Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #946
readit728
readit728 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Still having trouble

I am on a Windows pc, and much like some of the prior posters, my prior 1.17 version went straight to an update for 1.29 so I uninstalled and then reinstalled 1.17 but now calbre does not work in the conversion. I saw some reference to others using 1.26 or thereabouts and I read the prior responses to this thread but I am unclear what are the current recommendations to get calibre to work on a windows pc. Not terribly tech savvy so can someone walk me through how to get up to speed for a guy who is terrified to modify the registry!
readit728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #947
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by readit728 View Post
I am on a Windows pc, and much like some of the prior posters, my prior 1.17 version went straight to an update for 1.29 so I uninstalled and then reinstalled 1.17 but now calbre does not work in the conversion. I saw some reference to others using 1.26 or thereabouts and I read the prior responses to this thread but I am unclear what are the current recommendations to get calibre to work on a windows pc. Not terribly tech savvy so can someone walk me through how to get up to speed for a guy who is terrified to modify the registry!
I'm running 1.17.1 (44183) and did get the request to update the previous time I ran it. I selected the option to go away (I forget the actual wording). Just ran 1.17.1 again and It's running no problem. No update was forced on me.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #948
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by readit728 View Post
reinstalled 1.17 but now calbre does not work in the conversion.
If you have Kindle for PC 1.17 reinstalled then getting it to work again with calibre would be the easiest thing to do next. If you are having failures due to DRM then post for help at either Apprentice Alf's Blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub. If something else is going wrong then be more specific about that and someone should be able to help you.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #949
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm running 1.17.1 (44183) and did get the request to update the previous time I ran it. I selected the option to go away (I forget the actual wording). Just ran 1.17.1 again and It's running no problem. No update was forced on me.
Same here. I could just click 'Skip this version' and it did.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #950
mexofeed1
mexofeed1 began at the beginning.

Device: Supernote A5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I did some more digging at the issue. I managed to duplicate the Your Kindle App needs an update to download using Kindle for PC 1.26.

This required a 2 step process.

After opening Regedit, I went into HKCU/Software/Amazon/Kindle/User Settings and changed the value of isKRFDRendererSupported from true to false. At this point, it looks fine but as soon as you open Kindle for PC 1.26, the value gets changed back to true.

To prevent this from happening, again in Regedit, right click on User Settings and then Permissions. In Permissions, click on Disable Inheritance. This will ask if you want to do with current inherited permissions. Click on the Convert Inherited Permissions into explicit permissions on this object. Once that is done, step though the listed users, double click on any that don't show Read as the Access and remove the check mark from Full Control leaving the one on Read.

Perhaps not oddly this seems to block all KFX downloads for K4PC 1.26 and 1.28.

Edit: Also checked with Kindle for PC 1.29.58059 and still did not get KFX files though I did re-enable Full Control for System, my user and Administrators before the install and removed Full Control after the install. Without that, the install seemed to work but Kindle for PC came up still saying it was 1.28.55076.
That fixed it for me, thanks
I wasn't actually using a VM I was using Windows Sandbox. I guess the registry inheriting was what messed me up because I have disabled KFX on my host (through apprenticesakuya's Powershell script)
mexofeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #951
helpplease
helpplease began at the beginning.

Device: Mac, VM solutions
Hello: I purchased a kindle title that amazon saysonly able to download title to subset devices -- bunch of kindle devices, plus (kindle for android, and kindle for iPad ) allowed but does not list either kindle for Mac or kindle for PC. I am hoping others know about this delimma as it appears relevant for certain type of kindles eg foreign languages like Arabic, or Italian.

The title is in Arabic.

Attempted to download to the android,And received amazon message "must upgrade to receive this title".
Upgraded to 8.11, and title downloaded to android. File format the resulted is this KFX.

It seems it is not possible to dedrm my title as this title cannot be downloaded to kindle for PC or kindle for Mac (and I do not own a physical kindle device).( The dedrm tools no longer have anything for kindle android later than 4.8). Is this correct?

Or is there another kindle for android version that works, or some other new method -- I ask as j Howell says in the KFX input plugin thread the kfx input plugin only works on kindle for android 8.11 and earlier. Implies some hope... maybe..

Thankyou for your assistance.
helpplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #952
helpplease
helpplease began at the beginning.

Device: Mac, VM solutions
Sorry, very bad with this forum. I tried to add this to below question.

Jhowell Quote from other thread:
Import cannot currently be performed on KFX books downloaded using Kindle for Android version 8.12 or greater and Kindle for Fire 14.12 or greater due to new DRM.
No workable import method is available for the Kindle for iOS app.

Last edited by helpplease; 07-24-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added apology
helpplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #953
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpplease View Post
The title is in Arabic.
Sorry, Arabic titles cannot be converted at this time. They are only available in KFX format and the platforms on which those books can be found do not currently have workable solutions for KFX DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpplease View Post
Jhowell Quote from other thread:
Import cannot currently be performed on KFX books downloaded using Kindle for Android version 8.12 or greater and Kindle for Fire 14.12 or greater due to new DRM.
Outdated information. I have updated the KFX Input plugin documentation to indicate that import from Kindle for Android and Fire tablets is not possible.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 AM   #954
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Kindle for PC 1.26 just automatically installed over my previously working Kindle. No option.

Sod it. That means all downloads now enter the Kindle Library as folders rather than files!

Looks like I have some reading to do as my e-reader only accepts ePub files......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #955
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've sourced and downloaded a copy of 1.17, and removed the rubbish that flew in this morning. All the new downloads in the Kindle Library removed and reinstalled under 1.17.

Calibre downloads and, more importantly, converts to ePub.

That was rather vicious of Amazon to bypass its own check on "do not install new versions". Something to watch out for in the future.
Not too sure why I couldn't get the latest plugin to function correctly under 1.26 - nothing on Apprentice Alf gave me a clue.

for Calibre and Apprentice Alf.....
Old 07-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #956
GeoffC

Came here after a heads-up from Paul....1.26 flew onto my PC this morning and crashed my hopes of dedrm'ing my kindle files.....

I'll keep this in mind, for later occurrences when Amazon force another update on me, against my wishes!

Have gone back to 1.17, from 1.26 - not too sure what I had yesterday. All now working as normal.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:20 AM   #957
Proximanova
Proximanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, 10th generation (2018)
Downloading directly from Amazon over USB no longer works for me. Any book I download directly from Amazon (from the Download and Transfer via USB option) gives me a Book is DRM-locked error whenever I convert it through Calibre. This seems to be a very new problem, as it always worked otherwise.
Proximanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:27 AM   #958
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximanova View Post
Downloading directly from Amazon over USB no longer works for me. Any book I download directly from Amazon (from the Download and Transfer via USB option) gives me a Book is DRM-locked error whenever I convert it through Calibre. This seems to be a very new problem, as it always worked otherwise.
For detailed help you'll need to ask at Apprentice Alf's blog.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #959
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximanova View Post
If it makes you feel better, it's still working for me (I just tested to make sure). As the grand mouse says, go to Alf's blog and ask for help there, I'm sure that they'll help you figure it out.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #960
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
What is the current status on importing KFX books newly downloaded from Amazon? I have all the latest plugins, calibre 4.22, and K4PC 1.24.3 (51068) but I can't add new books.

If I disable KFX, then I can add AZW3 (but many of them lacks the embedded fonts).
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc