Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
nalimc
nalimc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Firmware updater: bypass version checks?

Hello!
I recently purchased a PRS-T2 (European version) with firmware 1.0.04.11081... and, obviously, immediately tried to root it. However, it seems locked.

I seem to have found a way to bypass version and model checks in PRS-T2_UPDATER_*.EXE but... now I am stuck again:
- Re-installing 1.0.04.11081 (whether EN or US) works, but doesn't allow jailbreaking.
- Actual downgrading seems to work at first, but displays an error message after automatically rebooting the device.

I guess a second set of version or checksum verifications is happening on-device; any thoughts?

Here is the method I used:

1. Do not run the executable; instead, unpack it with 7zip.

2. Edit "PRS-T2_UPDATER_*\eBookUpdater\scripts\updater.xml" :
Remove "// check model name and is specified revision as well" and the following 4 lines.
Remove "if (this.isNewerOrEqualVersion(version)) {" and the following 5 lines.
Don't touch the next few lines (Starting with "this.") but remove the two lines containing only "}".

3. Launch upgrade using "PRS-T2_UPDATER\Reader Updater.exe"!
nalimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
MadKezza
MadKezza began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
any feedback about this?
MadKezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
This has come up before...

Try these two, you might want to read them fully before you begin! it's fairly involved.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180224...re/td-p/460702
cf https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=244173

detailed steps
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=18

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 05-05-2018 at 04:26 PM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote