Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Piracy things. Totally anonymous.
I knew someone who downloaded a book for free in order to sample before buying. (Dark Net Library.) 73 36.32%
I knew someone who removed DRM from a book they bought, though DRM-removal was prohibited in their area. (DRM-Removal.) 137 68.16%
I knew someone who downloaded a book that they already owned in paper format. (Format-shifting.) 129 64.18%
I knew someone who downloaded a book because the book didn't legally exist in electronic form. (Unavailability.) 120 59.70%
I knew someone who downloaded a book because the book couldn't be legally bought in their area. (Geo-restrictions.) 79 39.30%
I knew someone who bought an e-book and then shared the book with a friend or family member. (Social Sharing.) 101 50.25%
I know someone who downloaded a book for other reasons not listed. 87 43.28%
I've never known anyone to illegally download a book. 19 9.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
An anonymous piracy poll.

Not a simple yes/no because binary is only useful in programming.

Last edited by anamardoll; 01-30-2012 at 06:29 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Having had discussions with new hires just out of college and kids just graduating from high school I was appalled at the general opinion about copyright. I expect copyright to be dead in 20 years or less. None of the young people I've talked to have any respect for copyright at all.
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
It is very interesting that the last option (never known anyone) still has 0 votes. That says more than the other results, IMHO.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I noticed that, too......
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
SWIM appreciates your poll.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I've never known anyone to illegally download a book because downloading a book is not illegal.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I've never known anyone to illegally download a book because downloading a book is not illegal.
That is stretching it a little bit. The illegality is meant in the book not in the act, even though technically and gramatically it says wrongly so in the poll. Now can you please give me a brain-untwisterer. Even just reading it trying to understand it becomes harder the more often you read it. Try to negate it real quick - maybe you can in a jiffy, but I sure cant.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd say that most of, if not all of the people I know that have ereaders fall under multiple choices up there, save for the geo-restricted ones.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
Having had discussions with new hires just out of college and kids just graduating from high school I was appalled at the general opinion about copyright. I expect copyright to be dead in 20 years or less. None of the young people I've talked to have any respect for copyright at all.
When I was college age, I knew plenty of people who would record cassette copies from their friends' LPs and cassettes. That was 30 years ago. And one of the most prolific ebook pirates I know is in his 50s, and uses the excuse that he can't afford to pay for them.

I don't expect that copyright will go away completely, if for no other reason that copyright protects people and/or companies from outright appropriation from other companies. Even though the RIAA/MPAAfia is using the courts to make examples of a few file sharers, most of them don't have the deep pockets of a corporate violator.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'd say that most of, if not all of the people I know that have ereaders fall under multiple choices up there, save for the geo-restricted ones.
Same here. I ticked every box, except the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
When I was college age, I knew plenty of people who would record cassette copies from their friends' LPs and cassettes. That was 30 years ago.
Exactly. I can't see that attitudes towards copyright has changed at all in those years. The only thing which has changed is the ease with which things can be appropriated and therefore also the volume of media being copied/pirated.

When I was in my teens, my friends copied those of my LPs and cassettes they didn't have themselves and I in turn did the same. We probably spent as much on blank tapes as we did on pre-recorded music. I can't remember ever having given copyright so much as a thought back then, nor ever having heard any of my mates mention it.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
When I was in my teens, my friends copied those of my LPs and cassettes they didn't have themselves and I in turn did the same. We probably spent as much on blank tapes as we did on pre-recorded music. I can't remember ever having given copyright so much as a thought back then, nor ever having heard any of my mates mention it.
That was all analog shit, nobody cared. The digital is instantaneously everywhere.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #12
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
So? The point I made was in regards to attitudes now and then.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
So? The point I made was in regards to attitudes now and then.
What are attitudes? And how are they shaped? By the environment in part, either analog or digital.

In effect we aren't really copying/pirating anything, we are simply transferring the same idea back and forth, I mean the exact same bits. Now that we can all access the same text at the same time, there's a large volume of discourse on the nature of copyright and what it means, when in actuality it no longer means anything. Interesting to say the least.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 AM   #14
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
People might not care about copyright laws, but it yet hasn't moved to where they see need to actively try to change them. Depending on where things go it might come. It's still a thing were few get caugth so it's not immediate issue for masses...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
People might not care about copyright laws, but it yet hasn't moved to where they see need to actively try to change them. Depending on where things go it might come. It's still a thing were few get caugth so it's not immediate issue for masses...
It is going to stay like that that only a few get caught. If there was so many to worry about that it is unfeasable they might as well write it off under "fair use". If they take one pirate down that distributes stuff, there could be millions others beeing able to step in. Doesn't really take special equipment or knowledge to do copyright infringement any more these days, does it?

Edit: Was talking about uploading there, not downloading. If they pass a law that downloading pirated stuff becomes illegal that would be interesting to see how they try to enforce that ...

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.