Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
portable application for windows ebook reading

I've had a recent fascination with so called Portable Applications which can be run from a USB stick without "installation" on the host computer. Particularly I'm in love with the idea of the reader not modifying the registry or including any dlls or anything.

Clearly this cannot be done with mobireader, which integrates the DRM into the reader and the reader into the hardware (via the PID).

It seems that it is possible with earlier versions of the ereader, however. It seems as though v2.6.1.0 can be run from a stick with no "installation" required. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

If not, are there any other windows ebook applications that CAN be run in "stealth mode" that I should consider?

Thanks for any help.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I had the same thought a while back about using FBReader. I guess someone with the knowhow could either write a wrapper to make it portable, or better yet, take the source and make a portable version.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Book Designer doesn't need to be installed, you could open many books with it and read away
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Has anyone visited this site?

http://portableapps.com/

This person or group is busy, busy, busy developing all kinds of free portable applications. In the forums there is an area where you can request a portable application.
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg View Post
Has anyone visited this site?

http://portableapps.com/

This person or group is busy, busy, busy developing all kinds of free portable applications. In the forums there is an area where you can request a portable application.
I didn't see any Mobile Read stuff on the site. No readers of any kind that I could find unless you are using a browser.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I didn't see any Mobile Read stuff on the site. No readers of any kind that I could find unless you are using a browser.

Dale
Hi Dale,
Sorry to have confused. You are right, Portableapps doesn't currently offer a reading device. But the developers seem genuinely interested in learning about portable applications that people would like to have. I thought someone might be interested in posting to their forum but perhaps I was wrong.
Dawn
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg View Post
Hi Dale,
Sorry to have confused. You are right, Portableapps doesn't currently offer a reading device. But the developers seem genuinely interested in learning about portable applications that people would like to have. I thought someone might be interested in posting to their forum but perhaps I was wrong.
Dawn
FBReader (see wiki for details) would be a good candidate for Portableapps support I think. It is pretty clean in its requirements and is available on a number of platforms.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
atesta
Banned
atesta began at the beginning.

Device: TBA
yBook: http://www.spacejock.com/yBook.html
eTextReader: http://www.fellnersoft.at/eTR.htm
atesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
lady_morana
lady_morana began at the beginning.

Device: Axim V50, MobilePro 770
poratability

I have successfullly had bookdesigner on severalt humb drive and small hard drives. It runs fine.

I just switch it to reading mode and I can use the auto scroll all I want to read.

i like it because it will still open up just about any book out there.

I just wish it would use OpenOffice for the RTF and TXT import and export rather than MSWORD for those time when I am not at a computer with Microsoft.
lady_morana is offline   Reply With Quote