Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 10:08 PM   #31
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I read one book at a time. For me it is purchase (or borrow), download, read, delete from device.
This is what my Mom has always done. My habits come from my college days when I had to read 5 or 6 different things daily in spurts. So, I currently have two audiobooks running and 2 ebooks sometimes. Usually all different genres.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-25-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #32
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
nope i only use my kindle for my comic books and my books/novels but i also still buy the physical book so if i just want to keep certain books nice i just use my kindle.

Originally before i got my kindle i had put a slew of books on my itunes account but than i got tired of reading books in my ipod or my PC. i didn't have a celly back than mind you
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 11:24 PM   #33
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I don't store books in the cloud because I don't have wifi. Instead, I download them to my computer, often picking up books I'm in the mood for and which are free or low priced from Amazon or SmashWords.

I have about 600 on my ereader and load on more when my tastes change. For example, I've been in a reading slump for a few months so I downloaded some free comedies from Amazon and Smashbooks, converted them to azw3, then loaded them onto my paperwhite which has Collections to make mood-searching easy.

When I've finished a book, I write a brief review, then delete it from the kindle.

I only have two ereaders and primarily use the paperwhite as I really need the frontlight; the house lighting is too dim to read by unless I use clip-on light, which is a nuisance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:17 AM   #34
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ What is your wishlist program?
KindEbook Wishlist
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I don't store books in the cloud because I don't have wifi. Instead, I download them to my computer, often picking up books I'm in the mood for and which are free or low priced from Amazon or SmashWords.
Just to clarify for the MR viewers You don't need WiFi to use the 'cloud'.

True, Mobile devices With WiFi can benefit from cloud storage, but wired Desktops can keep and use the stuff there as well.
The advantage is you can be anyplace with Internet access device and a USB cable, and retrieve from the cloud after logging into you account
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #36
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The advantage is you can be anyplace with Internet access device and a USB cable, and retrieve from the cloud after logging into you account
Unless of course you have concerns about typing stuff like passwords while connected to someone else's computer. Just saying.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #37
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I download all my ebooks to my laptop and put them in Calibre to strip the DRM. I transfer them to my ereader from Calibre. Yes, the old USB cable way. I never use the Wifi on my dedicated ereaders. Except the Paperwhite but that's rarely since I do not care for Amazon at all. Occasionally they have a freebie no one else does.

I tend to read on one reader at a time. The rest are in a drawer and have usually been sitting so long I have to charge them up if I want to use them. I really need to thin out the collection.

I read a book and delete it from the reader so I don't have nearly my whole collection on any reader.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #38
Timboli
Fanatic

I guess I just like to have quick access, to a listing at least, of all my ebooks, no matter where I am. Especially if part of a conversation away from home, and you can't quite recall the title and or author.

I suppose I could look into doing just a full listing and cull a lot more from my devices.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find it silly to need enough storage to keep your entire library on your Reader.

I have 226 books on my H2O. That's more then enough and I do put more as I get from the library. Those have to be read now/next.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #40
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
I guess I just like to have quick access, to a listing at least, of all my ebooks, no matter where I am. Especially if part of a conversation away from home, and you can't quite recall the title and or author.

I suppose I could look into doing just a full listing and cull a lot more from my devices.
I use a Calibre-generated catalog for this. You can generate it in several different formats and keep it on your ereader. Of course, this method requires you to have a Calibre library to start with, or at least a library with the metadata (with no actual files).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #41
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have more than 6 devices for sure so I made copies on Calibre that I can load on my ereaders.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #42
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I use a Calibre-generated catalog for this. You can generate it in several different formats and keep it on your ereader. Of course, this method requires you to have a Calibre library to start with, or at least a library with the metadata (with no actual files).
Yes, I have dabbled with that before and may do so again, though I have been working on my own solution.

For quite a few months now, all my purchases have been getting full descriptions, using a program I made. But due to way too many BookBub freebies, I have not yet gone back and given my earlier purchases the same treatment (probably almost 2,000 of them). Things are also not helped by the fact my permanent Calibre library is on another, non web connected PC. So it would take a bit of time and work to get what I needed setup ... that and the energy & motivation & time for all the work required.

I wish I had thought to go my current route sooner, but that's life.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #43
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Your HONOR....I am INNOCENT!

I depend on the cloud and syncing. I read on 3 or 4 devices (iPhone, iPad Mini ... and sometimes on a Fire Tab 8 or Walmart Onn tablet).

I have never felt the need to have all my books on a device. I'm usually reading one book and listening to another. When I get a new device, I just download and sync whatever book I'm reading.

Thanks to some of the good folks here, all my books are also de-fumigated and backed up locally. But they don't need to live on my phone.

I have a OneNote note I use to keep track of what books I've read and which books are "up next".
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:12 PM   #44
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
My kids will have plenty of books when I pass on. Oddly perhaps, my youngest two care more for physical books than ebooks. It kind of feels funny to be more digital than them, especially as they are constantly on their iPhones. My oldest lad has an iPad so he feels a bit differently.
Ditto. My wife and kids are all just as addicted to their phones as I am. All of them prefer paper books. My wife at least does read ebooks on a tablet.

None of them will care one whit for my ebook collection when I'm dead. So sad to be the father of girls' with "girl taste" in books.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #45
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I have all my books in all my tablets. Reason is that I do not have a "smartphone" & reading places like the doctor's office, dentist or even waiting to get a haircut do not have have wifi available. Also I do not pay for a cloud service & the Calibre Companion on the tablets are backups of each other.

Currently, considering the PG&E blackouts in Calif, I would think many people using the cloud will have some problems(?) in getting their book for reading. Even if I am unaffected by the official blackouts, the news media have show videos of the many trees that got knocked down by the high winds to disable power lines/poles in many neighborhoods.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote