Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #61
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
No love for Douglas Adams? I've been hitting Last Chance to See and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency about once a year since I discovered them. I also keep coming back to Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #62
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The Riddle of Stars Trilogy by Patricia McKillip (The RiddleMaster of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire, and Harpist in the wind).

Read them when I was young, and still enjoy rereading them occasionally now that I'm much older.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #63
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
The books I've come back most often to are:

Belle du Seigneur by Albert Cohen (sometimes translated to English with the same title or with the title Her Lover, apparently), a very rich book that, among other things, asks the question of why you fall in love with somebody. Each time I read it (I've read it three or four times since I was in high school and I'm now in my thirties) I find something different in it.

The princes of Amber series, by Roger Zelazny (first five books mainly), a really gripping and deeply moving series.
I had never heard of A Night in the Lonesome October, it's now very high on my wishlist, thanks for the suggestion!

Some of Jean Giraudoux's plays, mainly Electre and Ondine (Ondine was apparently translated to English with the same title, I don't know about Electre). These plays are pure moments of deep happiness. They're funny and thought-provoking at the same time, with an irreverant touch that make some of the dialogues pure jewels.
Electre is actually one of the only books that I had to read for class that were good enough for me to enjoy, so prejudiced am I against books read for school.

The Idiot, by Dostoievski.

The books by Boris Vian are also books that really moved me and made a lasting impression, but for some reason I never really read them again. Maybe I should...

For me, one of the reasons I read again the books I loved is that I am utterly unable to remember the story once I closed the book (though I clearly remember the impression it made on me). So reading them again is a way to discover them again, pure bliss!
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #64
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I'd have to say the Amber series too. I tend to re-read that every so often as well.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #65
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Richard A. Knaak's Dragonrealm series, but Firedrake gets read more than the others in the series.

It's also where I took my online nick from (and several close friends use it in IRL, apparently it suite me better than Gregg).
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #66
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse is read every few years, and circumstance has led me to reading his Siddhartha a number of times.

Poetry is the main thing I reread.... Neruda, William Carlos Williams, Louise Glück, Yeats, e.e. cummings, Blake, T.S. Eliot

I don't reread fiction very often, and hardly ever non-fiction.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #67
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse is read every few years, and circumstance has led me to reading his Siddhartha a number of times.
Those two, with The Glass Bead Game, are in my re-reads also. Hermann Hesse helps me make sense out of life...
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #68
Requiem
Enthusiast
Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Requiem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Transformer
For some weird reason, I first read a Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle in 6th grade and it introduced me to my interest in futurism, I have read it consistently ever since. Also the Grapes of Wrath, particularly when I am depressed, I find it as a great story of hope (albeit sad), and doing what you have to do.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #69
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLynn View Post
I love reading Roger Zelazny's "A Night in the Lonesome October" every October... really gets me in the mood for Halloween. Just wish it were available in ebook format!
I just got the pbook edition with illustrations by Gahan Wilson - it's an extraordinary book - thanks for the info!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #70
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Ooh! ooh! I almost forgot!

Add East of Eden by Steinbeck to my list. Such a rich book which describes so well the feelings of the characters.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #71
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've re-read LOTR 8 or 9 times since 1975.
I also read The Mysterious Island fairly often and bought the new English translation by Jordan Stump that was published a few years ago.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #72
kaan
Connoisseur
kaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Count me in on those.
Although I didn't begin reading them until I was about 18.

Siddhartha is my favorite book in my collection.

For non-fiction I would have to choose "the camel book".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_Perl
kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #73
keith_mahoney
keith_mahoney began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 on pre-order; Cancelled. Got a 505, charger and case 4 less $
Easy...

Armor by John Steakley

Best book ever. I am on my 7th copy. This guy has only ever written 2 books yet has a fan website dedicated to him at http://www.johnsteakley.com/

If you like sci-fi get this book and check out those forums for more good book recommendations.
keith_mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #74
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
For me, right now it's Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin book series. Every time I start it, I have to read the whole 20 books. I think I'm on my 6th reading. It's not like Hornblower or Alexander Kent who also wrote books about the British Navy in the Napoleonic period are mostly military historical fiction. The Aubrey/Maturin books are half action, half character driven/storyline development Pride and Prejudice (for men? Dunno really, I've read most of Austen and liked them, just not repetitively).

My first read of O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin was about 1991. I was in the Yale U. bookstore (business course, in my undergrad years I'd never have gotten in, heh..) and leaving on a train back home later that afternoon and I stopped by to pick up something to read and I saw these books whose covers reminded me of the old Hornblower books I'd loved as a teen, so I bought the first two of the series (first one seemed kind of small to me and I was afraid I'd finish it before I got back). The next day I was searching central VA high and low for more P.O.B. Now I've got 3 complete, different published sets of the series. I don't include the 5 volume omnibus set which is a travesty of typographic error and omission, and what a waste. The world needed a good omnibus edition of this. I have been contemplating buying the Easton leather set for a couple months - which costs about 1000 bucks. I'll probably keep contemplating it awhile longer. Unfortunately not available in ebook.

I agree about Armor, one of the best sci/fi I've read. I don't care so much about genre. I like character driven, well developed storylines and characters. I don't care if they're full of action or just someone wandering about experiencing life - though most are somewhere in between - just as long as they're thought provoking and the world they're in is accurate and well thought out and complete and if you offer me history or science, it has to be accurate or make sense. A big bonus is teaching me something - about history or science (and this includes sociology and psychology), or about how people are.. They might be set in 1800 like O'Brian and Austen.. or a fantasy world age like Tolkien, or 1500 like Dunnett or 2350 like Cherryh and Brin and Vinge or 1910 like Wodehouse. I just care about the story. Now Pratchett, he's the exception to the rule - he just makes me laugh :P And Steinbeck, one of my favorites also.

Before 1991, it was Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe I kept rereading - but it's Patrick O'Brian now.

Last edited by wayspooled; 08-08-2009 at 05:57 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #75
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Agatha Christie, all of them. I tend to forget "who did it" (even if I begin to recognize plot lines.) She's written so much, so well -- especially Marple and Poirot, but the others also.

My other favorite to reread is "Treasure Island". I'm a kid and a pirate at heart.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote