Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
klgc
klgc began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook and iPad
Sigil 1.5.1 not executing on macOS 10.15.7

I've been using Sigil 1.3.0 on macOS Catalina for some time now without any problems and still can.

Thinking of starting a new project using the latest stable Sigil, I downloaded 1.5.1, moved it to the Desktop, and used Terminal.app (as per the instructions changing only the package name in Terminal to Sigil.app-1.5.1-Mac.txz) to create an executable.

No problems were indicated in Terminal, so I renamed the resulting app to Sigil 1-5-1.app (I've kept older Sigil versions with this convention in case there is a problem with a new version), and moved it to my Applications folder.

When I double click on Sigil 1-5-1.app I get the following message:

------------------------------------------------
“Sigil 1-5-1.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.
Safari downloaded this file today at 12:16 PM.
------------------------------------------------

The developer website directed me here to note my issue. Does anybody have any suggestions regarding this problem?

Thank you,
L. G. Cullens
klgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That is just macOS overreacting and trying to extend its special garden to Desktop opensource apps.

You just need to tell macOS that you truly want to run it. And you only need to do that once:

1. Using your mouse, RIGHT click on Sigil-1.5.1.app and a pop-up menu will appear.
2. In the pop-up menu select open

macOS will give you that BS fear raising message

Immediately after that

3. Right click again on Sigil and select open in the pop-up menu again.

MacOS will then check for my developer signature and launch Sigil.

You will not have to do that again until you next install another version.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm sure KevinH will be along shortly with particulars, but in the meantime, here's his steps from another post:

Steps 5 and 6 might be where you're going wrong (as you indicated you double-clicked the app file rather than right-click->open).

I could be all wet, there, but as I said... KevinH will be along.

As I said, KevinH will be along ...
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
klgc
klgc began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook and iPad
Thank you, that worked fine. In the past when I first opened a new release, macOS asked if I really wanted to open the app. This time I was confused because the first message flat refused me. On the second try though, the message had an option to open the app.

As an aside, I clicked on Donate on https://sigil-ebook.com and it says:
Not available at this time.
Living on SS, I don't have much, but I thought it worthwhile.
klgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We both volunteer our development time. If you want to give back, you could always volunteer to help out: ie answer user questions here on MR, help keep the UserGuide up to date, etc.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #6
increase
Connoisseur
increase began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Just loaded Sigil 1.5.1 in code view you could double click the file tab to switch to wysiwyg mode, which seems to have been changed in 1.5.1
increase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by increase View Post
Just loaded Sigil 1.5.1 in code view you could double click the file tab to switch to wysiwyg mode, which seems to have been changed in 1.5.1
BookView has been gone for a while (Sigil 0.9.1.5 ?). The current replacement is setting PageEdit as the external HTML editor. My personal preference is to have code view on one monitor and the preview pane on a second monitor.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-20-2021 at 03:13 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
increase
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
BookView has been gone for a long time (Sigil 0.9.1.5 ?). The current replacement is setting PageEdit as the external HTML editor. My personal preference is to have code view on one monitor and the preview pane on a second monitor.
Thanks I changed back to 0.9.13
Old 04-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by increase View Post
Thanks I changed back to 0.9.13
I was happy to see BookView gone since it all too often generated junk CSS which I then had to clean up. PageEdit is better but still not perfect.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:53 PM   #10
increase
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was happy to see BookView gone since it all too often generated junk CSS which I then had to clean up. PageEdit is better but still not perfect.
Yes I know what you mean, I have experienced that, but I do like the double click toggle, rather than preview
Old 04-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Might want to install PageEdit or alternatively make key sequence to show/hide Preview if issue is screen space.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #12
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Just wanted to add another way to bypass that block. The Security and Privacy panel under System Preferences usually lists the last-blocked app with a button that lets you override it. Handy when it's blocking a command line app (not the case here obviously, but still would've worked).
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote