Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Modifications for bad eyes

In the last years, the Modifications for bad eyes went through several transformations. For user instructions for patching more recent versions of the firmware, cf. this post which describes the process with regard to FW 4.3.8842 and Aura One.

#####
Some time ago I started modifying libnickel in an attempt to make the Touch more useful for people with bad eyesight. Because of copyright concerns I didn't upload the files in this forum, but offered to share them per PM.
Several people asked for some changes, or asked for a modified version of one FW in order to compare them to the original and apply them to the file of another FW or for another device. For these and some other reasons, I thought it might be better to share information and patch files, so that everybody can produce her own modified version.
Therefore, I put together a package consisting of one executable (for Windows), several patch files and a punch of batch files (for Windows). [The patch files, by the way, can be opened and edited with a simple text editor and show in detail what changes are made to libnickel; they contain also comments for easier maintenance. So they might be useful for people who don't intend to use the other parts of the package too.]

The current package is for FW 2.6.1b. (There are packages for FW 2.8.1[a], FW 3.0.0, FW 3.0.1, FW 3.1.1, FW 3.2.0, FW 3.3.0, FW 3.5.0, FW 3.8.0 (For install instructions for these packages see those for 2.8.1[a]); FW 3.12.0, FW 3.12.1, FW 3.13.1, FW 3.14.0, FW 3.15.0, FW 3.16.0, FW 3.17.0, FW 3.17.3, FW 3.18.0, FW 3.19.5613, FW 3.19.5761, FW 4.0.7523, FW 4.1.7729, FW 4.2.8110, FW 4.2.8283, FW 4.2.8432, FW 4.3.8842, FW 4.3.8871, FW 4.3.8929, 4.3.8945 and 4.3.8966,FW 4.3.9084,
FWs 4.4.9298, 4.4.9344, 4.4.9349, 4.5.9587 , 4.4.9995
)

The current package modifies
- the library view (books, shelves)
- the annotation list and details view
- the search list
- some menus
- the dictionary
- the header and footer texts
- as an option it can set the user language to en_GB

If everything goes as planned, the whole process can be achieved with some mouse clicks.

I prepared the package mainly for the Touch. I did however change the values for Glow/Mini/Aura whenever I easily found them. Since I only own a Touch, I had to guess the values for the other devices without checking the results (so some of them are probably off).

If you have some findings or suggestions, please share them.

I attach one picture here. See here and here more pictures of earlier attempts (the current results however are slightly better).

Instructions are included in the package. I put it here too for your convenience:
Spoiler:
This presupposes that your OS is Windows XP or newer and that 7-zip is installed.

Preparing
1) unzip kbpatcher.zip on your PC (you should then have something like: C:\mytestprogs\kobopatcher)
2) download the upgrade file 2.6.1b (mark 4) to somewhere on the SAME drive (e.g. C:\) as kobopatcher is located
3) extract KoboRoot.tar from the upgrade file
4) drag and drop KoboRoot.tar onto 01_drop_KoboRoot.tar_here.bat (drop it ONTO the .bat file, don't drop it IN/INTO the folder!)

Patching
5) double click on 02_libnickel_bigfontsize.bat
6) double click on one or several of the 03_...bat files, as fits your needs (the file names are self explaining, I hope)

Compressing
7) double click on 04_makeKoboRoot.bat

If everything went smooth, you should now find a new KoboRoot.tgz in the folder newKoboRoot. Connect your reader to the PC, copy KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder of the reader, eject and disconnect the reader from the PC.

ATTENTION: The current patch files are only applicable to FW 2.6.1b. Your reader must have installed FW 2.6.1b. In order to know whether FW 2.6.1 is installed look at Settings>Device Information. To find whether it is version "b", use the test file from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=63. Take the epub (rather than the kepub.epub). If the png-image does not display, you are on FW 2.6.1a, if it does display, you are on 2.6.1b.
DISCLAIMER: Use this package at your own risk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KT261b_large.jpg
Views:	4893
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	108766  
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobopatcher.zip (59.6 KB, 909 views)

Last edited by tshering; 11-04-2017 at 12:27 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
miyata
miyata began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Google Nexus 10
This wouldn't work with 2.8.1 I suppose? Are you planning to upgrade this patch? What if one would use this and metazoas patch together?
So many questions...
To get this one for the latest Firmware would be a real bless for me, cause I actually use magnifying glasses to adjust settings on the aura, would be nice to be able to do that without 'em...
miyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyata View Post
This wouldn't work with 2.8.1 I suppose?
You are right.[QUOTE=miyata;2610414]
Quote:
Are you planning to upgrade this patch?
Yes, I do. Since in 2.8.1 much of the relevant data is compressed, it has become a little bit more difficult to do. Immediately after the release of 2.8.1, I made a minimal bad-eyes-version for Touch (I changed only the size of menus, dictionary and annotations, since those data are still not compressed and are therefore easy to deal with). Yesterday night, I had another look into it. I think I am able now to handle the compressed data too. At the moment, I don't know exactly how to go about it in detail in order to make it easily usable. Maybe, I could produce a configuration file for matazoa's patcher. A problem is that metazoa's patcher only deals with libnickel, but we need to change nickel too. Another problem is, that I only have a Touch. This makes it difficult to know, whether what I do has the intended effect on other devices, especially since the Touch and Mini on the on hand, and the Glo and Aura (HD) on the other seem to drift apart more and more concerning the user interface. [On a side note, I did not get any feedback telling how the 2.6.1 patch worked for Glo and Aura. Therefore, it is not easy to continue working on that branch]

Quote:
What if one would use this and metazoas patch together?
If both are for the same FW version [for the time being this can only be 2.6.1], there should not be any problem, I guess.
Quote:
So many questions...
To get this one for the latest Firmware would be a real bless for me, cause I actually use magnifying glasses to adjust settings on the aura, would be nice to be able to do that without 'em...
Changing the font size of the setting screens is especially difficult. The reason is, that these screens tend to be crowded and thee positions of the elements are fixed. Increasing the font size leads therefore easily to overlapping elements.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard

Modification for Bad Eyes FW 2.8.1[a]

Since it is unclear when the next major FW will be released for devices other than the Aura, and I don't know if I will be able to make a bad eyes patch for it, I publish a patch for FW 2.8.1[a] (9a63806202) now, even though this FW is not any longer available for download.

As there have been some major changes since 2.6.1, I reworked the package completely. It is now easier to use, but still flexible, and compatible with Metazoa-style patch definitions.

Usage:
- double click on 281a.bat
- copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz, which you will find in the folder 281a_target, to the .kobo folder on your device.

This is, if you have a Touch. If you want to use the patch for another model, you have to edit the configuration files (you can find them in the folder 281a_source).

Some notes on the configuration files:
Spoiler:
Example of a patch job
Code:
<patch>
name=gray to black
enabled=true
action=replace_zlib
position=11E34D4
olddata=background-color: #d8d8d8;
newdata=background-color: #000000;
</patch>
Since long data strings tend to be confusing, it is possible to split them up; for instance

Code:
<patch>
name=Library Books, Title
enabled=true
action=replace_zlib
position=11F7FFC

oldpart=* {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n\tfont-family: Georgia;\n}\n\n
oldpart=[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}\n\n
oldpart=[deviceCodeName="pixie"] {\n\tfont-size: 21px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}

newpart=* {\n\tfont-size: 24px;\n\tfont-family: Georgia;\n}\n\n
newpart=[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}\n\n
newpart=[deviceCodeName="pixie"] {\n\tfont-size: 21px;\n}\n\n
newpart=[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}

combineparts
</patch>
Be aware that the size of the newdata (or of the combined newparts) is not arbitrary.
If the action is replace_string, the length of the unescaped newdata has to be exactly the same as of the unescaped olddata.
If the action is replace_zlib, the unescaped and compressed newdata has to have the same size as or a smaller the size than the unescaped and compressed olddata.
If the action is replace_utf8chars, replace_float, replace_int, or replace_bytes the number of utf8 chars and so on has to be the same in olddata and newdata.

It is not always easy to guess whether the size of the compressed newdata is acceptable, but the patcher will tell you.

If the size of newdata was to big, I removed css definitions that refer to another model than the Touch by putting # in front of the newpart; e.g.

Code:
<patch>
name=annotation list, highlighted text
enabled=true
action=replace_zlib
position=11E85C4

oldpart=*{\nfont-size: 20px;\nfont-family: Avenir;\npadding-left: 10px;\npadding-top: 5px;\npadding-bottom: 3px;\nbackground-color: #CCCCCC;\nmin-height: 24px;\nmax-height: 24px;\nborder: 1px solid white;\n}\n\n
oldpart=*[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n*[deviceCodeName="phoenix"]{\nfont-size: 25px;\npadding-left: 12px;\npadding-top: 6px;\npadding-bottom: 4px;\nmin-height: 30px;\nmax-height: 30px;\n}\n\n
oldpart=[localeName="ja_JP"] {\nfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}

newpart=*{\nfont-size: 30px;\nfont-family: Avenir;\npadding-left: 10px;\npadding-top: 5px;\npadding-bottom: 3px;\nbackground-color: #CCCCCC;\nmin-height: 34px;\nmax-height: 24px;\nborder: 1px solid white;\n}\n\n
#newpart=*[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n*[deviceCodeName="phoenix"]{\nfont-size: 25px;\npadding-left: 12px;\npadding-top: 6px;\npadding-bottom: 4px;\nmin-height: 30px;\nmax-height: 30px;\n}\n\n
newpart=[localeName="ja_JP"] {\nfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}

combineparts
</patch>
If you don't read Japanese and want to use the same patch configuration for Touch, Glo (and Aura HD) you would move the # to the next line and make appropriate changes for Glo and Aura HD.

For an example of how to use MZ-style patch definitions, see the last patch in conf_libnickel.txt.

USE THIS PACKAGE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Make sure your reader is on FW 2.8.1[a] (9a63806202)!

I add some pictures so that you can see advantages and disadvantages (look at the long title in the Books list).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	1620
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	113134   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_005.png
Views:	1540
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	113135   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_008.png
Views:	1430
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	113136   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_011.png
Views:	1463
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	113137   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_012.png
Views:	1405
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	113138   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_014.png
Views:	1459
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	113139  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kobopatcher02.zip (11.81 MB, 635 views)

Last edited by tshering; 10-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
KJB
KJB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
This is, if you have a Touch. If you want to use the patch for another model, you have to edit the configuration files (you can find them in the folder 281a_source).
Thanks for working on this! But in what way exactly should I edit de config-files on my Kobo Glo to get this working? I'm not that used to fiddling around with these config-files so I don't understand (sorry).
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard

There are some points we should keep in mind (in addition to what I said in my previous post, especially in the spoiler).
  • We should make changes only to those lines that start with "newdata" or "newpart".
  • In the css declarations, the Kobo models are referred to by their code names.
  • Touch is called "trilogy", MIni is called "pixie", Glo is called "kraken", Aura HD is called "dragon" and the new Aura is called "phoenix".
  • Since you have a Glo you will look out especially for kraken.
  • We are mainly concerned with the properties font-size, and line-height.
Let us try an example:
Code:
<patch>
name=ReadingFooter
enabled=true
action=replace_zlib
... some lines  skipped here
newpart=* {\n\tfont-size: 28px;\n}\n\n
newpart=[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n
newpart=[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n
newpart=[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}

combineparts
</patch>
There is a line that starts with newpart=[deviceCodeName="kraken"], and in this line, there is the declaration font-size: 20px. This is the part you might want to change, Maybe you try to replace 20 by 32. If you apply the patch, you will see whether you would like to choose a smaller or larger font size.
One important point is,that the action is replace_zlib. As I explained in my previous post (in the spoiler), with this action, the compressed size of the modified data has to be equal or smaller than the compressed original data. This is something that is sometimes hard to guess. For instance, if you replace 20 by 32, the size remains the same, if you replace it by 34, the size increases by 1 byte. If you take 36, the size remains again the same. If you run 281a.bat, there will be an error message telling that in the patch with the name ReadingFooter the size of the new data is too large (if this is the case). Trying for each patch, whether the changes increase the compressed data or not, is cumbersome. Therefore, to be on the safe side, you can put the sign # in front of the line
Code:
newpart=[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n
This is as much as deleting the line. Since this line contains only a declaration for the Aura HD, it is dispensable for you.

Try to treat the other patches accordingly. Don't forget to consider the different types of action! (As for editing, I would recommend you turn off word wrapping.) If you have some questions let me know.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard

Modification for Bad Eyes FW 3.0.0

As always, my main target was the Kobo Touch. However, I also changed the values for Mini, Glo, HP Aura, if applicable. Since I had to guess the values for these later models, they will probably need some fine tuning. If anyone modifies the values for any of the models, it would by nice if she could share the configuration files here in order to benefit other users.

This version changes the font size of
  • Menu
  • Footer and Header
  • Library
  • Dictionary
  • Annotations (only details view)
  • I will possibly add further changes in future.

As an example of how to include Metazoa-style patch definitions, I included
  • Advanced Font Control (by Metazoa)

Usage:
- double click on 3.0.0.bat
- copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz, which you will find in the folder 3.0.0_target, to the .kobo folder on your device.

Make sure your reader is on FW 3.0.0 (0cbc3626b3)!
USE THIS PACKAGE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher03.zip (12.85 MB, 554 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
tshering
Wizard

I would like to increase the font size of many more elements. If I follow the same procedure as up to now, this would mean that I have to handle each of these elements individually (which is more time consuming than I can afford), and the resulting configuration files would become too large to be comfortably handled by users.

As a compromise, I increased the font size of all elements that I could easily find by 10 percent (for all models), apart from the elements covered by the configuration files.

Make sure your reader is on FW 3.0.0 (0cbc3626b3)!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FW300_02.png
Views:	1121
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	115478   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW300_04.png
Views:	1080
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	115479   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW300_05.png
Views:	1080
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	115480   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW300_06.png
Views:	984
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	115481   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW300_07.png
Views:	1016
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	115482   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW300_08.png
Views:	1019
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	115483   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW300_09.png
Views:	1046
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	115484   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW300_10.png
Views:	1073
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	115485  
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher03plus.zip (12.85 MB, 527 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
questerymj
questerymj began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hello tshering, I'd try install 2.6.1 patch for my kobo glo, but I can't see any different. Does anything I missed or need to set?
questerymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard

Hi questerymj,

As I said in my first post, I had to guess the values for Mini/Glow/Aura HD. Therefore, it is very likely that I choose a too small font size for the Glow. However, I am surprised that you see no difference at all. I guess you executed 03_libnickel_glo_dict_ryumin.bat. If so, then try changing values in kobo261_libnickel_glo_dict_ryumin.txt.
Replace
Code:
font-size:(20)30px;(20)line-height:(20)34px;
with (for instance)
Code:
font-size:(20)40px;(20)line-height:(20)42px;
If this doesn't show any effect, then something other must have gone wrong.

Generally, I would recommend that you update your Glow to 3.0.0 and use the patch for this version. The handling of this patch is much more user friendly and the configuration files are easier to read and edit. If you do this, open the file conf_libnickel.txt and look for the Dictionary entry, there you find this line

Code:
oldpart=* { font: %1px %2; line-height: %4em; }\n
"* { font: %1px %2; line-height: %4em; }\n" is the original code. As you see, %1, %2 and %4 are place holders which the reader application will replace by the font size, the font family, and the line height respectively. Since I did not like the values chosen by the application, I replaced them:

Code:
newpart=* { font-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;font-size: 24px; line-height: 28px; }\n
The font-size of 24px is rather big on the Touch, for other models you might possibly want to increase it. The font will work nicely for Japanese and most Latin based alphabets. However, I provide two alternatives:
Code:
newpart=* { font-family: A-OTF Ryumin Pr6N ;font-size: 24px; line-height: 28px; } \n
and
Code:
newpart=* { font-family: Georgia ;font-size: 24px; line-height: 28px; } \n
For reading Chinese you might need to choose another font in order to see all characters. If you do so, take care, that the size of the new code is not bigger than the size of the original code. The size of the original code (* { font: %1px ... !important; }) is 300 byte (\n is worth 1 byte).

I am preparing the patch for 3.0.1 right now. But since I am trying to improve over the previous patches, it might take me some more days. If you want to install FW 3.0.1 now, the new position of the definition (which is still the same) is
Code:
position=113D6F4
Don't forget to disable all other patches, since their positions/encodings have changed.

Last edited by tshering; 11-27-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
questerymj
questerymj began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Hello tshering:

Thanks for your detailed reply!

After a fail I hard reset my glo and reinstall 3.0 and your patch, now everything worked like a charm!!!

The font of dictionary is smaller in GLO due to the higher resolution but I think it is nice fairly.

Thank you again for your great MOD!

Last edited by questerymj; 11-28-2013 at 04:01 AM.
questerymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
tshering
Wizard

questerymj,

I am glad it worked for you. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
tshering
Wizard

Modification for Bad Eyes FW 3.0.1

Configurable font size for
  • Footer and Header
  • Library
  • Dictionary
  • Annotations
  • Search
  • TOC

Usage:
- double click on 3.0.1.bat
- copy the newly created KoboRoot.tgz, which you will find in the folder 3.0.1_target, to the .kobo folder on your device.

If you see fit, make changes to the configuration files in the folder 3.0.1_source.

I provide in 3.0.1_plus_source a pre-patched libnickel. There, I tried to increase the font size of as many elements by 15 percent as I was able to find them (apart from those configurable via the configuration file). Put the folder 3.0.1_plus_source in the same folder as 3.0.1_source, and run 3.0.1_plus.bat in order to generate a KoboRoot.tgz from it. It will be created in 3.0.1_plus_target. (I had to remove the 3.0.1_plus_source folder from KBPatcher04.zip because of the size limit for uploads.)

Make sure your reader is on FW 3.0.1!
Attention: This firmware was released in a revised version too. Make sure the libnickel.so.1.0.0 and nickel of this package and the ones on your device are identical!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher04.zip (12.82 MB, 474 views)
File Type: zip 3.0.1_plus_source.zip (12.37 MB, 447 views)

Last edited by tshering; 03-09-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
tshering, any plans for an update compatible with 3.1.1?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
tshering, any plans for an update compatible with 3.1.1?
Since the Touch N905C has some difficulties with 3.1.1, I did not plan to make a version for this FW. But since you show some interest, I did it nonetheless; however without any testing (be warned!) and only a small version (only the user configurable part).

Make sure your reader is on FW 3.1.1!
Attached Files
File Type: zip KBPatcher05.zip (12.89 MB, 474 views)

Last edited by tshering; 12-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.