Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
"Pirating ebooks is an offence against moral justice" says... GoodEreader!?

Okay, so the article is in relation to Sir Philip Pullman. They are reporting on an ebook related issue and that is fine until you hit the end and Mikey editorializes with:

Quote:
I believe that ebook piracy is morally reprehensible. You would not walk into a bookstore or secondhand bookstore and steal a book, because you do not want to pay for it or cannot afford to buy it. The same goes with digital, stealing is stealing. You are fundamentally an amoral person if you engage in theft.
I'm not sure what the treatment of amnesia is, but he really ought to get that checked out.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Incidentally, I don't have too much to quibble with in the article itself. But the fact that they are sending a letter to the government on the heels of the story about the EU wanting to shut down Project Gutenberg gives me the heebie jeebies.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I believe that ebook piracy is morally reprehensible. You would not walk into a bookstore or secondhand bookstore and steal a book, because you do not want to pay for it or cannot afford to buy it. The same goes with digital, stealing is stealing. You are fundamentally an amoral person if you engage in theft.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Incidentally, I don't have too much to quibble with in the article itself. But the fact that they are sending a letter to the government on the heels of the story about the EU wanting to shut down Project Gutenberg gives me the heebie jeebies.
What on Earth makes you believe that the EU wants to shut down PG?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What on Earth makes you believe that the EU wants to shut down PG?
Those nuts over at MobileRead: EU wants IA to take down entire Project Gutenberg archive

Last edited by HarryT; 04-16-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Did you read the thread rather than the wholly incorrect title? It is absolutely not the EU that issued the takedown notice; it was the French government!

Sorry for editing your post - clicked the wrong button .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
As near as I can tell, they only went after IA, not PG or CSPAN directly.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
It's true the French issued this directive, not the EU. But there's background. The EU is moving forward with plans for Internet censorship under two new regulations, the Terrorist Content Regulation and the Copyright Directive. As expected, they supported adoption by using easy non-controversial examples that everyone can get behind. There has been widespread concern about this leading to censorship and not just in US tech companies. Germany had large protests over it. The French eagerly embraced these EU regulations. So the French are the actors in this case, but they are acting based on EU regulations they support, using EU software by the EU agency that will be regulating (censoring) Internet content. So this incident may be an early example of a growing trend.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm not really sure what "an offense against justice" means. Does anyone know?

The article says they're afraid piracy will lead to fewer novels being published. Piracy has been around a long time. I just googled and found there are estimates of 600,000 to 1,000,000 new novels every year. It doesn't seem that piracy is slowing things down.

I'm all for honesty in obtaining books. I'm just as much in favor of honesty in the other direction. I'd love to be able to read descriptions of books on the back cover or on Amazon and be able to believe them. In the approximately 65 years that I've been buying books I've never been able to do that and it's no better now than it was when I was a teen.

I have no problem with shutting down pirate sites. I have no problem with shutting down lying book sellers and publishers.

The article also mentions the high percentage of ebooks on devices that aren't purchased legally. A lot of us make backups of the books we've purchased legally and then read them on our devices. I wonder how that affects those counts. I find it pretty hard to believe that most people have a very high percentage of pirated books.

I don't have a Kindle at hand as I type but I do have a Nook handy. All of the books on it, 561 to be exact, were purchased from Amazon, legally. None were purchased from B&N. If B&N were able to see what is on it now they might very well think they're all pirated books.

On my Kindles I do it a little differently. I'll make a safe backup of a book and send it to my library at Amazon to download to my Kindles. I have a lot of Kindles and Kindle apps and I like to rotate through them. I never read on more than one Kindle and one phone but I'll often switch Kindles so this helps me avoid the limits of 6 devices. I have contacted Amazon about this and they have no problem with it. In fact the last time I contacted them about it the guy said a lot of the Kindle support people do similar things.

This is all legitimate but it would be easy to misinterpret if someone wasn't paying close attention.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
So, this is all based on some online poll with less than 2000 respondents?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #11
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The article also mentions the high percentage of ebooks on devices that aren't purchased legally. A lot of us make backups of the books we've purchased legally and then read them on our devices. I wonder how that affects those counts.
That would be an interesting fact to find out. My process is, buy book (usually from Amazon), strip DRM on the way into Calibre, sideload to my Kindle out of Calibre.

Now, if I go online with my Kindle and Amazon scans what is on it, if they find the book I bought (where I followed the sequence above) and call it "pirated", then their counts are going to be off. Of course, they may call me a pirate for doing the above. But I don't consider that pirating. It's my book that I paid for and I don't want to end up getting screwed again, like B&N did to me.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Gotta love a site that started out by charging money to access pirated books "forgetting" their roots
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That would be an interesting fact to find out. My process is, buy book (usually from Amazon), strip DRM on the way into Calibre, sideload to my Kindle out of Calibre.

Now, if I go online with my Kindle and Amazon scans what is on it, if they find the book I bought (where I followed the sequence above) and call it "pirated", then their counts are going to be off. Of course, they may call me a pirate for doing the above. But I don't consider that pirating. It's my book that I paid for and I don't want to end up getting screwed again, like B&N did to me.
Amazon doesn't consider that pirating. I called them about it a few years ago. I live in a small town and I don't have a car so I depend on Amazon and I worried that they'd shut me down for things like this. So I called their support and asked about it and I was told it was fine.

A couple years later, because of some discussion in this or some other forum, I called them again. This time I got a new support guy who said he'd ask around about it and call me back. He called back the next day and said that not only does no-one at Amazon have a problem with that, a lot of them do it as well.

The specific thing I asked about was removing DRM and sending the book to my library so I could avoid the license limit since I read on a number of devices. They saw nothing wrong with doing that.

That's not to say that this isn't reflected in any statistics they're maintaining such as the ones under discussion here.

Barry
Old 04-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Gotta love a site that started out by charging money to access pirated books "forgetting" their roots
That can be seen either as hypocrassy or as them having learned something as they grew up. It's hard to know which it is.

Barry
Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
That can be seen either as hypocrassy or as them having learned something as they grew up. It's hard to know which it is.

Barry
that's true, but after considering how they have handled their own line of hardware, it is not so hard to decide.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote