Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
nv88
Nameless Being

Kobo Glo HD or Boyue T62D?

I want to upgrade to an e-reader with a builtin light. I have been using a Sony PRS-T1. It works well, but the add-on light is fiddly to position without screen glare and lights up half the room.

I have been looking at the Kobo Glo HD and Boyue T62+ since they seem to have good quality screens, are easy to side load books, and allow plenty of customization of fonts and text formatting.

The questions I have are:
1. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of both these?

2. How significant is the difference in 1440 vs 1024 in the screen resolution?

3. Can anyone comment on possible differences in the overall reading experience between the two? Things like speed of pages turns, pdf capabilities...
Old 07-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
nv88
Nameless Being

UPDATE: Today I bought a Kobo Glo HD through the us.kobobooks.com. Fairly frustrated with the purchasing experience. I did get a confirmation email. Please someone tell me I didn't make a big mistake.
Advert
Old 07-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv88 View Post
UPDATE: Today I bought a Kobo Glo HD through the us.kobobooks.com. Fairly frustrated with the purchasing experience. I did get a confirmation email. Please someone tell me I didn't make a big mistake.
The purchasing experience is in no way indicative of the quality of the device (note that I have an H2O rather than a Glo HD so I can't completely back that up, but the H2O is great and I've read enough ordering stories to know that's par for the course).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
I have a Kobo Glo HD. I love it! I started out using Sony Readers (my first was the PRS-505) and moved to Kindle after the T2 came out. Now I've moved to Kobo. I was tired of jailbreaking my Kindles to get them to do what a Kobo can do "out of the box". I've been very happy with my device. I managed to do the memory upgrade on it as well, so now I've got a 32GB card inside it. I didn't have any issues with shipping - which was quite quick - but there was a delay in the email updates I got for shipping. I believe that Kobo contracts their shipping to another company so I think their wires sometimes get crossed in that regard. I hope you like your Kobo when it arrives!
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
nv88
Nameless Being

Thanks. I think I made the right choice for me.

I've got a 32gb card and a case on the way too. I may try upgrading the memory. How difficult is removing and reattaching the back?
Advert
Old 07-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv88 View Post
Thanks. I think I made the right choice for me.

I've got a 32gb card and a case on the way too. I may try upgrading the memory. How difficult is removing and reattaching the back?
Look in the Kobo sub-forum. Plenty of info on it there.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I love my Kobo Glo HD. It's my favorite of all the ereaders I've had. I haven't opened mine and swapped out the card; at this time I see no need to do so. If I am at some point able to get a used or refurbished one, I may do it. But not the one I bought new which is still under warranty.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
nv88
Nameless Being

So glad to hear people link the glo hd. I was a little anxious reading about the slow page turns. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery. I guess the next thing is to research what alternative readers and fonts work best on the glo hd.

Good point Booklover6. I will definitely weight the pros/cons if I decide to swap out the memory.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Slow page turns are such a non-issue. They're books, not videos. The page is already turned by the time your eye moves upwards from the last line to the top line.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 07-11-2015 at 04:25 PM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The page turns aren't slow on mine. I am running firmware 3.16.0, and using side loaded epubs (through Calibre, which converts to kepub on the fly). Not slow at all.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
nv88
Nameless Being

I do believe the page turns are not much of a concern. It's just that's about the only negative I saw in videos comparing the glo hd to other brands. Even the slowest page turns I saw in the videos, would likely still be faster than I could turn a page of a physical book. The glo hd did appear slow sometimes compared with other devices side by side.

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling really good about buying the glo hd. Now I need to be patient until it gets here.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I don't have the Boyue as a comparison, but I do have the Glo HD as well and I'm also sure you're going to love it.

I'm pretty certain the slower page turns on firmware 3.16.0 right now will be fixed in future firmware updates. If you repeatedly turn pages without much of a pause, you'll see it speed up quite a bit, so the hardware is capable of it. But like you said, even at the slow speed, it's still faster than turning the page of a physical book, so I don't mind it too much right now, I just start the page turn a bit earlier while reading.

Visit the Kobo forum once you get it, it's very active and a lot of help to be found there.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure you'll enjoy using the Kobo. Do let us know your thoughts on it when you get it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #14
nv88
Nameless Being

Final Update
I received my Kobo Glo HD from us.kobobooks.com by way of Canada exactly one week after ordering. The purchasing and tracking experience was not very good. It's a shame there aren't other places to purchase Kobo ereaders. I should say more convenient places to purchase Kobo ereaders.

I am satisfied with the reader so far. The evenness of the screen lighting is my favorite feature. The HD screen is nice, but really isn't obvious coming from my Sony T1. The screen lighting is obvious. The light significantly improves my reading experience.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #15
readerreader
readerreader began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Sorry I just saw this thread today.

I have both the Kobo Glo HD and the Boyue T62D.

Have used many ereaders over the years, and in terms of the form factor, my all-time favourite is the Pocketbook 360 . With the fbreader180 installed, and the wrist page turns.....that has been my favourite reading experience...

Anyway...

The Kobo Glo HD is lighter than the Boyue.

The Boyue seems to more feature-rich - the search function for example. There is also mp3 support (not tried it). Page-turnng is quite fast, the backlight works well. Price-wise it was cheaper for me to buy the Boyue.

Feel free to ask if there are specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.
readerreader is offline   Reply With Quote