Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #76
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is a link to a video comparing the Kindle Oasis to the Kobo Forma. The Link starts at 8:33. Pause the video at 8:35 and have a good look. I'd like to get your opinions. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/VbrEQWxj_ww?t=513
That's the 2017 Oasis, which has worse contrast than the 2019 one. Of course the Forma is better.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #77
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
KOBO-Libra is not a very good contrast (contrast of an equivalent book) compared to KOBA-FORMA, which has significantly better contrast of both H2O and Oasis_10Gen.
* Unfortunately, I no longer have Oasis or KOBO-FORMA for photo comparison.
But I owned both devices and the form had better contrast and fineness of the font..

.. Compared to KOBO-LIBRA vs Oasis, OASIS is of course better on that.
Thanks for comparing
Best of what I've seen to worst, just text, without built in light:
1: Original H2O, though slightly lower resolution.
2: About equal: PW3, Kobo Libra and Likebook Mars
3: PW4, but fine if you've not seen the others.

I've not seen the Voyage, Oasis or Forma.

The Kobo Touch I had was dreadful with ghosting, Kindle DXG, older Basic, and KK3 all better.
The Nook Touch and PRS-350 similar quality and not quite as bright as the DXG (which uses a later screen than DX, which (I've not seen) or the KK3. All five of those are fine to read.
I did see the originally launched Sony in Dublin (maybe the 2nd model?), it was very grey and too expensive. But wife or I would have bought it to read Gutenberg texts if it had been cheaper. Tedious reading on 2002 laptop or CRT back then. Maybe 2006 or 2007.

Anyway with ambient light good enough for a paperback, any of the DXG, KK3, old Basic, PRS-350, PW3, Original H2O, Libra or PW4 are fine to read on. The DXG, KK3 and old Basic are slow and too low resolution. The 5" PRS-350 is nicer than a 6" phone. I found the slightly lower resolution Original H2O far better than the PW3 due to 6.8", annotation export via Kobo Utilities, series and collection management. The 300 dpi 7" Libra was the best over all, though not just as bright under ambient as original H2O due to better speed, easier to do selections and higher resolution.
The Mars was cheaper than the Forma and bought as a luxury to enable direct County Library access (Borrow box) via Android app. It's also better for PDFs.
I bought the DXG for PDFs, but despite 9.7" it's too slow and too low resolution for image based PDFs, the original H2O is better.

Cost here:
Cheapest is Mars, next is Forma and Oasis is the most expensive. Libra is cheaper than all three. Also the Kindles are poor at collections, series, annotation export compared to Kobo. You can load older firmware on a Kobo, but not usually on Kindle.

So I'd not buy an Oasis over a Forma (or Libra even) if the screen was a lot better. I find it hard to believe there is more than a marginal difference between any current eink that's 300 dpi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:14 AM   #78
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
For me, weight, ergonomics and page-turn buttons are more important than an excellent screen. Also I prefer 7'' screens over smaller and since getting my first reader with the warm light feature (Oasis 3) that's a must-have as well (for reading in dim lamplight during autumn and winter. I don't like bright lights, not even a bright reading lamp.)

So I sold my Voyage, despite its having the best screen of all my readers. I found I no longer liked to use it. Now I mostly switch between the Oasis and the Libra, sometimes the Nook as well (it's heavier than the others and the software is much poorer, so not my favorite. Still, I don't want to sell it. It has most of the features important to me - buttons, nice big screen, warm light, and it's quite comfy to hold.)

The Libra has better ergonomics than the Oasis, but the Oasis has a better screen. As to software, both have their pros and cons. The Libra has an excellent integration with Calibre, more features and is far more customizable. The Oasis is faster and has global search.

As to price. I'm not rich or even well off by any yardstick, and I'm very price-conscious in most areas of my life. The only areas where quality is more important to me than price are stuff for my cats (litter, food) and my electronics (laptops, tablets, ereaders - my TV, fridge and other household stuff are on the cheaper side). The latter are the only really expensive items I own.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 09:32 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote