Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-16-2023, 02:58 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For my work, we use Firefox as the corporate browser of choice. The major reason is that Mozilla designed in protection for passwords without having to add in an extension such as LastPass or 1Password which are a cost item. Given that vast majority of the competing browsers are now based on the Chromium web browser code base, it's hard to accept the weird glitches between Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, Opera, Silk, Brave, etc. when rendering a web page.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:25 PM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, that's what one of those Chrome bookmark extensions is like. Plus the sidebar is heavily customizable. I really love that extension.
I know that extensions mean everyone can do it differently, according to taste, but extensions also mean that there are a whole bunch more people I have to trust, and a whole bunch more that are likely to come and go and leave me scrabbling around for replacements.

One of the reasons why I particularly like Vivaldi these days is that I don't need so many extensions to achieve what (I think) should be basic browser functionality. I now have just two extensions that are active all the time (Privacy Badger and KeePassXC), and a couple more rarely used items that I activate only when needed.

Vivaldi does have an abundance of features which can make it sound cluttered, but mostly I find the features are quite unobtrusive, to the extent that it's easy to forget stuff exists unless you use it regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For my work, we use Firefox as the corporate browser of choice. The major reason is that Mozilla designed in protection for passwords without having to add in an extension such as LastPass or 1Password which are a cost item. Given that vast majority of the competing browsers are now based on the Chromium web browser code base, it's hard to accept the weird glitches between Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, Opera, Silk, Brave, etc. when rendering a web page.
It's not a problem I've seen much of, but I know it exists because Vivaldi have had several blog posts exploring this issue. Their short version being: Lazy, poor or out of date practices on site building can make life especially difficult for browsers other than the big three.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2023, 11:47 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I know that extensions mean everyone can do it differently, according to taste, but extensions also mean that there are a whole bunch more people I have to trust, and a whole bunch more that are likely to come and go and leave me scrabbling around for replacements.
Dunno. I've used most of my extensions for many years. As to trust, that's not an issue for me. If I want privacy, I use Firefox, and I don't really care whether someone is spying on my browsing in Chrome or not.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:46 AM   #19
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
I like Vivaldi and have it as my backup browse, but suggest you have a look at the BRAVE browser it is very secure and very fast.

I have been using it for several years and have had no problems with it.

Quote:
With 3x faster page load times than Google Chrome,1 33% less memory usage,2 and up to one hour more battery life, Brave is the browser that’s built to perform. Unlike Google Chrome,3 Brave automatically blocks ads that track you, allowing your content to load quicker. And since Brave is powered by the same engine as Google Chrome, all of your favorite Chrome extensions are still readily available for use.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:22 AM   #20
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I use Brave as my default browser. Chromium with sane defaults (adblocking, etc) and open source, so it should be secure.

I would love to be able to use Firefox, but it just feels slow in comparison.

For both I use vim keybindings.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert