Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #46
pfisterfarm
pfisterfarm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
When I first got Acrobat Pro 6.01 installed, I tried the Adobe DRM activator option from the menu, but it didn't do anything at all (not even a message). I went to aractivate.adobe.com, logged in with a Passport account and got some sort of file to open in Acrobat 6.01. That's how I activated it. I haven't seen anything asking to log into that account again.
pfisterfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #47
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisterfarm View Post
When I first got Acrobat Pro 6.01 installed, I tried the Adobe DRM activator option from the menu, but it didn't do anything at all (not even a message). I went to aractivate.adobe.com, logged in with a Passport account and got some sort of file to open in Acrobat 6.01. That's how I activated it. I haven't seen anything asking to log into that account again.
Hmm, and you've never been able to open the files at all? It sounds like they were activated for another account or computer, perhaps. Can you re-download the ebx.etd file and open it in Acrobat 6.0 again?

Also, maybe they fixed this "problem" in Acrobat 6.01. The only one I've tried it with that absolutely works is Acrobat 6.0 Professional, Version 6.0.0, 2003-05-19 (it says that on the splash screen when you go to the "Help ... About Acrobat 6.0" menu).
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #48
pfisterfarm

I'll try it again tonight when I get home.

Actually, it was 6.0.0 that I started out with and upgraded to 6.0.1. The 6.0.0 I was using said some about "invalid encryption" (don't remember the exact message). A post I ran across suggested the 6.0.1 upgrade. It's the only version I've had any success with.

Thanks again for your help...
Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #49
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisterfarm View Post
I'll try it again tonight when I get home.

Actually, it was 6.0.0 that I started out with and upgraded to 6.0.1. The 6.0.0 I was using said some about "invalid encryption" (don't remember the exact message). A post I ran across suggested the 6.0.1 upgrade. It's the only version I've had any success with.

Thanks again for your help...
Hmm, that's very strange. So if I'm understanding right, you haven't EVER been able to open these files, even before you do the hex edit?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #50
pfisterfarm

No, before the hex edit, all is fine. Here is another thing, though... if I try to open the .etd file in Acrobat Pro 6.01, I get an error (last attempt, the error was ImportInfoIDInternal error 112 invalid, repeated dozens of times in one dialog after a dozen dialogs saying the .etd file couldn't be deleted). I can open the .etd file in Acrobat Reader 7.0 and the file will be placed in My Digital Editions. Sometimes the hex edit trick works, and sometimes not. I'm starting to think I've messed me Acrobat 6.01 installation up.

Even after the hex edit, I'm still able to open the file in Reader 7.0, btw...

Last edited by pfisterfarm; 02-23-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #51
ImagineMBE
ImagineMBE began at the beginning.

Device: none
It appears that Adobe has fixed this by disallowing activation of Digital Editions in old Acrobat and Reader versions:
http://adobe.com/go/digitaleditions_kb_act
Also, not that I got far enough to know if it made a difference, it seems they are no longer using .etd files, but .acsd.
...If only I had tried this a week ago...
ImagineMBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #52
chorpler
Zealot

Hmm. Interesting. They claim this is just the shutting down of their older server that Acrobat 6 and 7 use ... but man, this sucks. I hate reading in Digital Editions compared to Acrobat.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #53
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that PDF DRM was broken a few months ago.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:19 AM   #54
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
As far as music was conserned , we had the alternative to get the cd in a shop. So i quitte easily boycotted anything drmised.

With E-books, we have to stand crappy drm... Will this nonsense ever stop ?
My sister bought a pdf, not thinking pdf could be drmised. Too bad, she can't read it at all...

Maybe we shall all boycott any drmised E-books. And make sure the publishers know we're doing that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #55
fumanchu
fumanchu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
As far as music was conserned , we had the alternative to get the cd in a shop. So i quitte easily boycotted anything drmised.

With E-books, we have to stand crappy drm... Will this nonsense ever stop ?
My sister bought a pdf, not thinking pdf could be drmised. Too bad, she can't read it at all...

Maybe we shall all boycott any drmised E-books. And make sure the publishers know we're doing that.
Just wanted to second this. I bought my PRS 505 reader just recently and while I'm very happy with the device, the expirience of buying the first two books was horrible.

I'm a linux user and had to use VMWare to jump through all those useless Adobe Digital Edition hoops. All in all it took me over an hour to get my two paid books on the reader. Next time will likely be quicker because all the nonsense is already in place - but the whole procedure felt only wrong from start to finish.

I'll definately actively look for pirated books from now onwards. Not because I don't want to pay. But simply to support the message to the distributors: Make your DRM-crap bearable or lick my shiny metal ass.

Bearable means: Watermark the hell out of the epub's that you give me for download so I don't spread them on piratebay. But don't limit them otherwise.

I'm paying the price of a physical paperback for your ebooks.
At that price I expect the allowance to copy, edit, print or delete them as much as my little heart desires. Without special software that is only available for chosen platforms. Without feeling like an idiot who just paid full price for an inferior product.
fumanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #56
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
This is a bit late, but see Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented. In the case of reflowable formats (ePub, MOBI etcetera) the typical argument for circumventing DRM is to allow format shifting. In the case of PDF, though, the problem is that Adobe Digital Editions, even when available, is a very feature-poor PDF reader. I much prefer FoxIt, or Adobe Reader 9, or Okular.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #57
jackcrors
jackcrors began at the beginning.

Does that mean the medthod of using acrobat 6 and hex editor has failure?
jackcrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #58
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu View Post
I'm a linux user and had to use VMWare to jump through all those useless Adobe Digital Edition hoops.
Lucky you - the newest Mobipocket reader refuses to install inside a VM. Of course it was the only new feature I found about - so I just use the old one.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #59
yoadobe
yoadobe began at the beginning.

Check out Link removed due to content not allowed in forum.

Currently it only seems to support 32bit Windows machines, but it did successfully remove Digital Editions DRM from a couple of my PDFs.

Last edited by pshrynk; 09-24-2009 at 01:56 PM.
yoadobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #60
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I had to remove the link that yoadobe had posted above, since it links directly to a DRM removal tool, which is against the rules of the forum.

What you do in PMs, is not any of my affair...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote