Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
EricBr
EricBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Book Title from filename

Is there a tool that will extract the book title from an .azw file?

What I am looking for is a command-line tool that will allow me to specify the name of the file and have it output the title of the book.

The reason for this is that when a book is "sent" to Kindle for PC, the filename is something similar to "B018B50737_EBOK.azw", and I want to rename the file to the actual filename.

Thanks,

Eric
EricBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You might just look at the first line in the file with more for example and see if this helps. Generally there is a title there. Just ignore the binary parts.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
dilo_sec
dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dilo_sec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3
If you are comfortable running python code, I have code obtained here which I have modified for my own purposes - I've reduced it down to only display book titles. Run attached exthtitle.py from a folder of your choice, and it dumps the booktitles of all .azw and .mobi files found in that folder and all subfolders. You are free to hack/amend the code to your own requirements.
Attached Files
File Type: zip exthtitle.zip (1.5 KB, 218 views)
dilo_sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
EricBr
EricBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks guys.

DaleDe: I'll take a look at the first line of the file and see what I can see.
dilo_sec: Thanks for the code... I have not played with Python, but will see if I can't work out what it is doing.

EricB
EricBr is offline   Reply With Quote