Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
gerhaher
Enthusiast
gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Sage
File manager navigation

I don't know if you have discussed this before:

When you go from reading a book to file manager and then leave that books folder you always end up on page 1 in next folder. It would be better if you came to the same page as the folder you just left.

That is how it works otherwise when you navigate in file manager: for example if you step inside a folder on page 6 and then go back, you come to the same page 6 again.
gerhaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
So you select a book/file on page 10 of your Fantasy folder listing in the File Browser, then you finish the book and go to the File Browser, to pick your next read, and it returns to page 10 of the Fantasy listing. Then you decide you want to read something different and Navigate from the Fantasy folder to the Mystery folder, but you are now on page 1 of the Mystery folder, not page 10. Why do you see that as a problem?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2017, 03:47 AM   #3
gerhaher
Enthusiast
gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!gerhaher goes to infinity... and beyond!

I probably was too unclear in my first post, but I think your example doesn't reflect what I meant. Or maybe we organize our books differently.

I don't know about you but I have a folder for every author. So in my fantasy folder I can have many pages of folders for different authors.

When I've finished a book I normally delete it from my e-reader. If it was the last book in its folder I may want to delete the folder too.
Suppose I've finished my last remaining George RR Martin book which is in my "George RR Martin" folder on page 10. First I delete the book. Then I leave the George RR Martin folder and I end up on page 1 in my Fantasy folder. Now I have to go back to page 10 to delete the "George RR Martin"-folder.

And another example. Suppose I want to take a "stroll" among my History books (+30 pages of folders) in my "History" folder. The books that I find interesting I open to take a quick peek. Now every time after opening a book and then going back to "History" folder to continue my little stroll, I end up on page 1 again.

So, to sum up, it's just that, based on my own e-reader behaviour I think this is a little bit annoying. As long as you don't open the book you can go inside a folder and back again - then you will come back to the same page. But if you have opened the book - well sorry, when you leave the books folder you will be transported back to page 1. I find that inconsistent.

Instead, I would like to argue that you should always end up on the same page where the folder you just left is located. Does that make sense?

But others, with another behaviour, and another way of organizing their books, may find the current arrangement more functional. I don't know.

However, now I have raised the question.

Last edited by gerhaher; 09-25-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Using "History" folder complicates your explanation, KOReader has a History that holds your recently opened files listed, with the most recent at the top. This is separate from any "History" folder you may have in your file structure.

I seem to remember this issue, or a very similar one, discussed at the project on Github. I don't remember how it turned out, or the issue number, but if you find it you can add your concerns. Or you could open a new issue.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
gerhaher
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Using "History" folder complicates your explanation, KOReader has a History that holds your recently opened files listed, with the most recent at the top. This is separate from any "History" folder you may have in your file structure.

I seem to remember this issue, or a very similar one, discussed at the project on Github. I don't remember how it turned out, or the issue number, but if you find it you can add your concerns. Or you could open a new issue.

Luck;
Ken
Yeah, you're right. I didn't think about that.
But of course I mean a folder with the name "History" in my file manager. It has nothing to do with KOreaders History page.
It was just an example. It could have been "Biography" or "Economy" instead. If anyone got confused.

Maybe Frenzie wants to comment?

Last edited by gerhaher; 09-25-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Advert
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I'm not quite sure I understand the problem.

https://vimeo.com/235344563
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote