Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Issues copying files

Hi, I bought a Poke 2 and I have problems to copy files with long names on the device. I tried to enable the long path option on Windows but the copying still crashes...

How can I solve it?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Hi, I bought a Poke 2 and I have problems to copy files with long names on the device. I tried to enable the long path option on Windows but the copying still crashes...
How do you copy? From which system?
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Windows 10
Old 06-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Windows 10
In Windows Explorer, folders + file names must not exceed a certain length - even those from the receiving device.
It may help to shorten the folder names and/or the file names - also on the receiving side.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I haven't run into those limits.
My longest path is 40 characters long.

Are you sure that it isn't some character instead?
Do you have an example of a path?

You said Windows, but you didn't say how you copied.
Windows File Explorer over MTP? PTP? UMS?
ADB?
Calibre?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2021, 12:49 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I haven't run into those limits.
My longest path is 40 characters long.
I believe you - but this can happen quite easily if you try to create a folder structure and don't pay attention to the naming - so even book file names can be very long.

And especially the Windows Explorer can react quite strangely when trying to copy a folder structure into a subfolder in the target system.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:35 AM   #7
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would definitely try to narrow this down.
It could be a forward slash in a path.
Question marks or asterisks can be problematical too.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

I disabled the 265 characters limit; and the issue stood. I temporarely solved manually renaming the files. But would like to find a permanent solution.
Copying to and from other hard drives doesn't give me any problem. Only the Poke 2 bothers.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
Renate
Wizard

You still haven't said how you are trying to copy files.
WiFi? USB? MTP? ADB? How? Using a program? Command line? FTP?
If renaming kind of solved the problem, why don't you mention the before and after names?
Old 06-15-2021, 12:24 AM   #10
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Quote:
You still haven't said how you are trying to copy files.
WiFi? USB? MTP? ADB? How? Using a program? Command line? FTP?
If renaming kind of solved the problem, why don't you mention the before and after names?

Copy and paste via USB cable on Windows 10
Old 06-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I temporarely solved manually renaming the files. But would like to find a permanent solution.
This is a permanent solution.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #12
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
But would like to find a permanent solution.
If that is what you would truly like, how about answering my question?
Give an example of a filename that causes problems.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:39 AM   #13
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Quote:
If that is what you would truly like, how about answering my question?
Give an example of a filename that causes problems.

Here they are

Unfettered - Brooks, Terry & Jordan, Robert & Sanderson, Brandon & Rothfuss, Patricqueline & Novik, Naomi & Salvatore, R.A. & Brett, Peter V. & Lawrence, Mark

[Percy Jackson and the Olympians volume Book 2] Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson and the Olympians 2 The Sea of Monsters (2007, Miramax Books_Hyperion Paperbacks for Children) - libgen.lc
Old 06-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #14
Renate
Wizard

Those files don't have any known file extension, like .epub
Are they in directories that are that long too?
What is the error you get? Some popup from Windows?
Old 06-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #15
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
I disabled the 265 characters limit; and the issue stood. I temporarely solved manually renaming the files. But would like to find a permanent solution.
Copying to and from other hard drives doesn't give me any problem. Only the Poke 2 bothers.
How did you disable the limit? In the registry as described by this this Microsoft knowledge base article? It points out that enabling Win32 long path support only works for some functions. Perhaps for MTP this process doesn't work.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote