Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
xpmedia
xpmedia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
ADE 3.0 on win7 64bit

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if anyone still read epub books on desktop machine, but i need to do this from time to time.

Now I've installed the lastest (prob not greatest) Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 on my win7 enterprise 64bit machine, the problem is that when i double click on any .epub book, it won't use ADE 3.0 to open it. Even if I right click an epub file and select "open with" from the context menu, then browse to the ADE 3.0 exe, it won't run it to open the epub file.

(I tried the same on a 32bit win7 machine, and it worked fine there.)

First thing i noticed is that the binaries are installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions 3.0\DigitalEditions.exe, so it looks like the lazy folks at adobe didn't build a 64bit version program (it's free, they dont get paid, i can understand). But why the heck it won't allow me to use the program to open epub files?

If i just run ade 3.0, it can start, and if i add a epub file to the library of ade, then i will be able to open it. But i just can't double-click an epub file and get it to open right away in ade 3.0. I thought this is pretty standard stuff on windows, isnt it?

would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this mystery.

P.S, i just downloaded calibre 1.4.4 and installed it, which is also a 32bit app, and installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2.

and voila, when i double clicked the same epub file, it opened right away in calibre reader.
All i can guess is that the dumb devs at adobe didn't bother to test it on win7 64bit.

Never been a fan of adobe cr*p, but something this stupid is a bit of a shocker.

Last edited by xpmedia; 07-15-2014 at 08:18 PM.
xpmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
On my machine, windows 7 64 bit, it will open with by a right click after I browse to find it. I unchecked the box to open it with ADE since I don't want it to, but it did open it and when I tried to exit, it asked if I wanted to put it in the library.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
xpmedia
xpmedia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
when I tried to exit, it asked if I wanted to put it in the library.
This is another stupid behavior of ADE. On the win7 32bit machine where i could open epub files by double-clicking them, upon closing, ADE would ask me the same stupid question every time, even after i have ticked the checkbox "don't ask this again" (or something similar).

Overall, i'd say ADE is a broken peice of sh*t.
xpmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, yes, it is.

Doesn't mean we don't have to use it if we want to get non-Amazon DRMed books...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:38 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Doesn't mean we don't have to use it if we want to get non-Amazon DRMed books...
The BlueFire Windows reader will work for that too, as will the Sony Desktop software if it's still around for download. (or course both are based on the RMSDK/ADE on one level)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The BlueFire Windows reader will work for that too, as will the Sony Desktop software if it's still around for download. (or course both are based on the RMSDK/ADE on one level)
Precisely.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpmedia View Post
This is another stupid behavior of ADE. On the win7 32bit machine where i could open epub files by double-clicking them, upon closing, ADE would ask me the same stupid question every time, even after i have ticked the checkbox "don't ask this again" (or something similar).
But, Bluefire will automatically add your ePub to it's library and eventually, you'll be seeing your free disk space drop and startup time drop as it has to read the ever growing library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote