Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #106
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Did you do a backup of your preload partition before trying to flash mine?

Did you try to restore your original one?

What version of Reader do you have and what was the original firmware version when you bought it? Mine had version 1.0 (I bought it immediately on release).

Is it possible they modified the partition table structure after the original release?

Did you flash Rupor's full dictionaries pack?
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #107
Br*ste1
Br*ste1 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
It seems like in the meantime I was able to fix my PRS-T1 (although I was very close to taking a ride to the local Sony shop and nailing it on their front door).

I ultimately ended up rebuilding all partitions according to these instructions here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...itioning_Guide

One of the unnerving parts was that I found it impossible to get the correct sizes under Linux - but Putty under Windows finally did the trick.

After rebooting, I simply dd'ed the partitions again you gave me, there were no errors and I've had no problems ever since (knocking on wood).

Bottom line: "Something" screwed up my partitions. Interesting idea that SONY themselves might have changed the partition setup over time, but then again I bought my device over a year ago, so I doubt it (if that lead to all the problems I encountered, it would basically mean that it's unrootable with the standard packages out there, and I assume someone would have reported it by now).

As for the dictionary pack - yes, I flashed that one as well.

Will I root again: Gut says no, brain says now that I know it all, I would be stupid not to.

For now, however, I'm not touching anything for the next couple of months to make sure the problems are really gone.
Br*ste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #108
cielke
cielke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi Guys,

Thank you all very much. Special thanks to entodoays for the post #72.
I followed your guide to bring back the dictionary feature.

I just got one favour. Please correct the entry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
Code:
sudo dd if=PRST1/sdb1.bin of=/dev/sdb1
I nearly sh*tted my pants after getting an error message at that stage.
Oh! and the other thing is, you only need a SD card to fit the rescue pack ~25mb so basically any microSD will do ;-)

thank again and have a wonderful X-mas!
cielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #109
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the correction. I hadn't realised and even though others used the procedure, nobody told me of the error. It is corrected now.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #110
snip
snip began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks for #72 endtodays,

Could you also provide a good version of the data partition (partition 9)? My reader is still unresponsive after following your procedure and doing a full factory reset.

Last edited by snip; 02-17-2014 at 02:01 AM.
snip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #111
entodoays
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by snip View Post
Thanks for #72 endtodays,

Could you also provide a good version of the data partition (partition 9)? My reader is still unresponsive after following your procedure and doing a full factory reset.
There is no need to post the Data partition. Simply doing a hard reset of the unit formats the data partition and permits you to start from scratch hopefully without problems.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #112
omeatoadcom
omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!omeatoadcom , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1
PRS-T1 1.0.07 Partitions

So I've been having the same problem with my reader. The dictionary has been only showing up after 1-2 minutes or not at all, and copying files to my reader via usb took forever and sometimes failed completely.
I've been following the great guide here.

Since my reader was on the most current version 1.0.07, I didn't find any partitions to restore on the Internet. Fortunately I knew someone who still had a working reader, so I've been able to copy the partitions from there. In case there is someone else looking for the partitions I've uploaded them.
v. 1.0.07-eu: https://mega.nz/#F!NNUFCKAI!kV3Kr2Zvsa87_tFiDxOORw
v. 1.0.05-eu: https://mega.nz/#F!VZUlXYLS!LRPiGWlj5JMYhs-GBYzDRg
I've been using a mac with the dd command so the partition name is a bit different. But the partition numbers should be the same as on linux too. Here is a description of the partition's numbers.

The next problem I had in step 5, when taking a backup of the broken reader was the same Br*ste1 had. So for copying the whole image from the broken reader I used his dd command:

sudo dd bs=512 if=/dev/sdb of=/mybackup/PRST1.img conv=noerror,notrunc,sync

I got about 20 errors, but I just ignored them as I'm probably going to overwrite those partitions later anyway.

Restoring in step 13 in the other direction to the reader worked without any errors:

sudo dd bs=512 if=/mybackup/PRST1.img of=/dev/sdb

Then I restored the partitions from the other reader which you can find above and the reader started.

After that I had the problem that the reader wouldn't remember the books I've read and wouldn't load any thumbnails. So the last step was doing a factory reset.

Now it's working perfectly fine on the newest version again!

Last edited by omeatoadcom; 07-04-2017 at 06:29 PM.
omeatoadcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #113
maximovich
maximovich began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by entodoays View Post
3. Disable drive automount by opening a terminal and typing
Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount false
This will avoid all the partitions being mounted when you connect.
4. At this point connect the USB cable to your computer.
5. Do a full backup of the faulty Reader. I used Ubuntu's Disks application by selecting the drive on the list, click the two cog wheels icon (top right of the screen) and select Create disk image. Make sure you get a 2Gb .img file. See http://justpaste.it/2qxi.[/LIST]
I'm running ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64 from a live usb, T1 running firmware 1.0.05.11130, rooted with rupor-minimal.
I have problems with the part 3, i enter the code in terminal and connect the T1 to the pc, but Disks application shows nothing like the picture posted, show PRS-XXXX in the left and in the right all the partitions, i cant backup all at once as a whole, only separately, maybe the terminal code is outdated?
maximovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amr, hanging, prst1, sony