Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
odklizec
odklizec began at the beginning.

iSilo for iPhone - any other users here?

Hi folks,

After many years with various JAVA/Symbian powered devices, I finally joined the iPhone camp

I tried Bookshelf (which was my hot favorite), Stanza, and eReader, but I finally ended up with iSilo. In not so distant past, I owned its UIQ3 version and I found the iPhone version to be the best ereader for my needs. It seems it's equipped with easiest way of sharing and downloading books via the web server.

Other readers offer uploading books via their desktop apps, but I found this access somewhat limiting when I'm on the way. Not to mention that I really don't want or need to convert entire my collection consisting of various ebook formats to just single one.

So I decided to put all my books on my web server, secure the folder with name/password access and it works like a charm with iSilo. I can access the collection with built-in web browser, go through books and subfolders and simply select and download book I just want to read. It works flawlessly even with quite large files (just tried 18MB PDF).

So far, I'm very satisfied with iSilo. It's not the cheapest reader on the app store, but it's very good and in many aspects better than some other free or even paid readers.
odklizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
bruceathome
smartphone addict
bruceathome began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone - moving to android soon
Hi. I use iSilo exclusively for reading ebooks on my iPhone. It took me a while to get the hang of it because it is so customisable and has a few quirks, however I've got it set up exactly as I like. iSiloX, which is used to convert files into the isilo format is also excellent.

I started off using it directly with html and txt files, however it works much better with the isilo pdb files. Searching within books is VERY fast. Much faster than with the other ebook readers that I've tried - in fact I think this is one of the main reasons I like this reader.

It offers multiple ways to get ebooks onto the device, including running its own webdav (I think thats the term) which means you can map the iphone as a network drive and access folders on it. You can also download files from a web server.

iSiloX also enables you to download websites as isilo files. I am getting into astronomy so downloaded the whole messier catalogue including pictures from a web site, loaded the resulting pdb file into isilo on my iphone, and can quickly and easily access the info.

A big feature that it is missing, however, is the ability to purchase books directly from an ebook store.

And no, I don't work for iSilo - I just really like the software.

And by the way, I'm intending on moving to an HTC hero (an android phone). I'm pretty sure that isilo is available for android as well
bruceathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
erwilde
erwilde began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I have an Iphone and installed Isilo on the phone. How do I add pdb files for reading on isilo?
erwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
What are the navigation options for turning pages in iSilo?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Wow, I'm about to get an HTC Hero and I'm so happy to see that iSilo is available for that format too! I used it for years on my old Palm Tungsten E and loved it. Glad to see that others are still dedicated to it too.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
What didn't you like about Stanza?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
JoeDuran
JoeDuran began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
How to upload or transfer pdb (isilo files) from my PC into my Iphone

I would appreciate to know what to do to transfer pdb files (Isilo format) into my Iphone. As I said before, it's a big mess, and I'm still confused. It´s a pitty that Apple would make things so complicated, having such a nice device. As the Bealtes used to say "Won´t you please help me, help me"""""
I'm in the dark.
JoeDuran is offline   Reply With Quote