Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2021, 05:42 AM   #1
evislur81
evislur81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 FW5.12.2
How to make it usable?

Hello mobileread community!

I just owned a Kindle PW2 with 5.12.2 and now I wonder how I can read my PDFs with it.

I have jailbreaked a PSP some years ago, but have no experience with hardware jailbreaks. Any advices?

In the end I just want to copy my PDFs and read them.
evislur81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
evislur81
evislur81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 FW5.12.2
I found Calibre and its usable now.
As far as I found out, its not possible yet to jailbreak it with software only, because the Version 5.12.12 has not been broken yet for PaperWhite 2 (2013).

But still, Calibre works fine and I am fine too.
evislur81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2021, 10:19 PM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
You can try k2pdfopt to convert your pdf files with more Kindle-friendly reflow. It has many options, have a look
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
Free Radical
Free Radical began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Just bought 2 PW2s on the cheap last week on 5.12.1 and now jalbreaked with KoReader installed
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338268
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Just bought 2 PW2s on the cheap last week on 5.12.1 and now jalbreaked with KoReader installed
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338268
Did you buy them because you saw that the Jailbreak was releasing soon or was it a coincidence?
tryol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2021, 06:32 AM   #6
Free Radical
Free Radical began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Coincidence, and truth be said, I was almost about to buy a serial tool. Saved just in time :P

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
lisica
lisica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Is Koreader (2021.02) working for you guys? On my PW2 it either crashes, freezes, or reboots the device after only a couple of pages scrolled in various pdfs. There is nothing meaningful in the log file, except for "Killed", which combined with the symptoms makes me think this is ram related (out-of-memory kills). I have tried more than a few pdfs, ranging from sub-MB to 40MB, and all of them end up crashing. Could it be the Koreader became too heavy for this aging device?
lisica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
256MB of RAM and PDFs haven't really ever mixed well.

The stock FW becoming ever so memory hungry hasn't really helped on that front either.

You'd have to downgrade by *a lot* (say, the final ~5.6.x release) to see any meaningful changes, though. The easiest solution is to restart KOReader often, or stick to ePubs.

Or reimplement all the things that would allow you to run KOReader framework-less like on FW < 5.x.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-25-2021 at 04:53 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #9
lisica
lisica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I really need pdf reflow. K2PDFOPT would be an option if there weren't horribly broken pages, where Koreader's de-reflow comes in handy. Not to mention no preparing of the files and a million other options Koreader has.

I decided to try and see if the downgrade could bring any improvements, and it really did! Downgraded to 5.6.5 and so far so good, no crashes, and Koreader is much more responsive. As a bonus, everything survived the downgrade, didn't need to install anything.
lisica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #10
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisica View Post
I decided to try and see if the downgrade could bring any improvements, and it really did! Downgraded to 5.6.5 and so far so good, no crashes, and Koreader is much more responsive. As a bonus, everything survived the downgrade, didn't need to install anything.
What method did you use to downgrade?
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #11
Funtast
Funtast began at the beginning.

Device: pw2 & inkpad3
Downgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
What method did you use to downgrade?
Can someone point me to straightforward way to downgrade? I jailbroke my pw2, installed KUAL and KOreader, but KOreader keeps crashing on me. Right now I cannot find an easy guide to downgrade. Not that I cannot invest time and use kindletool to unpack the binary and then flash it with dd after ssh through usbnet, but I really don't want to go that route.
touch /PRE_GM_DEBUGGING_FEATURES_ENABLED__REMOVE_AT_GMC didn't help :/

I am rocking the final pw2 v5.12.2.1.1

Thanks
Funtast is offline   Reply With Quote