Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #241
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try installing the 4.10.11655 firmware by using just the KoboRoot.tgz file. Maybe it will work and allow Overdrive on older devices.
I tried that on my aura h20 1st edition and I'm sorry to say that it didn't work. The device does update, but no overdrive. �� I really wanted it to work. Maybe they'll add it later. (Wishful thinking)

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Penny

Last edited by mystika1; 09-12-2018 at 10:38 AM.
mystika1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #242
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I tried that on my aura h20 1st edition and I'm sorry to say that it didn't work. The device does update, but no overdrive. í*½í¸¢ I really wanted it to work. Maybe they'll add it later. (Wishful thinking)

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Penny

Does the device *look* like it's updating or does the firmware version indeed also really change? If the latter, is there really no option to enter library details in settings? If no, this may be patchable, perhaps, similar to how hidden games can be unhidden... but I'm no expert in that field
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #243
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Does the device *look* like it's updating or does the firmware version indeed also really change? If the latter, is there really no option to enter library details in settings? If no, this may be patchable, perhaps, similar to how hidden games can be unhidden... but I'm no expert in that field
Well, all the devices run the same firmware. The Clara is 300 DPI and 6". So it should be easy to come up with a patch for the Glo HD.

Ducks and runs for cover.

FWIW, I'm on an older firmware, so please don't patch just for me.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #244
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
If I go to settings and check for the firmware version, it shows the new firmware version number. The update appears to install just like "normal" updates.(updating message, reboots and all else)

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #245
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Hopefully the next Batch of Clara HD will be Bigger! Hopefully they Exceeded Expectations & More stores will get them in
I think Walmart expected their customers to be more gullable. Wow, look, a $99 Aura Ed 2, what a great deal. So they never considered smart customers that didn't go for the bait and chose the limited stock Clara HD which even at a the regular price appears to be more attractive. Kobo was probably more than happy to offload the Aura at a discount to get rid of it. They (meaning Walmart) may not stock the Clara again until most the Aura stock is sold.

If the Aura Ed 2 was such a great deal, it should be sold out already and the next batch again at regular price.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 09-12-2018 at 07:54 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #246
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If the Aura Ed 2 was such a great deal, it should be sold out already and the next batch again at regular price.
Of course that all depends on how many Aura Ed 2s and Claras Walmart started with. They could have had many more times as many Aura 2s as Claras. Without that information we have no idea how many of each model Walmart is selling.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #247
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Of course that all depends on how many Aura Ed 2s and Claras Walmart started with. They could have had many more times as many Aura 2s as Claras. Without that information we have no idea how many of each model Walmart is selling.
Right, I am basing that on expected demand and supply. If you run out of stock, then your supply chain is too slow (too much demand for the supply). No matter if they only sell 1 Clara for each 10 Aura, they still miscalculated.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #248
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I understand the Supply/Demand ... What I Don't get is Why they allowed them sold Online when they were to be In Stores. Not everyone wants to pay for them with Credit Card. I setting here with $140 Cash in had No place to Buy one Kobo wont except their Own Gift Cards as payment on eReader

I have couple of neighbors wanting to buy my Aura course it come Packed with ebooks & SDCard with another 300 ALL Side loaded ... No idea what to ask for it. Not selling till I get my Clara

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-12-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #249
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
It looks like Clara HDs are back in stock ("two day" delivery that somehow equals September 18th delivery).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Clara-HD/848940265

It looks like the in-store pickup discount is gone.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #250
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo AuraHD/Aura6"/H2O/GloHD/KA1/ClaraHD
I wonder if Kobo/Walmart had real trouble trying to pre-judge what demand would be in the US? Based on what I read in these forums, the "Amazon is best - no-one else comes close" mantra seems to be deeply ingrained in the US psyche.

Even now I'm not really sure what it is about the Kobos that has convinced US MR members to dip their toes in Kobo waters. Is it simple curiosity of what a different brand might have to offer or is it serious analysis of certain advantages expressed by Kobo owners in these forums, e.g. superior calibre integration?

Whatever the reasons, I hope they sell enough of them to keep Kobo afloat to provide at least some credible Kindle alternative in the longer term. A complete Amazon monopoly won't be good for any of us.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #251
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Even now I'm not really sure what it is about the Kobos that has convinced US MR members to dip their toes in Kobo waters. Is it simple curiosity of what a different brand might have to offer or is it serious analysis of certain advantages expressed by Kobo owners in these forums, e.g. superior calibre integration?
I admit it, I'm an ebook hoarder. While I started out as a SF book hoarder, the Baen Free Library got me started on ebooks, Fictionwise's great sales ultimately led me to B&N, and after B&N dropped the microSD slot from their eReaders, I eventually made the switch to Kobo because it's pretty easy to upgrade some models, including the Clara HD, to be able to store my entire ebook library on the reader, which is something not possible with Kindles. I have a cheap refurb Kindle that I never use, but is useful for a couple of magazine subscriptions and I haven't done anything with my Nook Simple Touches because there's probably no resale value for them. I might not need to buy another ereader unless my Kobo Glo HD dies and can't be fixed, but I'm still thinking about getting a Clara HD for the Overdrive integration.

With Kobo's price matching, about the only time I buy something from another ebook retailer is when Kobo doesn't sell it, or there's some publisher that has a fantastic sale elsewhere and to buy from Kobo means something like I'd be spending a hundred dollars and ending up with $90 in store credit.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 AM   #252
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My store is showing pictures of the Kobo Aura 2nd edition BUT they are calling it Kobo Aura?? Wonder if they ran out of the 2nd ed
Old 09-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #253
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
I'm also someone who started with a Nook, then switched to Kobo a few years ago. I have a Kindle, but I like the Kobo readers (hardware and software) much more.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #254
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I'm also someone who started with a Nook, then switched to Kobo a few years ago. I have a Kindle, but I like the Kobo readers (hardware and software) much more.
I like the Kobo cause so far I been reading on my Aura for 2 Years... PWs only lasted 6-9 Months!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #255
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Still no Clara in my Store Was suppose to be here Friday NOT So they Think it will be here Monday IF it arrives they going to call me & hold one They had Lots of people stop by and ask about the Clara But I am the only one that came back. Funny that also have a Same 3 Aura 2nd ed.... No one seems to want them!