Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Daewoo
Daewoo began at the beginning.

Device: EZreader
5" EZreader frozen screen

I just bought a 5" EZ reader from Newegg. It arrived on thursday, left it on charger until friday.

It worked GREAT....until about 2 hours ago. Now it will not turn the page. The screen is frozen on the same page. I tried the reset and it did not do any good. I pulled the battery, let is sit for a few minutes, put it back in, still no good.

If I connect it to the computer via the USB cable, wait for about 10 seconds, then hit the round button that you use to select connect to the computer, the device DOES connect to the computer and show up as 2 drives (one is the internal memory, one is the SD card) so it apparently IS doing something....the screen is just frozen.

Anybody have any ideas??
Daewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewoo View Post
I just bought a 5" EZ reader from Newegg. It arrived on thursday, left it on charger until friday.

It worked GREAT....until about 2 hours ago. Now it will not turn the page. The screen is frozen on the same page. I tried the reset and it did not do any good. I pulled the battery, let is sit for a few minutes, put it back in, still no good.

If I connect it to the computer via the USB cable, wait for about 10 seconds, then hit the round button that you use to select connect to the computer, the device DOES connect to the computer and show up as 2 drives (one is the internal memory, one is the SD card) so it apparently IS doing something....the screen is just frozen.

Anybody have any ideas??
Are you using an SD Card? Remove it and charge for 8 hours. There have been reports of a few SD card models not sleeping properly and devouring the battery

Did you Flash update to recent Firmware? Do so after doing a full 8 hour charge.
It may take a few charge cycles to settle down. The first one took 12 Hours before I got the "Plug" symbol.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Daewoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are you using an SD Card? Remove it and charge for 8 hours. There have been reports of a few SD card models not sleeping properly and devouring the battery

Did you Flash update to recent Firmware? Do so after doing a full 8 hour charge.
It may take a few charge cycles to settle down. The first one took 12 Hours before I got the "Plug" symbol.
Thanks!

I am using the SD card that came with the unit. I will pull it out and put it on the charger overnight and see if that makes a difference.

Can I flash the firmware with it frozen like that?? Obviously it is still functioning correctly in the background (since it will connect to the computer) but are there any on screen prompts that I will need to be able to see?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks!

I am using the SD card that came with the unit. I will pull it out and put it on the charger overnight and see if that makes a difference.

Can I flash the firmware with it frozen like that?? Obviously it is still functioning correctly in the background (since it will connect to the computer) but are there any on screen prompts that I will need to be able to see?
After charging,
Try a long press on the reset button (> 10 sec).

You can't flash if you can not get the boot screen
Not sure what SD Card Newegg supplied. I would expect reasonable, so if the card is a problem, it may have failed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Daewoo

I charged it overnight with the SD card out, reset it, and it is still stuck on the same page.

I am thinking it is probably some kind of hardware failure.

Now I am trying to decide whether to do an RMA at newegg or get with customer service at Astak. I am shooting for "quickest turnaround" since I was really enjoying the thing before it croaked.

Has anybody had any experience with Astak support as far as getting a unit replaced? How quick are they?
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Smile Most feel we are very quick.

Quote:
I charged it overnight with the SD card out, reset it, and it is still stuck on the same page.

I am thinking it is probably some kind of hardware failure.

Now I am trying to decide whether to do an RMA at newegg or get with customer service at Astak. I am shooting for "quickest turnaround" since I was really enjoying the thing before it croaked.

Has anybody had any experience with Astak support as far as getting a unit replaced? How quick are they?
Dear Daewoo:

I work for Astak and just got back from a huge conference. Otherwise I would have responded sooner.

Have you tried contacting Astak at: 1-866-368-8788 (M-F, 9:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. PDT) or sending an email to: support@astak.com. That is the fastest way. Let us provide some steps to take to ascertain the problem and get you up and running. It could be a bad battery OR you could think you are charging and are not.

Please first try going to: www.theEZreader.com/html and looking for our FAQ sheet under "support". That will tell you what you should see when you charge. If you are indeed seeing the proper "plug" icon and the flashing red/orange light and such... then we can eliminate some of the possibilities.

Astak has a rather incredibly good reputation for fast and honest Tech Support. Let us try to get things right. Do not worry.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote