Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Doc109
Enthusiast
Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire 2 (non-HD), Kindle Paperwhite
Fire HD Keyboard and Bluetooth Keyboard?

Just wondering if anyone can weigh in regarding two things.
1. Does the Fire HD allow you to switch the on-screen keyboard input? On the 1st gen Fire, one cannot switch to SwiftKey or Swype, which kinda sucks.
2. Has anyone hooked up a Bluetooth Keyboard to Fire HD and if so, was it simple/were there any quirks?

Thanks.
Doc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc109 View Post
Just wondering if anyone can weigh in regarding two things.
1. Does the Fire HD allow you to switch the on-screen keyboard input? On the 1st gen Fire, one cannot switch to SwiftKey or Swype, which kinda sucks.
2. Has anyone hooked up a Bluetooth Keyboard to Fire HD and if so, was it simple/were there any quirks?

Thanks.
I wondered the same thing. I noticed that the Fire HD supports blue tooth and I've seen other tablets based on Android with keyboards integrated into covers and wondered if the Fire can do this too.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Just saw this item on Amazon, which is a case with a built-in keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Keyb...oard+bluetooth

Funny, though, since it looks like an original Fire in the picture, which wouldn't work with the keyboard. (Edited to say: looking at the image again, it might be a pasted on HD screen over some generic tablet. The Bezel on the bottom doesn't look long enough for the HD, and there's no sign of the camera).

The amazonbasics one looks nice, but of only 2 reviewers who used it with the HD, one couldn't get it to work: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-B...oard+bluetooth

Last edited by nprentiss; 09-23-2012 at 07:58 PM.
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Doc109
Enthusiast
Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire 2 (non-HD), Kindle Paperwhite
I've seen a couple reviewers mention that they planned to use the HD with a keyboard but the reviews of the keyboard are the first I've seen on the topic that involve actual use of a BT keyboard with the HD.

I've also got a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 and I use SwiftKey on it, making text entry a lot easier. It appears that the HD, like the original Fire, does not allow 3rd party keyboard input, which I really hate. SwiftKey trounces Amazon's keyboard. I don't know why Amazon does this. Only theory that I have, and I admit this might be crazy, is perhaps all of our typing is logged by Amazon to help them gather market data or target ads or something. I'm probably nuts for even considering this, but I can't think of any sane reason to block 3rd party keyboard input.
Doc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Just ordered the crazy chicken one. If it works great, and if not well bad review and a return. The Fire Hd's keys are spaced to close for my fat fingers. And any larger keyboard would be welcome.

I feel that amazon will not lock out other keyboards. They would only be cutting their own throats. Plus CC usually sells some good stuff.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
No option for alternate virtual keyboards, folks. Sorry.

As for bluetooth keyboards I've done quite a bit of testing with both the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable Keyboard. They each work quite well. However, there is a problem.

If wifi is on (as it inevitably will be if you're typing text on a website), each keyboard is prone to a repetitive keystroke problem (i.e. type "x" and get "xxxxxxxx".) The problem is known to Amazon and they're working on a fix. Hopefully in the next few weeks when several bug fixes and the "FreeTime" update will be pushed out.

Other than that problem, however, the keyboards work quite well with word processing (OfficeSuite Professional) and note taking apps.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Has anyone tried a wired keyboard using an OTG adapter?

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Received My Ionic Bluetooth keyboard case today, mater of fact I am using it right now in this post. So far, so good, the keyboard is held in place by four magnets on each corner in the case and that is enough to hold it in place when using it. Or it can be detached and held in the hands or use it on the lap. It is surprisingly light.

The keyboard is larger than the KFHD overall and the key spacings sure beat the touch screen keyboard. So far I have not had any key repeating that has been reported, but it is still early and time will tell.

The whole package is larger and bulkier than the standard KFHD case but not bad at all
and leather everywhere, even the keyboard is covered front and back with it.

I have tested the keyboard with my laptop and that works great also.

Again, so far so good!

Edit: This case has the magnets that also wakes up or puts to sleep the kindle when the cover is opened and closed. So far I have found 8.

4 to hold the keyboard in place, two to hold the built in stand closed, and two on the top/lid to wake up or put to sleep when opened or closed.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-18-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Received My Ionic Bluetooth keyboard case today, mater of fact I am using it right now in this post. So far, so good,
Sounds good. Please update progress as you use it more. Sounds very interesting. I'd like to know if the key-repeating issues are addressed (or show up). Also, does it have re-chargeable batteries (USB)?
Thanks!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Sounds good. Please update progress as you use it more. Sounds very interesting. I'd like to know if the key-repeating issues are addressed (or show up). Also, does it have re-chargeable batteries (USB)?
Thanks!
Yes on the rechargable batterys, the unit does not come with a wall wart, but it does have a usb cable for recharging.

I like the versatility, I may not even use the ionic case at all, I have a ballistic carrying case that is 6" x 11" that the keyboard fits in, with my kindle travel kit, (wall and car charger, headphone set, etc, etc..) Plus the amazon leather case fits in it also (tight). This makes up a complete system. Unless I add exterior speakers, and that is not very likely.

The keyboard is 6" x 8 3/4" x 1/4" overall and the working keyboard itself is 3 1/4" x 8" x 1/4" thick. It has 80 keys.

It will take some time to see what keys work with the fire hd, but all of the major ones do...The other keys I need to test with my laptop, I mean the secondary keys, all of the major function keys work with the laptop.

So far I am thinking, it was a good buy..But again time will tell!

So far no key repeats..

Ok got some but not bad, the bigger problem is the keys are still scrunched up together, but not near as bad as the touch screen one or as sensitive.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #11
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Thanks for the info!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:00 AM   #12
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
No option for alternate virtual keyboards, folks. Sorry.

As for bluetooth keyboards I've done quite a bit of testing with both the Apple Wireless Keyboard and the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable Keyboard. They each work quite well. However, there is a problem.

If wifi is on (as it inevitably will be if you're typing text on a website), each keyboard is prone to a repetitive keystroke problem (i.e. type "x" and get "xxxxxxxx".) The problem is known to Amazon and they're working on a fix. Hopefully in the next few weeks when several bug fixes and the "FreeTime" update will be pushed out.

Other than that problem, however, the keyboards work quite well with word processing (OfficeSuite Professional) and note taking apps.

That key-repeat problem is very much to the fore with even the Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Tab with its OWN bluetooth keyboards. The cursor is jumpy too.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
That key-repeat problem is very much to the fore with even the Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Tab with its OWN bluetooth keyboards. The cursor is jumpy too.
Happy to report that the key-repeat problem on the KFHD has been fixed with the 7.2.1 software update. Both my Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard and my Apple Wireless Keyboard work perfectly even when wif is on. (That was the trigger for the key repeat problem on the KFHD.)

Now if Amazon would fix the VERY ANNOYING zombie carousel item bug!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Now if Amazon would fix the VERY ANNOYING zombie carousel item bug!
This is the season for zombies, but what are you referring about in the carousel? The items that appear in the carousel (apps) that should not be in it, because they have not been used for a while?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
jsh1120
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
This is the season for zombies, but what are you referring about in the carousel? The items that appear in the carousel (apps) that should not be in it, because they have not been used for a while?
Although the problem seems to vary in severity, the bug is that if you remove items from the Carousel, they reappear. Although the Carousel is supposed to include only the items you have accessed (in order from most recent) items (books, apps, etc.) that a user has NEVER accessed appear. Remove them and they reappear. Sometimes immediately, sometimes after a short delay, sometimes after syncing, and almost always after rebooting the device.

After putting up with this obvious and very annoying bug since day one, I was hopeful that the fix Amazon has promised since it was first reported would be included in the 7.2.1 update. It wasn't as I discovered after laboriously removing over 50 (!) items from the damn Carousel, one by one.

I'm a fan of the Kindle Fires and a "pro" on the Amazon website Kindle Forum but I have to say that it is APPALLING that such an obvious bug in the main UI ever managed to get through product testing, especially after Amazon finally implemented the ability to remove items from the Carousel after a chorus of complaints for several months about the first generation Kindle Fire.

Rant over.

Tags
bluetooth, keyboard, kindle fire hd