Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #181
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do have a report to make. I just converted a Mobipocket format eBook using Mobi2LRF and when you get the parts in the book where you have the tOC entries, there is the word Link next to the entry and the word Link is the link back to the ToC.

LinkPart I <--- Link is the llnk instead of Part I

Does this make sense?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #182
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have a report to make. I just converted a Mobipocket format eBook using Mobi2LRF and when you get the parts in the book where you have the tOC entries, there is the word Link next to the entry and the word Link is the link back to the ToC.

Does this make sense?
No can you expand a little? What is the problem? Does the link back to the TOC not work?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #183
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Does this make sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No can you expand a little? What is the problem? Does the link back to the TOC not work?
The link works. But the word Link doesn't belong. The link should be Part I. Also, I get some blank pages where they do not exist in the original Mobi file.

LinkPart I <--- should be Part I
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #184
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Calibre uses the , to denote multiple authors and the ; to denote lastname; first name. To me, that's the logical thing to do.
Funny... I'd have expected something like "Last, First" for each author, with multiple authors indicated some other way. Perhaps "Last1, First1 & Last2, First2, & ..." Of course there's still the question of how to deal with multiple editors, (or even just a single editor). And books where Author and Editor both matter. And...

May I suggest that a quick discussion with an actual librarian is in order? They've already been dealing with these problems since forever.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #185
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The link works. But the word Link doesn't belong. The link should be Part I. Also, I get some blank pages where they do not exist in the original Mobi file.

LinkPart I <--- should be Part I
Send me the file.
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #186
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
1) Is intentional. Otherwise when people add books they dont get added to the top of the list and I get bug reports about "add books" not working
How about if it remembers the last sort... but when you add books the sort changes to date so that the new books are listed at the top?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #187
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How about if it remembers the last sort... but when you add books the sort changes to date so that the new books are listed at the top?

BOb
A good idea.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #188
mdavidson@websen
mdavidson@websen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (UK)
b10 Mac crash on startup

Mac OSX 10.5.4
calibre-0.4.84b10.dmg 08-Sep-2008 15:47 (the new one)

When starting calibre a calibre Error occurs, console output:

09/09/2008 21:28:48 calibre[2164] calibre Error
09/09/2008 21:28:48 calibre[2164] calibre Error
An unexpected error has occurred during execution of the main script

ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/lxml/etree.so, 2): Symbol not found: _libiconv_close
Referenced from: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/lxml/etree.so
Expected in: dynamic lookup

09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] Traceback (most recent call last):
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 208, in <module>
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] _run('main.py')
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py", line 135, in _run
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] execfile(path, globals(), globals())
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/main.py", line 14, in <module>
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] from calibre.ebooks.metadata.meta import get_metadata
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] File "calibre/ebooks/metadata/meta.pyo", line 11, in <module>
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/ebooks/metadata/lit.py", line 12, in <module>
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/ebooks/lit/reader.py", line 13, in <module>
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/lxml/etree.so, 2): Symbol not found: _libiconv_close
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] Referenced from: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/lxml/etree.so
09/09/2008 21:28:48 [0x0-0xf80f8].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2164] Expected in: dynamic lookup
mdavidson@websen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #189
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@mdavidson

You seem to be missing libiconv. What does
Code:
ls -lh /usr/lib/libiconv*
give you?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #190
mdavidson
mdavidson began at the beginning.

NB the first B10 version was working for me

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 16B 12 Aug 22:52 /usr/lib/libiconv.2.4.0.dylib -> libiconv.2.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 4.0M 23 Sep 2007 /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 20B 12 Aug 22:52 /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib -> libiconv.2.4.0.dylib
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 795B 19 Feb 2008 /usr/lib/libiconv.la
mdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #191
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Regarding the multiple author stuff, can someone start a new thread for it and we can discuss it and come up with the best solution.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #192
mdavidson
mdavidson began at the beginning.

Just retested by switching back to first b10 version - which started fine, then reinstalled the second b10 version which failed to start as above
mdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #193
Richard Marklew
Richard Marklew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm getting the exact same error as mdavidson.

Mac OSX 10.5.4
calibre-0.4.84b10.dmg

Richard
Richard Marklew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #194
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
It's been a while since my last release of calibre, and there've been a lot of
changes to its plumbing, so I need testers. Only volunteer if you are willing
to have things break. Some of the changes:
  1. The ebook files are now stored in the filesystem rather than in the database (this was done to facilitate using the calibre GUI over a network)
  2. The config system has been overhauled in preparation for html2epub
  3. Adding a HTML file to the GUI now automatically creates an OEB zipfile with all the links and images in the HTML file. This functionality can also be accessed from the commandline via the command html2oeb
  4. A couple of new recipes for news sources
  5. Over 30 bugs closed
Wow, and just when I was about to start writing my own tool for handling my books, because I can't abide by an app that doesn't let me manage my files the way I want to.

I might still have to write my app though, since it seems Calibre is still just too inflexible for me. (I even refuse to give iTunes write access to my music library, because it too thinks it knows best)

For instance, I like to get new books in multiple places, I use Foldershare to keep my books updated on all my PCs. If I dragged a new book into the Calibre folder, would it automatically add it?

If not, is there a way for Calibre to monitor a set of folders, and automatically detect when books are added to these folders? Currently, if I tell it to scan a directory again, it pops up a useless dialog, since I can't see the bottom of it (We're talking hundreds of books here), and I have to guess which button I'm on. Guess wrong, and I suddenly have two of everything.

And finally, I would love to see a more streamlined way of doing series tagging. in the Sony software, I can order the books in a series simply by dragging them around in the Collection view. In Calibre, I have to edit each book's metadata individually, which can be a pain when you're talking series like Honor Harrington, the Dresden Files, and the Liaden books with 11 or more books each.

The idea I had for my app was that it would not assume things are static. It uses your directory structure, and sets up a _metadata.txt which it reads in at startup that contains all the metadata that can't be stored inside the LRF. (.txt because I want to be able to edit it outside of the app) The app can scan the directory at each startup and detect if files have been modified or added, and update it's metadata accordingly. In other words, an app that allows me to store metadata and creates the collections on the ebook, but otherwise stays out of my way. Preferably something that doesn't take 3 minutes to start up.

Calibre is so close to my perfect app, and yet just too far away. And just a trifle sluggish.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #195
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian View Post
Wow, and just when I was about to start writing my own tool for handling my books, because I can't abide by an app that doesn't let me manage my files the way I want to.

I might still have to write my app though, since it seems Calibre is still just too inflexible for me. (I even refuse to give iTunes write access to my music library, because it too thinks it knows best)

For instance, I like to get new books in multiple places, I use Foldershare to keep my books updated on all my PCs. If I dragged a new book into the Calibre folder, would it automatically add it?

If not, is there a way for Calibre to monitor a set of folders, and automatically detect when books are added to these folders? Currently, if I tell it to scan a directory again, it pops up a useless dialog, since I can't see the bottom of it (We're talking hundreds of books here), and I have to guess which button I'm on. Guess wrong, and I suddenly have two of everything.

And finally, I would love to see a more streamlined way of doing series tagging. in the Sony software, I can order the books in a series simply by dragging them around in the Collection view. In Calibre, I have to edit each book's metadata individually, which can be a pain when you're talking series like Honor Harrington, the Dresden Files, and the Liaden books with 11 or more books each.

The idea I had for my app was that it would not assume things are static. It uses your directory structure, and sets up a _metadata.txt which it reads in at startup that contains all the metadata that can't be stored inside the LRF. (.txt because I want to be able to edit it outside of the app) The app can scan the directory at each startup and detect if files have been modified or added, and update it's metadata accordingly. In other words, an app that allows me to store metadata and creates the collections on the ebook, but otherwise stays out of my way. Preferably something that doesn't take 3 minutes to start up.

Calibre is so close to my perfect app, and yet just too far away. And just a trifle sluggish.
If you're that particular about how you want to work, I suggest you either write your own app or contribute patches to calibre. Otherwise, you'll never find an app that does everything exactly the way you want.

Supporting an auto-add folder is easy enough, and I can make the series field editable in the main GUI, not quite as easy as drag and drop, but almost as good.