Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
N10 years later after the first eink device, they haven't still breach the 500dpi to make it paper.
300dpi with 16 greyscales is plenty good enough to equal paperback print quality.

My gripe isn't with the resolution, but the refresh speed and lack of colour.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #62
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
No, just the video of the screens that are showing to sell from just few weeks ago that I linked.

I think that if they are still showing 100dpi screens as samples just months before entering production to supply the manufacturers, we can take for granted that those screens are what we are going to see in the final devices for the first generation
No, not sure. And, you can easily turn it the other way around: "they have shown 200dpi, so they do not have resolution as an obstacle as they step into the volume product process".
Also, they state the final product will be «school books»: it makes no sense to match that with the idea that they would ship 100dpi e-paper. The project would be a laughing stock.

EDIT: I am still focused on the latest news, and the «school books» concept, but the past news do not seem to me overridden:

CLEARink signs agreement with leading tablet maker to start supplying tablet displays for at least $10m in initial orders

Fremont, May 29 2018 – CLEARink Displays Inc, the leader in next-generation reflective displays, announced today that it has signed a partnership agreement with a leading tablet maker to supply CLEARink tablet displays beginning in 2019.

The CLEARink tablet displays will feature up to 50% larger form factors than conventional reflective tablets, high resolution, video and colour. The devices will be targeted at the large tablet market, where consumers today have to choose between the 1 day battery life of LCD based tablets, or the total absence of color and internet browsing capability of monochrome reflective tablets. CLEARink displays combine the best characteristics of LCD and reflective displays by offering color, video, low power, outdoor readability and low cost.

Quote:
That's the reason I think we are at least 2 or 3 years away (if not 5) until we can get 10/13" devices with +200 dpi for less than 1000€
If CLEARink succeeds with the first steps, it may happen in two years. 200dpi is there, I don't think size scaling is a problem there. May: it is not granted, because it may not be in the plan. Will the public "love" the effect? Will the investment efforts affordable? Where will be the focus, given that they state it is now set on "ultraportable"?

Quote:
the electronic paper industry seems to advance much more slower than any other. 10 years later after the first eink device, they haven't still breach the 500dpi to make it paper. They released 13" screens after 8 years
How many potential customers are interested in 500dpi? I have eagle eyes, all I could see in the first Apple-phones were huge grids with immense moats, I actually wrote Booxtor after having received the MaxCarta (slightly more than 200dpi) stating that something was wrong, the display was a checkerboard - and all this given, I do not think I am interested in 500dpi. 260dpi, yes, certainly, it's fantastic; 300dpi, well if you can yes please; 500dpi, why would you, preposterous.

What would be the cost disadvantage? The speed disadvantage? The power consumption disadvantage? The management resources requirements disadvantage?

13" screens are, like all the rest, a considerable investment cost that has to return, you do not do that just because you can. Those screens cost more than many full devices. It takes a bet on the market to start production, in a plan that fits a snapshot. You are presenting it as a matter of breakthrough... If you so believe - that at E-Ink they first struggled to produce big screens, instead of just not giving them priority: any proof?

ADDENDUM:
But high resolution on eSchoolbooks is a "nice-to-have", not a "must-have", and people do not want to pay a premium ... I highly doubt they would want to pay for more than 300dpi
Sri Peruvemba, Vice President of Marketing, CLEARink

Quote:
and they've been teasing color ereaders from 3 or 4 companies and all of them failed, including mirasol by qualcomm that was by far the one with more money invested. So, I'm not optimistic at all in this regards.

Unless some really big player like amazon starts pouring money towards color screens, I don't think it's going to advance fast enough to be useful as ereaders soon.
Even if more times the money is pumped in a technology with dubious results, the problem remains structural within the technology.
Currently, we are waiting for a technical idea that can yield satisfactory results. Maybe it's happening.

Last edited by mdp; 09-15-2018 at 10:34 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #63
plusz
Addict
plusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notesplusz can name that song in three notes

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Yet, I cannot see any info about the weight to the displays. I love to use 13" inch but if it's going to be as heavy as an iPad, than no thank you.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote