Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
mao_king
mao_king began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 wifi
PLS HELP! my prst1 keeps freezing when I connect to computer

PLS HELP! i upgraded my prst1 to latest version (1.0.07) after that it got 2 problems:

1. it kept freezing when I connect to computer
2. wifi configuration cannot be FOUND.

i tried all of solutions posted in this forum, like SD_rescure package, initialize to factory setting,etc... all of them didn't work.

PLEASE HELP ME TO SAVE MY READER.

THANKS A LOT
mao_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Was it rooted? I think you have to remove root before upgrading.

If you have an SD card in there, take it out. It could be a bad book.

Search for t1 freeze. E.g.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=sony+freeze

Last edited by Rizla; 08-11-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Claudio75
Claudio75 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I've the same problem!

I've upgraded my PRS-T1 firmware from 1.0.05 to 1.0.07. Last week I decide to downgrade the firmware back to the 1.0.05 release in order to root it again.
I used the rescue_sd_1.0.05.
After that my reader freez every time I plug in my USB cable and wi-fi was not working (error).
I try to install the rescue_sd_1.0.06 and now wi-fi work fine but the T1 still freeze every time I plug in my USB cable.

Someone can help me restoring the T1 in order to work fine? every firmware release is ok for me now....

Second question: someone know if there are a way to authorize the T1 to the DRM without connect the T1 to the PC via USB (that does not work)?

Please every help was appreciated.

Claudio
Claudio75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
vpi_bg
vpi_bg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS t1
I did the same "mistakes", please share if you find a solution
vpi_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Ammimo
Ammimo began at the beginning.

I have more or less same problem.

As a matter of fact, I upgrade my reader to 1.0.07 and then I run rupor-update and after that I had problem with Home.apk so I tried restore-set-1.0.05.11130-us and now

1- Reader freezes when I connect it to PC by USB
2- I can not connect by WiFi

Please help me to recover my reader to 1.0.07 or downgrade it to 1.0.04 or 1.0.05

By the way in my country there is no support for ebook reader.

Thank you
Ammimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
jonatasmello
Sony PRS-T1
jonatasmello began at the beginning.

Hi, same problem for me:

1- Reader freezes when I connect it to PC by USB
2- I can not connect by WiFi (error)

everything else works...
I can get console access using rupor-rescue...
Thanks
jonatasmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
forkpower
forkpower has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-t1
Had this problem too - and solved it

you have to connect the reader in recovery (rupor-rescue) mode to a linux machine. i used debian...

in recovery mode you have access to the whole internal memory like to an external disk.

you can extract the official firmware and copy the 'PRS-T1 Updater.package' to the reader-partition of the internal flashdisk. the update can be started by pressing home and menu while powering on. (wait till the bar is in the middle and release the keys)

the problem is, that the update only installs, if the version on the reader is lower than the version of the update. there is a check built in the updatepack.

i used a hexeditor in linux, connected it to the reader-memory (sdb) and changed by search and replace manually all version strings found on the disk to 1.0.00.09010. the strings are easy to find, because they are in ASCII and readable in hexedit.

{there is a script on the diag-partition of the reader-memory (version_check.sh). you can start this script via console and see all version-strings you have to search and replace on the disk.}

after replacing all found strings i copied 'PRS-T1 Updater.package' 1.0.05.11130 to the reader-partition of the internal flashdisk once again. i rebooted the device without the sd-card and the updatepack 1.0.05.11130 in the READER partition did its job.

after this update my wifi and usb where back. now it was able to install the official 1.0.07.05070 via usb from windows pc...

do it on your own risk. it is potentially unsave to hexedit a partition's content. but if the device is already bricked, it is just a try.

Last edited by forkpower; 04-13-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: ergänzung
forkpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #8
kauno
kauno began at the beginning.

Device: sony prst1
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
you have to connect the reader in recovery (rupor-rescue) mode to a linux machine. i used debian...

in recovery mode you have access to the whole internal memory like to an external disk.

you can extract the official firmware and copy the 'PRS-T1 Updater.package' to the reader-partition of the internal flashdisk. the update can be started by pressing home and menu while powering on. (wait till the bar is in the middle and release the keys)

the problem is, that the update only installs, if the version on the reader is lower than the version of the update. there is a check built in the updatepack.

i used a hexeditor in linux, connected it to the reader-memory (sdb) and changed by search and replace manually all version strings found on the disk to 1.0.00.09010. the strings are easy to find, because they are in ASCII and readable in hexedit.

{there is a script on the diag-partition of the reader-memory (version_check.sh). you can start this script via console and see all version-strings you have to search and replace on the disk.}

after replacing all found strings i copied 'PRS-T1 Updater.package' 1.0.05.11130 to the reader-partition of the internal flashdisk once again. i rebooted the device without the sd-card and the updatepack 1.0.05.11130 in the READER partition did its job.

after this update my wifi and usb where back. now it was able to install the official 1.0.07.05070 via usb from windows pc...

do it on your own risk. it is potentially unsave to hexedit a partition's content. but if the device is already bricked, it is just a try.

Code:
[root (ttyGS0)]# version_check.sh 
NAND                :1.0.07.05070
MBR                 :N/A
uBoot               :1.0.03.11140
Boot Env            :1.0.03.11140
Reserved1           :N/A
Normal Kernel       :1.0.07.05070
Normal Rootfs       :1.0.07.05070
Recovery Kernel     :1.0.03.11140
Reserved2           :N/A
Normal Boot Env     :1.0.03.11140
Recovery Boot Env   :1.0.03.11140
Raw Data Table      :1.0.03.11140
Info                :1.0.03.11140
Id                  :1.0.03.11140
Reserved3           :N/A
Boot Image          :1.0.03.11140
Waveform            :1.0.03.11140
LOG                 :N/A
Recovery Rootfs     :1.0.03.11140
Diag                :1.0.03.11140
READER              :1.0.03.11140
fonts               :1.0.03.11140
dictionaries        :1.0.03.11140
SETTING             :1.0.03.11140
preload             :1.0.03.11140
data                :1.0.03.11140
system              :1.0.07.05070
EPD                 :05064A00032401233C31
Sub CPU (firmware)  :2011/09/19 :33
Sub CPU (updater)   :2011/05/31 :1
OK
I cant find any of these version strings as raw ASCII anywhere on mounts. They seem to be result of complex calculations in version_check.

And what is the "sdb"-disk you mention? I get 9 disk partitions mounted: "data Diag dictionaries fonts preload READER Recovery SETTING system".
kauno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
forkpower

i connected the reader in recoverymode to my linux-machine. /etc/sdb was the blockdevice of the reader. i used hexedit directly on this blockdevice, not on any partition. you do not need to mount any partition for editing the blockdevice via hexedit. unmount all partitions before you access the blockdevice. the whole flashdisk can be handled like a big imagefile.

mounting is only needed for copying the updatepack to the reader-partition. you can do this before or after replacing the version strings.

i found the version strings using the searchfunction of hexedit. replacing has to be done via keyboard. after replacing a string you can continue the search. it stops on any found instance with the cursor. for searching and replacing all strings i only needed about 5 mins. in the right corner of the hexedit screen the content is shown als plaintext. you have to look in this section. on the left area you only can see the bytecode in hex. (use tab to switch to ascii mode before searching with strg+s)

you have to replace all instances on the whole blockdevice ("1.0.07.05070" with "1.0.03.11140"). there can be more than one instance. changes must be written to the device, of cource. this can be done in hexedit too.

after this the updatepack from reader-partition should run correctly like i wrote above. after update the device should be working nice.

Last edited by forkpower; 05-29-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
kauno
kauno began at the beginning.

Device: sony prst1
Quote:
after this the updatepack from reader-partition should run correctly like i wrote above. after update the device should be working nice.
Confirmed.

This is how you search strings from disk:
Code:
$ cat /dev/sdd | strings | grep "1\.0\.07"
There was plenty but I replaced only first four.

BTW. Here is handy battery replacement:https://www.flickr.com/photos/timono...7644433650237/ . Note the heat sensor fix.

Last edited by kauno; 05-30-2015 at 06:43 AM.
kauno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #11
f-killer
f-killer began at the beginning.

Device: Tap Pro 12.2
Quote:

Thanks for the nice solution. I have same problem.
rupor-rescue image in SD card and connect my T1 to pc via USB.
I use Ubuntu. But I can't see /dev in any mounted folder.
I'm not sure, this is some kind of permissions problem.
Any advice would be appreciated.
f-killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
Claudio75
Claudio75 began at the beginning.

Thank you!

Quote:
i connected the reader in recoverymode to my linux-machine. /etc/sdb was the blockdevice of the reader. i used hexedit directly on this blockdevice, not on any partition. you do not need to mount any partition for editing the blockdevice via hexedit. unmount all partitions before you access the blockdevice. the whole flashdisk can be handled like a big imagefile.

mounting is only needed for copying the updatepack to the reader-partition. you can do this before or after replacing the version strings.

i found the version strings using the searchfunction of hexedit. replacing has to be done via keyboard. after replacing a string you can continue the search. it stops on any found instance with the cursor. for searching and replacing all strings i only needed about 5 mins. in the right corner of the hexedit screen the content is shown als plaintext. you have to look in this section. on the left area you only can see the bytecode in hex. (use tab to switch to ascii mode before searching with strg+s)

you have to replace all instances on the whole blockdevice ("1.0.07.05070" with "1.0.03.11140"). there can be more than one instance. changes must be written to the device, of cource. this can be done in hexedit too.

Thank you very much for your help! I follow your suggestions and now my reader work fine again!

Claudio
Claudio75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
forkpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-killer View Post
Thanks for the nice solution. I have same problem.
rupor-rescue image in SD card and connect my T1 to pc via USB.
I use Ubuntu. But I can't see /dev in any mounted folder.
I'm not sure, this is some kind of permissions problem.
Any advice would be appreciated.
/dev is a system folder and can be found in nearly every unix-like operating system. all files in this folder are VIRTUAL FILES for accessing hardware devices.

take a terminal and type:

cd /dev
ls

now you can see all device-files.

for example:

/dev/sda is the first harddisk
/dev/sdb is the second harddisk
/dev/sda1 is the first primary partition on the first harddisk
/dev/sda2 is the second primary partition on the first harddisk
/dev/sdb3 is the third primary partition on the second harddisk

if you have only one harddisk in your computer and connect any memory device to usb, /dev/sdb will be in most cases the device on usb.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 AM   #14
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I'd like to downgrade from the most recent firmware version to something rootable... but I don't understand a word of the above explanations on how to do this.

Can anyone explain this step by step to a non-linux user? I've got a USB bootable version of linux somewhere around here.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
tribune
tribune began at the beginning.

Quote:

Hi everybody,

I also run into the problem: usb freezes when i connect to usb/pc.
Flashed the latest 1.0.07 firmware and then rooted...dumb...
..could get into recovery to find and replace the version strings, but
that does not work for me!?
The process with updating 'PRS-T1 Updater.package' does not start at all.
I used to tap menu and home, then switch the device on....nothing...no update. Think i made all as described!?

Could any one help me with this problem????

greetz
t.
tribune is offline   Reply With Quote