Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #46
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
"I guess in the end it will all come down to Cover design?"

Good ones attract my attention. Bad/cheap covers will often turn me away from a book. If I see another young girl/boy vampire cover, I think it'll toss my cookies.

MR members have been a very good source for books and authors.

Hardcover books, the golden goose for publishers, will over some period of time, be reduced to "Special Collectors Editions".

What is needed is a more sophisticated means of promoting books on the internet. If I go to a website over and over, that site should keep track of books that I NON"T want to see on its front page.

A check list would be nice.
Teenage Romance - Skip
Teenage Vampire Romance - Skip
Books by a certain genre - Skip
Books on gay Polynesian Jewish men about their sex change and conversion to Catholicism after a root canal while abducted by a flying saucer - Skip

If you buy online, merchants can track your reading preferences. If that bothers someone put a check box to exempt yourself from monitoring.

And a box to exempt yourself from email based on your reading preferences.

Once the webpage is cleared of what I consider junk, let them publicize to their hearts content.. What they do now is shotgun blast up into the night air hoping to hit a duck.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Post #135 written by dmcunney explains why Baen isnt your typical publisher and shouldnt be compared to others.
(added link to exact post)

The points he raises are
(1) Baen aren't in New York
(2) They use contractors for some functions
(3) They are a niche publisher
(4) Baen uses Simon and Schuster for printing, marketing and distribution.

(1) No publisher has to have expensive office space in New York
(2) Contractors or employees all need to be paid
(3) Yes, they're a niche publisher, but why is that relevant?
(4) Simon and Schuster are going to be charge Baen AT LEAST their fair share of Simon and Schuster's costs.

Big publishers ought to have economies of scale that aren't available to Baen, especially in the ebook field. I think it is reasonable to compare them to other publishers.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #48
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

The points he raises are

(4) Simon and Schuster are going to be charge Baen AT LEAST their fair share of Simon and Schuster's costs.

Big publishers ought to have economies of scale that aren't available to Baen, especially in the ebook field. I think it is reasonable to compare them to other publishers.
I think what they are getting is less overheads. Sure the contractors will need to paid, but not in the same way an employee needs to be paid, health insurance, 401K that sort of thing...the hidden extras...

Sure, but far less then if they did that themselves, warehousing distribution, networks, people to run these things... etc etc...
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #49
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
"I guess in the end it will all come down to Cover design?"

Good ones attract my attention. Bad/cheap covers will often turn me away from a book. If I see another young girl/boy vampire cover, I think it'll toss my cookies.
* hands to a barf bag * lol

Yeah, I've learned the hard way that cover is 99% of the sale. That became frightfully true with my original Oort Perimeter cover. Oddly enough though, I've seen people who actually like the retro-esque blue cover over my newer one. Honestly, that's fine by me, but the thought that the cover makes up so much of the buyers choice these days is kinda startling. I mean, look at covers from the 1800's and early 1900's. Bland, text based covers, and yet people still bought, but only because of the merits of the book itself.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #50
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It may be a case of love/hate at first sight. I have the artistic ability of a smashed bug on a windshield so there's no way I can comment on what is a good cover, only if I like it or not.

But both cover and title can attract me to a book. In so far as covers from the 1800's and early 1900's go, remember that they had no TV to compete against. Today’s society is much more visually oriented re. advertising and appearances.

One of the reasons that I watch so little TV is how stupid the advertisers treat us. One that I heard as a walked by my wife’s TV was about a blood glucose meter "In fun colors! "
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #51
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

The points he raises are

Without going into it point by point, what I read from that post #135 was, "Baen has proven that all of that stuff about costs that the other publishers are spewing is crap, so therefore Baen can't be compared to the other publishers".

Big publishing houses need to be big publishing houses because they've built a business model around the production of paper books that favours that. Once the proportion of ebook sales starts to get into the same order of magnitude as pbook sales, authors are going to start telling those publishers to pound sand. It's inevitable. If an author can sell 1/2 as many books, but get to keep 5 times as much of the take from each sale, and keep as much artistic control over the material as they want by simply not publishing on paper, why the hell wouldn't they?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #52
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Honestly, that's fine by me, but the thought that the cover makes up so much of the buyers choice these days is kinda startling. I mean, look at covers from the 1800's and early 1900's. Bland, text based covers, and yet people still bought, but only because of the merits of the book itself.
So many more books available nowadays, there is no way you have time to (physically or virtually) pick them all up and read the synopsis, maybe the first few pages. Something has to grab you to make this book worth looking at. And the first filter is genre, the second is title and cover.
Conversely a poor cover can deter you from ever picking the book up. I suppose subconciously there is the assumption that if so little effort has been put into the cover, there probably wasn't much put into the text either.

Last edited by murraypaul; 09-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #53
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Also there's nothing nicer then getting you first edition signed by the Author...

How's said author going to sign someone's Kindle...
You xerox the title page, have the author sign it, scan it and insert it into the ebook files.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #54
SameOldStory
My True Self

Don't you have a touch screen that they can sign?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #55
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
You could have them sign your case or cove, if you use one.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #56
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Per someone's recommendation around here I actually started using a flyer type system where the book cover is printed on the front, and signed on the back, whenever they've wanted a physically signed book (ie, ebook with a signed piece of paper) or a digitally signed one (ie, a graphic with my signature on it inserted into the book, and both seem to work well.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
And just imagine, they need a lot of programmers to adapt each title of each ebook to each format for each ereader device.
Or one teenager with calibre.

Thanks, SOS, for that wonderful unintentionally funny article!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-03-2010 at 01:44 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #58
SameOldStory
My True Self

Who knew that putting out an ebook, after the paper book was published, was so labor intensive.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #59
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Per someone's recommendation around here I actually started using a flyer type system where the book cover is printed on the front, and signed on the back, whenever they've wanted a physically signed book (ie, ebook with a signed piece of paper) or a digitally signed one (ie, a graphic with my signature on it inserted into the book, and both seem to work well.
I wonder how well those methods will translate over the world of collectors?
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #60
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Well, most "true" collectors I know only want signed print editions. The "fan" collectors will take nearly anything, but will often settle for things like what I mentioned for the ebooks.