open your epubs in it. The Amazon app is slightly better in this respect - but not by much.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert