Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-30-2021, 05:34 AM   #856
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
...I'd expect "in bed" to be used orders of magnitude more often than "inbred"... unless you *really* mangled the spelling

I once texted "I'm enjoying some Zinfandel."

Autocorrect changed it to "I'm enjoying some Infanticide."

Fortunately, I caught it. Seriously, it's not even close!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:51 AM   #857
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post

As I just posted elewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Autocorrect insists it's Asterisk, it must be write it has autifictional tellimess

STD is also Send To Device round here, elsewhere its Seize The Day.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #858
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've had two smartphones from different companies, one micro USB and one USB C. Both ended up needing the USB ports replaced after they were out of warranty but while the phones were still in good condition otherwise. I am admittedly a klutz. I keep my phone in a dual-layer case because I am prone to dropping things. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Edit USB types

Last edited by 4691mls; 06-04-2021 at 03:51 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #859
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've had two smartphones from different companies, one USB A and one USB C. Both ended up needing the USB ports replaced after they were out of warranty but while the phones were still in good condition otherwise. I am admittedly a klutz. I keep my phone in a dual-layer case because I am prone to dropping things. Is there anything else I should be doing?
How do those "proximity chargers" work, and does the phone need to be specially capable to use those? (You set the phone on top of the charger; no plugs repeatedly being stressed)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #860
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
How do those "proximity chargers" work, and does the phone need to be specially capable to use those? (You set the phone on top of the charger; no plugs repeatedly being stressed)
Wireless chargers? They work fairly well but either need a device designed to work with them or a dongle that you attach more or less permanently. One of my relatives uses the one: Nillkin Wireless Charging Receiver with an iPhone 7 Plus.

My only objection to wireless charging is that it is inefficient.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #861
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I've had two smartphones from different companies, one micro USB and one USB C. Both ended up needing the USB ports replaced after they were out of warranty but while the phones were still in good condition otherwise. I am admittedly a klutz. I keep my phone in a dual-layer case because I am prone to dropping things. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Edit USB types
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Good suggestion if you are rough with your charging port.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #862
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that possibility
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:44 PM   #863
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
My son has the same problem. We got a wireless charger with an adapter for the phone and he hasn't had a problem since. (It has been several years.)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:24 AM   #864
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Bloody Mozilla

Yes, the latest Firefox titivations do look a bit nicer, but why do they whittle away functionality. I had a Copy Link button next to the Bookmark Star and Reader View buttons at the right-hand end of the URL button.

Gone!
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #865
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post

Unless Zinfandel is made from baby grapes, perhaps?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 AM   #866
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The latest Windows Update keeps crashing my taskbar. I tried to uninstall it but the stupid thing wouldn't go away.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-10-2021 at 12:41 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #867
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The latest Windows Update keeps crashing my taskbar. I tried to uninstall it but the stupid thing wouldn't go away.
Is it an issue with enabling/disabling the News and Interests item?
Old 06-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #868
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Out of curiosity, which version of Win10 are you running?

I run Win10 Pro, and have been free of this sort of annoyance. I suspect it mostly bites on Win10 Home installations.

MS has specifically stated it thinks its customer is the Enterprise, and assumes Pro and above will be run on corporate desktops that have a company Windows image installed with Windows and approved apps. Companies will be unhappy about problems like you have, and may well have paid MS support contracts through which they can express their displeasure.

(I won't run Home, and stuff like this is a reason why.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #869
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post

I run Win10 Pro, and have been free of this sort of annoyance. I suspect it mostly bites on Win10 Home installations.
Under Windows 10 Pro, Education and Enterprise, I am seeing an issue with the systray when I enable/disable the News and Interests item. It was present in the Windows 10 Insider Previews and reported multiple times before the release of the 21H1 update.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:34 PM   #870
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post

MS has specifically stated it thinks its customer is the Enterprise, and assumes Pro and above will be run on corporate desktops that have a company Windows image installed with Windows and approved apps. Companies will be unhappy about problems like you have, and may well have paid MS support contracts through which they can express their displeasure.

(I won't run Home, and stuff like this is a reason why.)
______
Dennis
Running Home, unfortunately—cost of Professional is a bit much for me when I can just use a batch file to enable the GPE.

The issue turned out to be an incompatibility between KB5003637's "news and interests" and a shell extension I use. Updating the shell extension fixed things.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote