Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
How many actually use an SD card and how do you manage your books?

I haven't used my SD card in almost one year, relying only on the internal memory of my Sony 505.

I currently have only 151 books on my internal memory.

Recently, I started thinking maybe I should just cram a lot of books (about 200) onto the card - well, putting them in the Library first, and then have the Sony index everything, so that when (if) I change font sizes, then I won't be waiting. (But also, leave the 151 titles in the internal memory.)

By the way, I use the Sync feature on mine, which I understand many people choose not to use.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I quit using the SD card on my 505 long ago. Caused to many problems for me. Slowed the reader down, less battery life, always losing bookmarks. I also use the sync feature and never had any problems with it.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
When I found you could put 150 ebooks in internal memory which equates to 2-3 years of reading for me I didn't have much use for my 1GB SD card.
I think the SD card facility was meant to be used to load MP3 music or audio books into the reader though some have loaded more ebooks than they can read in the rest of their lifetime instead.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never used a memory card on any of my (numerous) readers (except, needless to say, with the iRex DR1000, where all user data is stored on an SD card, and internal memory is used solely by the device itself). Even the smallest-capacity reader permits the storage of 100+ "normal" books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I have an SD card but never use it mainly for the battery issue plus I've got plenty of room on my reader's internal memory.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
I have about 90 books on my reader, some are books I have just finished reading and the rest are books I intend to read .....but I also use memory cards. One card has my music and pictures on it . I keep it in the pocket of my reader jacket for times when I want to listen to music or show someone a picture of something. On other memory cards I keep my book collections. I only put about 100 books per card so if I put them in the reader it doesn't slow it down too much. I love books and when I find an author or series I like I usually get all the books. I am a relative new comer to ebooks (about 6 months ) and so I am trying to get ebook copies of favorite pbooks I have. For example ,I like Piers Anthony and Laurell K Hamilton, and they ae both very prolific writers, I have all the pbooks and now I have most of the ebooks as well. I may not read them again but I just want them for my collections.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Before I got my reader, I thought I would want a memory card, but once I had it, I found the internal memory was plenty. Eventually I'll have a library of several thousand books on my computer, but I really don't foresee needing or wanting to have access to all of them simultaneously on my reader -- currently I have 197 files on my reader, some of which have multiple novels or stories in them, and that provides me with plenty of reading material for every mood. When I want something new, I can just add it to my reader, deleting already read books/stories to make room if necessary (hasn't been so far -- the internal memory is really quite big -- or possibly book files are just unexpectedly small).
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I don't use the memory card. Recently, I started keeping about 60 to 100, but usually closer to 60, books on my Reader. (I use to have about 300, then realized that it was way more than I needed or would read right away.)

At least, twice a month I plug in and reload books and this is enough time to recharge the Reader.

I set up my collections in genre, so whatever mood I am in, I can find something to read.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Once I heard that the card may drain battery life I
chose to not use it. Besides, I see no reason for
hundreds of books on the 505 when the computer
is here every day. running lean......

Last edited by hodad66; 11-07-2009 at 05:59 PM.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Hmm,
Never use the internal memory, always use the SD card and use Calibre to do everything.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Hmm,
Never use the internal memory, always use the SD card and use Calibre to do everything.
Can I transfer the books from Sony Library to Calibre?

never mind.... found the file this morning and transferred.

Last edited by hodad66; 11-08-2009 at 09:30 AM.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
When I first got my reader I went out and bought two of the largest memory cards I could use, filled one with music and the other with books. Hundreds and hundreds of books. After my second or third crash I removed both cards and put the plastic protectors back in the reader and have been more than happy to use only the internal memory. I keep between 150-200 books in that and it's more than enough to keep me happy.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I initially thought it would be a very important feature, but find that I don't use it at all.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
In the almost two years I've had my Sony 505, I've never even attempted to use memory cards. I keep about 100 ebooks on the internal memory and just replace finished ones every few months.

I've never attempted to use mp3's on the Sony either. I have an I-River with a 40GB disk drive for that.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I use an SD card for anything that can be saved on that... I have a Palm Zire72, and it doesn't have much internal memory... The reader has to be on the internal memory, but not the books.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote