Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-16-2016, 12:19 AM   #1
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Updating metadata on Calibre for books already on Kindle

Hello! If I change some things in the metadata of a book, say the book's number in a particular series, in Calibre, what's the best way to update the metadata for the same book that is already on the Kindle?

I know the Kobo Utilities plugin has the Update Metadata on Device feature so I was wondering if there is a plugin for the Kindle that also works like that.

From what I've gathered here, the only way to reflect metadata changes is to delete the book on the Kindle and resend the book with the updated metadata. Or is there any other way that I don't know yet?

Thank you!
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Resend the book.

The Kobo is different, because it relies on the central database stored on the Kobo userstore which can be updated directly by calibre.

The Kindle relies on the metadata embedded inside the book file.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2016, 01:08 AM   #3
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Would I need to delete the book then resend it? Or simply resending will overwrite the old metadata?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:39 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Resending will overwrite the old metadata.

Note that the collections database doesn't seem to like it when books mysteriously change their titles (at least, that is what I usually change and therefore noticed) and keep the same mobi-asin. If the book is in a collection I advise deleting it, unplugging, then resending. Otherwise the book turns into a sort of ghost and becomes invisible in Collections view until you delete the offending collection(s) and rebuild it from scratch (Kindle Collections might be your friend there).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:28 AM   #5
melovesflying
Groupie

Kindle Collections has become my friend indeed. thanks for the help!
Advert

Tags
calibre, kindle, metadata