Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
[FileType Plugin] AZW6 Image Merge

[FileType Plugin] AZW6 Image Merge

This plugin automatically checks the source folder of an imported AZW3 file from Kindle for PC/Mac for an AZW6 sidecar file. If present, the higher resolution images from the sidecar file are integrated into the AZW3 file.

This plugin does not do any DRM removal.

Source code is available here. Choryu Park did the heavy lifting here; I just adapted their work as a standalone plugin.

Special notes
Requires Calibre v5.xx (Python 3). Has not been tested with lower Python versions.

Supported operating systems:
-Windows (Plugin is working) Tested on Windows 11.
-Linux Should work, not tested.
-Mac Should work, not tested.

Supported languages: n/a

Version Update
# Version 1.0.0 - 2021-12-17
Initial version.

Changelog
Spoiler:
# Version 1.0.0 - 2021-12-17
Initial version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AZW6ImageMerge.zip (6.2 KB, 42379 views)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reserved for future use.
Advert
Old 04-09-2022, 03:41 PM   #3
synaesthete
synaesthete began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Hi, I didn't see another thread about this plugin, so I thought I would ask here. Are there any tips for troubleshooting this plugin? I have installed it and it was working for a few days, but now it's not, and I'm trying to figure out how to get it working again. I have Windows 10 Home edition and Calibre 5.40.

If I run Calibre in debug mode, the log says that Image Merge is finding the azw.res file in the Kindle folder, but I see that it's not combining those files, and the file which appears in Calibre is the same size as the azw file without the higher resolution images added to it.
synaesthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How do we get the AZW6 file for the higher resolution images?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
synaesthete
synaesthete began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
I think it depends on the device you're using to read Kindle books, and the version of the reader software/app you're using. With Windows and Kindle for PC, the versions of K4PC that download KFX format will download more files and one of them is the azw.res file with some higher quality images.

There are some other threads about it that go into more detail. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295611
synaesthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2022, 06:32 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Some kindles with firmware version in the low 5.6 range download books as azw3 with images in azw6 files. Can this plugin be made to work with those?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:10 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the best way to download AZW6 files with Kindle eBooks?
Old 06-19-2022, 08:40 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the best way to download AZW6 files with Kindle eBooks?
I would guess K4* because the e-ink azw6 tends to be slightly worse than the USB transfer azw3 only, but I have had no success getting k4pc to run under wine, so I have no direct experience with k4* azw6.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I would guess K4* because the e-ink azw6 tends to be slightly worse than the USB transfer azw3 only, but I have had no success getting k4pc to run under wine, so I have no direct experience with k4* azw6.
If I installed a version of Kindle that allows KFX downloads, would that come with AZW6 where applicable?
Old 06-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I installed a version of Kindle that allows KFX downloads, would that come with AZW6 where applicable?
Would you please take your off topic questions someplace else?

You are burying my question before anyone has a chance to respond.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:26 PM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthete View Post
If I run Calibre in debug mode, the log says that Image Merge is finding the azw.res file in the Kindle folder, but I see that it's not combining those files, and the file which appears in Calibre is the same size as the azw file without the higher resolution images added to it.
Sorry for not responding sooner... Can you provide the full log? I haven't run into this issue at all, so I don't have any ideas offhand what might be going wrong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Some kindles with firmware version in the low 5.6 range download books as azw3 with images in azw6 files. Can this plugin be made to work with those?
I don't know; I don't have a device with old firmware that I could use to get such a file. I've been using K4PC to acquire the files.

Have you tried renaming the file to have a .res extension?
Old 12-12-2022, 06:38 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Have you tried renaming the file to have a .res extension?
I have, but I'm not sure I'm putting files in the right place and have trouble knowing just what happened.

Would you consider adding the ability to run it with:
Code:
calibre-debug -r "AZW6 Image Merge" bookname.azw3
with an optional argument to specify the file with the images?

I looked at the code to try to write a standalone version, but couldn't follow and don't know whether there are calibre dependencies that are necessary for the merging functionality.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I don't know; I don't have a device with old firmware that I could use to get such a file. I've been using K4PC to acquire the files.
Just in case you have access to a kindle with jailbreak, it is possible to fake the firmware version running. (You would need to have updating disabled whenever wifi is on to prevent updating to some lower version than what is running.)

All that is needed to spoof the version is a simple change to /etc/version.txt

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346784

The thread is about actual firmware downgrade, but I have confirmed that with updating disabled, it works for getting azw3+azw6 instead of kfx over wifi. All the functionality of the actual running version continues to work.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:34 AM   #14
djrx
djrx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe (2022)
Would it be possible to update this plugin to support azw3+azw6 files that are downloaded directly onto a Kindle PW1 and extracted from the device?
djrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:21 AM   #15
Rhooo
Rhooo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrx View Post
Would it be possible to update this plugin to support azw3+azw6 files that are downloaded directly onto a Kindle PW1 and extracted from the device?
Seconded. It would be immensely appreciated.
Rhooo is offline   Reply With Quote