Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many shops have you bought ebooks from?
None. (I use the library and/or Public Domain and/or freebies) 4 3.51%
1 (Why bother with more than 1?) 8 7.02%
2 (The best of both) 7 6.14%
3-5 (Why stop at two?) 37 32.46%
6-20 (I've been buying a long time) 40 35.09%
20+ (A really long time) 13 11.40%
The Blue one next to the Fish 5 4.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How many different shops have you bought ebooks from?

I just looked at my calibre database, and saw that under my custom 'shops' column, I have 56 different shops listed!

The vast majority of my books have come from just three - Fictionwise, Amazon and Baen. But I was surprised as the number of different places I've bought from over the years. Most are now defunct. (e.g. Books on Board, CyberRead)

How many shops have you bought ebooks from?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
54. Most of those are one-time purchases from a small publisher. A bit more are from Angry Robot, Baen, a couple of Estonian shops and the defunct shops (AllRomance, BooksOnBoard, Diesel, EbookMall). Some are from Gutenberg. The majority of my purchases are from Amazon, Google, Kobo and Smashwords.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Three that I can be recall the identity of - Amazon, Kobo and Smashwords. I have a recollection of buying one as a one-off from some site I can no longer recall, that still leaves me in the 3-5 range.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Probably 20 or so counting sales from publisher webstores.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I just voted 3-5 immediately (BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise, Nook, Amazon, Kobo).

Looking at the posts though, that reminded me that I've bought the odd book or two from a couple different places:
  • Harlequin (I think I had a monthly sub at one point)
  • Humble Bundle
  • Google Play
  • Smashwords
  • AllRomance
  • Diesel
  • several direct from publishe (mostly comics and manga)

I also found a PDB ebook that I didn't purchase from Fictionwise (my Fictionwise ebooks seemed to have all migrated to B&N). Not sure where I got that from. I think it was from eReader but not really sure.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
5, but 3 of them are out of business .
I have accounts at 3 other places, but never bought any books from them
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Four. Amazon Kindle, Delphi Classics, Google Play Books, and Kobo.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Five for me, Amazon, B&N, Baen, Google Play, Apple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I chose 3-5. I might've forgot some one-off purchases at some smaller or publisher sites, but I think I've only ever bought ebooks from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, Kobo and Google Play. Did Sony have its own ebook store? If so then that makes six at least for me.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Sony, Kobo, Google Play, Books-a-Million
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I know I soar over six, but 20 seems like a reach, so there I am.

At this point, the overwhelming majority of my books are from Kobo and Amazon and this will continue to increase over time, as I buy from Kobo by preference and Amazon when there's a significant price difference. Google would be in third place. This is why I don't bother to back up my books any more; I figure none of these is going to disappear overnight.

This doesn't include the large subset of books in the public domain, which have mostly come from Gutenberg, Adelaide, Faded Page, Manybooks, Girlebooks, and of course our own library.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I voted 6-20 as I've been buying eBooks a long time from many different stores and a lot are no longer in business.

Sony, Amazon, Kobo, Paperback Digital, Fictionwise, B&N, ebooks.com, BooksOnBoard, Diesel eBooks, Google Play, S&S, BAEN, Smashwords, and probably others I cannot remember.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-03-2020 at 04:57 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I started with Peanut Press( The Complete Enchanter) long ago, though I lost access to that book (but bought it again when Baen put it out). Among the books that I still have - I started with Baen books back in 1998 I think, then Sony starting in 2007, Amazon starting in 2008, Project Gutenberg (sp?) and of course, the MobileRead library. I also have about a dozen books that I've bought directly from Author's websites.

Oh, yea, I forgot to mention that I have about a dozen eBooks that I bought on the Apple eBook store.

Last edited by pwalker8; 01-03-2020 at 06:11 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think a lot of us would be 6-20 as one off purchases do count.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #15
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
4 ebook stores: Amazon Kobo and two italian stores
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote