Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #391
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeiger View Post
Does anyone (magically) have any information on the next firmware update? Up until now they've pushed out updates for the touch a monthly basis, but it's been two months since the last. I would LIKE to think that considering how broken the entire Kobo system is they would still be working around the clock to put out updates...

Also anyone know what the next update might DO? (bug fixes, features etc)
I know they are working on the next update, but I have no idea if it will come out tomorrow or 6 months from now. Not sure what fixes or features you're likely to see except that the shortlist option in the bottom carousel should be persistent through sync's etc which will at least keep the recommendations permanently hidden.
Not to downplay the issues people are having (they would be extremely aggregating to have and I'm lucky enough that I don't have them), but realize that overall to say "... considering how broken the entire Kobo system is ..." is overstating the issue. I know there are people having issues, but my guess is that in the grand scheme of things it is a smaller percentage than you might think (NOTE: this doesn't apply to the Kobo customer service department which really is systemically broken).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #392
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
No, I have no information. But my pessimistic guess is that they are spending this extra time to put pulse in there rather than fix the existing problems. . .
KOBO:

*Please* don't waste time and resources adding crap like Pulse or any more to do with social integration. In case you missed some significant life-lessons along the way growing up, reading a book is NOT a social experience, it's exactly the opposite. It's an individual, solitary experience. If people want a social experience, they go to see movies...

Please spend your time and resources to make this a better eReader instead, by adding proper library management features (collections, display of metadata, etc), and fix the bloody functionality issues like double page turns and non-registered screen taps.

*PLEASE*!!!

Thank you
TRJB
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #393
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I know they are working on the next update, but I have no idea if it will come out tomorrow or 6 months from now. Not sure what fixes or features you're likely to see except that the shortlist option in the bottom carousel should be persistent through sync's etc which will at least keep the recommendations permanently hidden.
Not to downplay the issues people are having (they would be extremely aggregating to have and I'm lucky enough that I don't have them), but realize that overall to say "... considering how broken the entire Kobo system is ..." is overstating the issue. I know there are people having issues, but my guess is that in the grand scheme of things it is a smaller percentage than you might think ....
Did you read post 382? Did you try any of the steps?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #394
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
No, I have no information. But my pessimistic guess is that they are spending this extra time to put pulse in there rather than fix the existing problems. . .
Wow are you kidding me what garbage. Who cares about the metrics on a book. They are probably going to make a killing on selling marketing data.

I want a basic working device that lets me read books, sort books, categorize, etc.

Social media is something I am quickly loosing interest in. It's a time waster and honestly I want some privacy back. I don't want people to know about what I am reading and when.

This just gets worse and worse. Prime example of the marketing department being to involved in systems development.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #395
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Thumbs down dictionnary - translation

I don't know if it has been signaled (honestly, I read only parts of the post ) But I have an issue with translation/definition. I'm french and I need sometimes to check or to search the meaning of words. So I press the word, ask the menu for translation or definition (quite often the word is not found on translation, while it's found on definition), after having read that, I want to close the dictionnary window. It's simply impossible if I don't let some time passing, seems the device is busy on something, but what ? The more I try to close it, the longer it takes to accept to close... So, I'm in a state where I dread using the dictionnary and prefer guessing the meaning, or, if at home using my computer to search...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #396
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
KOBO:

*Please* don't waste time and resources adding crap like Pulse or any more to do with social integration. In case you missed some significant life-lessons along the way growing up, reading a book is NOT a social experience, it's exactly the opposite. It's an individual, solitary experience. If people want a social experience, they go to see movies...
I guess the 6 million plus members who use Goodreads never got this memo.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #397
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I guess the 6 million plus members who use Goodreads never got this memo.
Maybe the 6 million who signed up for Goodreads didn't care that Goodreads does this:

Quote:
We compare your email address book with all 7,100,000 Goodreads members and show you who is already on the site. You can also optionally invite friends that are not yet on the site to compare books with them.
If you want to be part of some marketroid's wet dream then be my guest. I don't.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #398
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Goodreads can only do that if you choose to give them access to your email account. Same with any site where you have the option to send invites out to email contacts (which is pretty much every social network out there.) I didn't give them permission to access my email, so they don't have my contacts. I'm happy with my privacy and add friends manually.

Last edited by Suzanna; 02-17-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #399
abitdisappointed
abitdisappointed began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeiger View Post
Does anyone (magically) have any information on the next firmware update? Up until now they've pushed out updates for the touch a monthly basis, but it's been two months since the last. I would LIKE to think that considering how broken the entire Kobo system is they would still be working around the clock to put out updates...

Also anyone know what the next update might DO? (bug fixes, features etc)
Let's hope they are spending the extra time between firmware updates to actually get it right!

Still love my book though
abitdisappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #400
abitdisappointed
abitdisappointed began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Angry Falling Out of Love

My KT having refused to connect to my computer - screen 'Connected and Charging' locked even once disconnected, then lost library. Having tried booting various times and a partial reset I performed a full factory reset. Now in the Kobo eReader Setup it stops on stage 2 of 3 - I get the 'Oops. Let's try that again. Something unexpected happened while we were setting up your eReader, we need to try again' so I click 'Try Again' and the screen seizes. Several tries and resets!!

ANY HELP, PLEASE .......................... I am close to the edge.

Last edited by abitdisappointed; 02-18-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: misspelling
abitdisappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #401
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by abitdisappointed View Post
My KT having refused to connect to my computer - screen 'Connected and Charging' locked even once disconnected, then lost library. Having tried booting various times and a partial reset I performed a full factory reset. Now in the Kobo eReader Setup it stops on stage 2 of 3 - I get the 'Oops. Let's try that again. Something unexpected happened while we were setting up your eReader, we need to try again' so I click 'Try Again' and the screen seizes. Several tries and resets!!

ANY HELP, PLEASE .......................... I am close to the edge.
There are several possible reasons: Eliminate the easy ones first - #1 try a different cable - They can go bad! -- #2 Try the factory reset touch on a different computer. Still fails then touch has got an issue -- probably with USB.
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #402
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Goodreads can only do that if you choose to give them access to your email account. Same with any site where you have the option to send invites out to email contacts (which is pretty much every social network out there.) I didn't give them permission to access my email, so they don't have my contacts. I'm happy with my privacy and add friends manually.
Don't confuse the issue with facts!
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #403
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron4120 View Post
There are several possible reasons: Eliminate the easy ones first - #1 try a different cable - They can go bad! -- #2 Try the factory reset touch on a different computer. Still fails then touch has got an issue -- probably with USB.
It is also possible that kobo is having server issues that prevent connecting despite a good usb cable, usb port, and correctly functioning internet connection.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #404
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Not to downplay the issues people are having (they would be extremely aggregating to have and I'm lucky enough that I don't have them), but realize that overall to say "... considering how broken the entire Kobo system is ..." is overstating the issue.
If you sell a large number of people an ereader that won't turn the pages of a book, then, sorry, yes, it IS broken.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #405
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
If you sell a large number of people an ereader that won't turn the pages of a book, then, sorry, yes, it IS broken.
Unless you're into very short stories...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote