Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #31
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
It looks to me from the quoted code that the containing block is bloody tiny, vis:

height:343px;
width:595px;

And then the contained element is 100% of that. I mean, sh*t, 343px is roughly...what, an eighth of the width of a Fire tablet screen in landscape now and what, one-fourth of the width of it in portrait? TEENY.

For an Oasis, at 1,680 × 1264 pixels, again, you'd be talking a fourth-to-third of the width.

It's the container that's constraining the image. If you use Phillip's stuff, you won't have to worry about that.

Hitch
Yeah, I forget how InDesign handles stuff like this, but I would just about bet its assigning to the parent element whatever the actual pixel dimensions of the image are. If so, I have no clue why it would do that, as it seems to me that would have the exact same result as leaving all of the dimensions unset--though it's likely I'm forgetting something obvious.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
Yeah, I forget how InDesign handles stuff like this, but I would just about bet its assigning to the parent element whatever the actual pixel dimensions of the image are. If so, I have no clue why it would do that, as it seems to me that would have the exact same result as leaving all of the dimensions unset--though it's likely I'm forgetting something obvious.
Ooh-ooh-ooh, I know, I know! (she said, raising her hand). LOL.

You can blame that right on Apple. When iBooks (now known as Books, stupidest name for an eBook-reading app, ever) first debuted, alas and alack, it could not size images. The only way to size them was to put them inside a container and size the container. Y'all must remember that from "ePUB: Straight to the Point," by the dear Liz Castro, who seems to have packed up her eBookery bag and moved along?

Yupperdoodle. Same reason that we all see, and are plagued by, fixed-layout ePUBs exported from INDD that only work on Books, f/k/a iBooks. (Oh, okay, fine, they also work on Kobos, as KoboBooks mooched, cough, er, homaged Apple's FXL coding.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But if you settle for "show the images at the largest possible size, with no aspect ratio distortion", as phillipgessert says, that's doable and reasonable (except for the bit about not being possible to easily target the screen height, that's a true nuisance).
Indeed. Set the width and never mention height, or at worst maybe auto?
Also use "Tablet" on Page settings when doing docx to epub2 conversion in Calibre, assuming the wordprocessor embedded images make sense. Then you can check the CSS afterwards.
Use Sigil if doing a more customised ebook creation. We just do simple stuff so mostly docx to epub2 just works. Sometimes it doesn't quite.

InDesign was really created for paper print publication via PDF, so it's not the best way to make clean epub2. And all Amazon eink, ereader apps and Fire work most predictably with an upload of a nice clean simple epub2 to KDP. That passes Check Book and Epub Check in Calibre, that the system TOC (NCX) works OK on an epub ereader or a proper epub app or Calibre Viewer and all internal links and external links go to expected places.
Not all physical ereaders actually support even internal links, but most do.

We also create a text contents page in the source document using Anchors/Bookmarks at the start of the destinations and simple internal links on the page. This is in addition to the conversion generated TOC / NCX that the reader or app uses from a menu.

Also any heading appearance not meant to be in the TOC/NCX is given a body text level rather than a level. The Wordprocessor paragraph styles should map 1:1 to class="something" in the HTML and then a definition in the CSS. So never put anything in a style property that won't make sense to an ebook CSS.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-23-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of InDesign. I've seen some pretty bad code from eBooks made from ID.

Class names that make no sense. Numbers like 0.00138, too many excess divs where they do not need to be as you can do what's being done with proper CSS. And other rubbish.

If you do use ID to make an eBook, you really really should take the eBook and clean up the code. That goes for anytime you don't hand craft the code.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #35
knightrider247
knightrider247 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Yes, thank you, Philipp!

I am sorry, but I am still not quite there yet (but way further :-))

A) Why couldn't I set the width of a portrait image to 100 % as well? (And why is height a problem if given in %?)

B) My plan: Making a zip with all images, the css file and all the html files (one html file per image) ...
BUT ... Amazon states that ZIPS are only shown with the Kindle App ... is that to be ignored just like MOBI vs. EPUB?

THX
knightrider
knightrider247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why are you trying to do things that won't work or only work on a tiny fraction of devices?
Old 01-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #37
knightrider247
knightrider247 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you trying to do things that won't work or only work on a tiny fraction of devices?
Are you referring to the ZIP-file?
Like stated I am wondering whether the statement of Amazon can be ignored - just like the one (supposedly) regarding (not) EPUB compatibilty with E-ink readers.
I thought it is the cleaner option to "code" in a HTML editor and then putting it in a ZIP-file instead of working in an EPUB in Calibre and editing the html files there or converting html afterwards. But that would work too.

Aside from that I thought I am on exactly the track to do what works on my most devices ...
-code it myself
-flowable content

What am I missing?
knightrider247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #38
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider247 View Post
Yes, thank you, Philipp!

I am sorry, but I am still not quite there yet (but way further :-))

A) Why couldn't I set the width of a portrait image to 100 % as well? (And why is height a problem if given in %?)

B) My plan: Making a zip with all images, the css file and all the html files (one html file per image) ...
BUT ... Amazon states that ZIPS are only shown with the Kindle App ... is that to be ignored just like MOBI vs. EPUB?

THX
knightrider
A) because at full width, you’re more likely to exceed the height of the device for the portrait images, which I assume is undesirable. And as I mentioned before, you cannot target the device height like that. % of height only targets the height of the container, not the height of the screen; and you cannot target the height of the screen while preserving compatibility.

B) sorry, I am not familiar with that workflow; though it sounds rather close to just making an EPUB, so I would just do that.

Last edited by phillipgessert; 01-24-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, portrait images. Forgot about those.
Portrait, set height as a percent and landscape set width.
Only set one or the other.
If there are not too many images you can use an image size suitable for an 8" or 10" 300 dpi device and it will then look better than a small image only suitable for a 4" screen expanded.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What is the best way to code for a screen that's 4:3 and a screen that's 16:9 with the same code so the images are aspect ratio correct?
Old 01-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Only put width or height depending if a landscape or portrait image. I think the other property can be either auto or left out, I forget.
Beware of containing scope properties that are set when leaving out a property setting.

I've also seen 1:1, 5:4, 2:1, 16:10 and 3:1 screens.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Only put width or height depending if a landscape or portrait image. I think the other property can be either auto or left out, I forget.
Beware of containing scope properties that are set when leaving out a property setting.

But I would ignore those non0standard screen aspect ratios. 16:10 will be handled by 16:9. 5:4 handled by 4:3. The rest are so non-standard as to be easily able to be ignored.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

auto works. :-)

@knightrider247: you don't set both to 100%, because then, just as you have already seen, the image will distort, trying to fit the image 100% in both directions, that's why.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

auto works is a car service garage.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #45
phillipgessert
Addict

The other problem with height: 100%, unless I’m misremembering (likely), is that while width % first targets width of the parent container, and failing that it targets screen width; height % also first targets the parent, but failing that it does nothing at all. So in order to use height 100%, you’d first have to attach a height value to a parent element, and that doesn’t seem to offer any benefits compared to just picking an arbitrary width. At least not in this case where high compatibility is desired.

Last edited by phillipgessert; 01-24-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Tags
format, kdp, photobook