Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Strange, is this book theft?

I found a book on Amazon for free, looked up the author, and all their books were free. OK, good deal. The author is Charlie Wolfe, and an example book is Mission Alchemist. I thought, why not add these to my collection since they're free? I noticed that the numbering of the books in the series was weird (numbers skipped, published in odd order, etc.)

So I thought I'd look at Goodreads to see if I could find the correct series order so I could put the books into Caliber in a reasonable sequence. As I was clicking around on Goodreads, I found a different author, Charles Z. David, who appears to have written the same books, but with slightly different titles (e.g., The Dreadful Alchemist vs. Mission Alchemist). Amazon's main site lists the books by Charlie Wolfe but not by Charles Z. David. I also noticed that the editor of some of the books was listed as Glenda Sacks Jaffe - the same editor did the books by the two different authors.

Not that any of this really makes a difference, but it did intrigue me when I saw this. I'm guessing that either (1) the author has a multiple personality disorder, or (2) one author stole the books from the other author and published them as if he wrote them himself. Any other ideas about what could be going on here? Seems a little fishy. I can't say I've ever run into something like this before. I stumbled into these books when I saw them listed for free on http://ereaderiq.com

From Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho....Charlie_Wolfe

https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...harles_Z_David
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suspect that Charles Z. David and Charlie Wolfe are one and the same person.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2019, 04:19 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I suspect that Charles Z. David and Charlie Wolfe are one and the same person.
Certainly he wouldn't be the first author to have a pen name. Even Stephen King has done that.
Edit: I just looked the author up and their books are around $3.99/piece though they are free from "Kindle Unlimited." Perhaps the OP misread that part of the post and thought the books were all free to purchase. It's not hard to do that.

Last edited by crich70; 10-29-2019 at 04:24 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I have been fooled in the past between "free", and "Kindle Unlimited". However, these books were indeed free. At least they all were yesterday (I haven't checked today however). I know, because I purchased them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	purchase.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	174604  
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's what one reviewer on Amazon writes:

"Israeli author ‘Charlie Wolfe’ has as much mystery about his moniker as he does in his fine novels. We learn that ‘Charles Z. David’ is the pen name of a renowned nuclear scientist working for the Israeli Atomic Energy Commission and has written four scientific books, many articles in scientific journals, and has participated in international scientific conferences. His background certainly enhances his mystery thrillers!"

And here is what the author himself writes:

"Charlie Wolfe is the pen-name of a renowned nuclear scientist. Charlie had an exceptionally interesting scientific career working for the Israeli Atomic Energy Commission (IAEC). He is the author or co-author of four scientific books and of over 100 articles in scientific journals and has participated in numerous international scientific conferences. Charlie has also fought for his country, as commander of an armored personnel carrier, in three wars.

"Charlie Wolfe is married to the same woman, since 1976, and they have three sons and six grandchildren (and still counting). They all live in Israel. "
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert