Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Nook Glowlight 3 - Series?

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
Is there any way to force this thing to recognize series? I wish just once I could get an ereader that works as well as Calibre. The Calibre PC based reader recognizes chapters and series and bookmarks. I've never had any e-reader that does all of that.

Maybe a Calibre e-reader is needed. We've got the software - now if we could just get some decent e-ink hardware to run it on. Hell, I'd settle for an e-ink screen I could plug in to my laptop via USB.
Well, you could go with a Kobo ereader which recognizes, searches on and sorts on series. Chapters as in the TOC are no problem. Bookmarks are a whole other issue since few standards exist though davidfor's Annotations plugin for calibre will pull book annotations into a calibre custom column.

Otherwise, you could prepend a series to the title. For my Tolino epos, I tend to use the series initials and index added to the book title. That is, Magnificent Devices [01], Lady of Devices, by Shelly Adina ends up as MD01 - Lady of Devices for the book title as show on the epos.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Well, you could go with a Kobo ereader which recognizes, searches on and sorts on series.
No, no, no, DNSB. The OP strongly recommends against Kobos. I guess he'll just have to do without good support for Series.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
No, no, no, DNSB. The OP strongly recommends against Kobos. I guess he'll just have to do without good support for Series.
Well, to be fair, their customer support is basically useless. And that was the OP's complaint.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, to be fair, their customer support is basically useless. And that was the OP's complaint.
His complaints were about a lot more than just customer support:
- "books that it would just refuse to read large chunks of pages, among many other issues"
- "wouldn't page properly"
- "native OS is so bad I had to download a different system"

I've owned many Kobos (and Sony, Pocketbook) not one of them had any of the above problems.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
His complaints were about a lot more than just customer support:
- "books that it would just refuse to read large chunks of pages, among many other issues"
- "wouldn't page properly"
- "native OS is so bad I had to download a different system"

I've owned many Kobos (and Sony, Pocketbook) not one of them had any of the above problems.
I just read a short chunk of the quote (the part right behind advising against Kobos which dealt with Kobo support). I will say this, however, without the patches, page margin rendering is pretty anemic in Kobos. At least it is in the older devices I use. I don't get those issues in Kindles, Sonys, Nooks or my Tolino. The margin patches make a huge difference, however, and Kobos are easy to patch.

I don't know what he's talking with the "native OS" part — Kobos use Linux, I believe. And the only time Kobo books have lost chunks of text is when I converted KePubs into ePubs and sent them to my Sonys. My work-around was to convert KePub to ePub, then convert it to AZW3, then back to ePub. Worked well.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:34 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
IMNSHO, from my experience with Kobo and other ereaders, he was suffering from GIGO. Kobo ereaders are not forgiving of epubs with CSS errors and other issues. Epubs that have garbled metadata. Ebooks that use a single oversize HTML file for all the text will have issues but then they have issues on Tolino and Sony ereaders as well. My very limited experience with Nook eInk devices does not allow me to offer an opinion about their error handling.

My current workflow is to run any epubs in my Intake library through Sigil and/or the calibre editor using Flightcrew for Sigil (epub2) and epubcheck for Sigil and calibre editor (epub2 and epub3) to detect and allow me to correct errors. I also use the Quality Check plugin for calibre with it's epub structure and epub style options for detecting many errors before they interfere with my reading.

And no, GIGO does not stand for Garbage In, Gospel Out.

I did take a look at his thread starter posts. Hmmm... his Kobo came without a wall wart. His Onyx M96 came without a wall wart. Calibre v2.5 does alternating colours for lines in the book list. Calibre 1.16 can't delete custom columns and he could only use text in a custom column. Evidently after multiple messages for that one, he restarted calibre and the problem disappeared. He didn't like his Kindle when his son passed it on to him. To quote his complaint there:

Quote:
It's fine=ish - the search function is abysmal, and I can't keep more than a handful of books on it unless I'm willing to deal with multiple power-downs and resets when it locks up - but as long as I only keep a few books on it and minimize my searching, it suits as a portable e-reader, given it was free. Oh yeah, and the clock loses time like crazy so I either have to constantly set the clock or just resign myself to not knowing what time it is.
Or you can check this gem from him: Post 6.

So yeah, I find it relatively hard to take his complaints about Kobo's customer service other than cum grano salis.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:59 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
IMNSHO, from my experience with Kobo and other ereaders, he was suffering from GIGO. Kobo ereaders are not forgiving of epubs with CSS errors and other issues. Epubs that have garbled metadata. Ebooks that use a single oversize HTML file for all the text will have issues but then they have issues on Tolino and Sony ereaders as well. ...
Unpatched Kobos have issues with the bottom margin that I've never seen in any other eReader (I don't know enough about ePub creating to comment on why) -- but patching is simple and fixes the formatting, so it would only be a problem with someone unable or unwilling to patch their Kobos. When I create ePubs from AZW3 files in Calibre they flow well in all my eReaders, including patched Kobos. (Calibre is a fantastic program. Even an idiot like me can successfully use it.)
Old 08-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMHO, the OP has no clue what he's doing with Kobo & ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Unpatched Kobos have issues with the bottom margin that I've never seen in any other eReader (I don't know enough about ePub creating to comment on why) -- but patching is simple and fixes the formatting, so it would only be a problem with someone unable or unwilling to patch their Kobos. When I create ePubs from AZW3 files in Calibre they flow well in all my eReaders, including patched Kobos. (Calibre is a fantastic program. Even an idiot like me can successfully use it.)
Some of this is tied into design decisions where Kobo ereaders respect the CSS internal to the epub. So if someone decides setting widows and orphans to 3 is a good idea, you can end up with wide blank spaces at the bottom of a page as text is moved to the next page to prevent widows at the top of a page or orphans at the bottom of a page. Even the default of 2 in RMSDK can waste a lot of space.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I have no idea what any of you are talking about. I've never had an Onyx at all.
I might wonder why you started this thread then -- see Onyx M96 Wall Wart in the Onyx Boox forum?

Quote:
What's the amperage rating on this? I have a 1A wall wart for my (now defunct) Kindle Keyboard and a 2A wall wart for my cell phone. I see no purpose to be served by getting another wall wart if one of these will do.
I mean you could just have been wondering about the ratings for the wall wart for an Onyx Boox M96 was but it seems an awfully random question to ask.

I can't remember the exact quote about we now live in a world where the Internet records everything and forgets nothing but that should be close enough for the spirit to be understood.

Quote:
When an epub works just fine in every single other reading device or software reading app on the PC, then there is a problem with KOBO, not the book.
And I've seen all too many epubs that people have complained about where FlightCrew and epubcheck have generated multiple pages of errors. After correcting the errors, the problems went away.

Quote:
So you all can continue to make fun of me (and I am NOT a he btw) or someone could answer my question about this particular device. Which is - is there any way to get it to recognize series. Shelves don't do the job plus they disappear every time I turn it off.
I've already suggested the only way I know that you can show a series on a Nook by making the series information part of the book title. See message #2 in this thread and multiple threads in the calibre forum on metadata plugboards.

As for whether you are a he, a she or a whatever? A matter of total indifference to me. It might be arguable whether the Internet in it's lack of cues as to gender, appearance, etc. is actually beneficial to communication but it does allow fewer complaints about bias -- it's hard to claim bias in a forum like this when you don't have the sensory clues.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-21-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am a little lost? Do you mean book series? My Nook groups books by series on a tablet app. I think on the ereader as well ( not sure on the ereader....gotta check)

I noticed a few odd stuff like pages repeating or duplicating but I am not sure if that is the software/ereader or a publishing error
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:55 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Is there any way to force this thing to recognize series? I wish just once I could get an ereader that works as well as Calibre. The Calibre PC based reader recognizes chapters and series and bookmarks. I've never had any e-reader that does all of that.
As mentioned earlier, nothing gets forgotten. Message 1 from this thread which seems to have been severely edited. I'm going to resist the temptation to repost the other messages that suffered from editing.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-01-2018 at 11:58 PM.