Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Has anyone bought the Elric ebooks?

Hi,

I was wondering about the quality and features of the eBook versions of the Elric books (by M. Moorcock) that are being published, I mean:

Elric: The Stealer of Souls
Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn
(and more volumes to come, I expect)

Has anyone bought any of them? Are they worth getting? I'm asking more about the formatting, illustrations, etc. than about the literary quality.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Not at those prices.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
From the description they are "enhanced" editions, containing a lot more than just the original text. Such editions can be worth paying extra for, if one is a "fan" of the author.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
From the description they are "enhanced" editions, containing a lot more than just the original text. Such editions can be worth paying extra for, if one is a "fan" of the author.
But the descriptions seem to be just the same (as is the price) as for the paper editions, so I'm a bit suspicious...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Now they released the Jerry Cornelius tetrology, I might pony up....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I was wondering about the quality and features of the eBook versions of the Elric books (by M. Moorcock) that are being published, I mean:
Has anyone bought any of them? Are they worth getting? I'm asking more about the formatting, illustrations, etc. than about the literary quality.
I downloaded the "free sample" of both these books to my Kindle (from Amazon, not from the site you mentioned). The formatting looks good. Italics, accented letters, e's with two dots over them .... true quotation marks.... The second book you mentioned only gave me the introductory bits in the sample. The first went a wee bit into chapters 1 and 2 (i think). Was just looking at formatting; not actually reading it.

The following two graphics were included in the samples:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-46253.gif
Views:	348
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	17746   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-46254.gif
Views:	345
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	17747  
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
They're nicely formatted, and I'm sure the illustrations are nice, but they're tiny on my iLiad. In fact, I can see them better on my Palm Z22, because at least there I can blow them up and scroll them round. I guess they're optimised for a smaller screen than the iLiad.

In terms of content, Moorcock fans (like me) will find them fascinating, because the stories are interspersed with other articles and stories Moorcock was writing at the same time, which illuminate what he was doing in the Elric stories themselves. They're also the original stories, with the intros from the magazines they were published in, rather than the rewrites he did later to make the stories more coherent. The first volume has a long and interesting introduction by the author, in which, among other things, he admits that the rude things he's said about Lord of the Rings in the past may not have been entirely justifed :-) If you're just interested in good stories, without their literary roots, these are probably not for you, though since they're the only Elric volumes available as ebooks, you may want to get them anyway, and skip the connecting material.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote