Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 04:47 AM   #1
cedge
cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony eReader PRS-T1, Kindle Keyboard
Possible to root 1.0.07 device and dictionary fix?

I've recently bought this device as it's great in the UK for using with Overdrive to borrow ebooks from Libraries direct without plugging it into a computer however, I'd like to improve its performance as on my device the dictionary is useless (compared to my Kindle (which can't access UK Library eBooks) and it always causes the device to freeze/crash.

My questions are as follows (I have tried searching for answers on this forum and the wider internet but, have been unsuccessful in finding a solution that I feel comfortable trying).

1. Is it possible to fix the dictionary without rooting?

2. It is currently running the latest firmware (1.0.07), is it still possible to root this device and install alternative firmware/reading apps/dictionaries - does this improve its performance and would an app like Overdrive for Android work on the device?

Thanks for your help.
cedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
cedge
cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cedge , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

From what I've read, the rooting is independent of which firmware you have installed but APPS2HD should not be installed.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge View Post
2. It is currently running the latest firmware (1.0.07), is it still possible to root this device and install alternative firmware/reading apps/dictionaries - does this improve its performance and would an app like Overdrive for Android work on the device?

Thanks for your help.
I cannot say what the T1 would be like rooted. But the reason the T1 is sluggish is that it's using old slow hardware with not enough RAM (the memory to run the programs and read the books) and the processor is slow. The only way to get a faster device is to replace the T1 with a faster device better able to handle what you want handled.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
cedge

Thanks, but I'm happy with the T1 as it is one of the few devices that allows you to use Overdrive in the UK without a computer so I want to try and make what I have better.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From all the rumors, it could be that Kobo will soon (hopefully) allow Overdrive access. Then you'll be able to upgrade. New Readers are supposedly due later in August and a firmware may be due soon before or soon after.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
cedge

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
appzh
appzh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1, Boyue, Kindle, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedge View Post
I've recently bought this device as it's great in the UK for using with Overdrive to borrow ebooks from Libraries direct without plugging it into a computer however, I'd like to improve its performance as on my device the dictionary is useless (compared to my Kindle (which can't access UK Library eBooks) and it always causes the device to freeze/crash.

My questions are as follows (I have tried searching for answers on this forum and the wider internet but, have been unsuccessful in finding a solution that I feel comfortable trying).

1. Is it possible to fix the dictionary without rooting?

Thanks for your help.
The problem with dictionary is related to partitions of PRS-T1 device, I had that problem and I can resolved repartitioning my device (1.0.07 version), I recommend only modify partitions 3, 4 and 9, in other words, reduce 400mb to partition 4, add 400mb to partition 3 (extended) and add 400 mb to partition 9 (which is include on partition 3), previously you need to backup your firmware, please review all the process on wiki and I recommend that you do it using linux distro or by windows method (wiki).

If you don't want use the repartition method then follow the instructions on wiki in order to fix bad blocks on partitions 6, 9 and 10, this method help to resolve dictionary freezes in many cases.

Regards.

Last edited by appzh; 06-14-2017 at 02:46 PM.
appzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I recall partitioning can brick the device. Be very careful. Rooting is relatively simple. Partitioning maybe not so much, and a lot more dangerous.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote