Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #466
fry@pocketbook
fry@pocketbook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
Upgrade: Kindle DXG 2.5.8 -> 3.2.1 works

positive:
+ new features
+ highlight and notice in pdf
+ better contrast in pdf
+ faster browser

negative:
- (slide two times power to start from screensaver) thats not right, it takes only longer than normal
- bad mp3 sound with kindle orignal player AND mplayer

also installed screensaver hack and launchpad...no problem

Last edited by fry@pocketbook; 01-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.
fry@pocketbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #467
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2c19v View Post
I'm running software version 3.1 (558700031) on my DXG, and I don't get any page numbers on books that I know to have page numbers (I've verified this through Kindle for PC and my wife's K3). I even tried de-registering my DXG, re-registering, deleting the book in question and re-downloading it. Still, only location numbers, no page numbers. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
I know what is going wrong. Even if your kindle has 3.x firmware amazon still thinks it is 2.x series as your kindle serial number belongs to a kindle dxg. so any book you download from amazon won't have page numbers as amazon won't send the necessary .apnx file. Calibre gives automatic page numbers by creating a .apnx file if you transfer your .mobis through it but i don't know if it is in anyway possible to use original amazon page numbers. You might swap the necessary .apnx file from a kindle 3 but i don't know if it works.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #468
TenaciousB
TenaciousB began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2c19v View Post
I have that problem even with a DXG running 3.1. It's weird though... most of the time I can get it to highlight the chunk I want, but sometimes the highlight gets placed a few lines off. It seems to depend on the formatting of the page.
Hmm...well, if there's no way to fix it, hopefully Duokan will do the job eventually.
TenaciousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #469
rbarham
rbarham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am having difficulty updating my Kindle 2 from 2.5.8 to 3.1. My Kindle 2 is jailbroken (verified because both the font and screensaver hacks work) and is the US version.

Every time I copy over the 3.1 firmware and try to update, it goes about a quarter of the way and throws up an 0003 error. I have copied over everything on my Kindle and wiped it so it shouldn't be a free space issue. I have looked through this thread but haven't figured out a way to do it. Would anyone be willing to help me?
rbarham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #470
Tony21
Tony21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hi guys i just registered, but i follow this useful thread (and forum) from a while. First of all, i'm not english, so please forgive me my bad written language.
I installed the 3.2.1 fw on my DXG and i read the page 24 about the hack for active content, but i can't ssh to my device: i have installed the fw, then the usbnetwork 0.35 for DXG, i written the correct ip address of my pc, buf when i write ;debugOn and then ~usbNetwork the pc still read the Kindle as an external USB drive, is anyone able (and willing to) help a newbie user like me?
Thanks
Tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #471
fry@pocketbook
fry@pocketbook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
@Tony21

i have the same problem...but i can start usbnetwork with launchpad

Code:
[Actions]

## Launch usbnetwork
Shift N = !/test/bin/usbnetwork
fry@pocketbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #472
rbarham
rbarham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Ok, I left my Kindle running Yifanlu's update overnight and this is the only .log file I have:

make-image.log:

ota_install: I def:make-image::checking for enough free space to continue
ota_install: I def:make-image::skipping file validity checks
ota_install: I def:make-image::making rootfs image, this may take up to 20 minutes
system: I 0-make-image.ffs:def:drawing: eips 31 38 "Creating image..."

It made a rootfs.img of 44 MB after 8 hours. I didn't let it continue and reset the Kindle since I thought it should have been finished by then.

The same thing happened with the other version of the prepare_kindle.bin floating around, only it got up to a 227 MB file before stopping.

My Kindle is the US version, is jailbroken, and I'm using the correct .bin file to update. Am I missing something here?
rbarham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #473
Tony21
Tony21 began at the beginning.

@fry@pocketbook

Thanks i'll try!

Edit: Unfortunately it doesn't work, but it doesn't even work when i rename the "DISABLED_auto" file, i tried to uninstall usbnetwork and launchpad and then i reinstalled the dxg jailbreak and usbnetwork, but it still don't work...

Last edited by Tony21; 01-19-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #474
jlgomezle
jlgomezle began at the beginning.

Hi everyone.
I recently bought DXG and I can´t believe it doesn´t allow notes and highlights.

Looking in internet for a way to solve the issue I found this amazing forum, I tried to follow the instructions but I couldn´t find out the way to create the updater for a host kindle 3.3....
I read that some of you manage to solve it but I don´t know how to use the files of kindleupdater_source.zip, so to create a package, use Use Kindle_update_tool.py, etc.

Please if someone can help me with this, or indicate me where I can find out how to use these files I will be very thankful.

Thanks very much for your valuable help
jlgomezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #475
deagol
deagol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Here are the files you need to generate the update package if you k3 is already on version 3.3.

I'm pretty sure they will work, but I've done only some minimal testing with these files.
(On my k3 the new create_updater successfully generated an "update_dx-update-os.bin")

USE AT OWN RISK!

How to use:
  1. Add the following to the whitelist (<k3 root>/linkjail/etc/whitelist) of the jailbreak on the k3 host:
    Code:
    update_k3-3.3-create_updater
    update_k3g-3.3-create_updater
    update_k3w-3.3-create_updater
    !! If you are using windows you may have to use wordpad to edit the file !!
  2. Use the "create_updater" file provided here instead of the original

The file "src-3.3.patch.gz" are the changes I've made to the src from here: http://yifan.lu/p/kindleupdater/
(That does not fix the directory names for "kindles/create_updater*, but since these dirs are empty it has no impact at all)

The source patch also fixes two minor issues in "create_packages.sh".
  1. using bash instead of sh, since the scrip did not work with sh on my ubuntu system
  2. replaced TMP with TEMP, so the script runs for non-root users (No longer writing/reading a file to/from "/".)
Attached Files
File Type: bin update_k3-3.3-create_updater.bin (208.3 KB, 554 views)
File Type: bin update_k3g-3.3-create_updater.bin (208.3 KB, 577 views)
File Type: bin update_k3w-3.3-create_updater.bin (208.3 KB, 570 views)
File Type: gz src-3.3.patch.gz (637 Bytes, 626 views)

Last edited by deagol; 02-15-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: fixed link
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #476
finrind
finrind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,
I'm thinking of running this update, but I only have a KSO to get the software from. Is it going to show ads on my kindle DX if I install the image from it?
Thanks in advance for your help!
finrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #477
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
no, it won't. I am pretty sure. The info about your kindle being ads or non-ads version is saved on the server side, and there is no ad-enabled kindle DXG so you are safe.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #478
alex2345
alex2345 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & 3
To deagol:
Sorry for stupid question: are these updates for KDX or for K3 only?
alex2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #479
deagol
deagol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2345 View Post
are these updates for KDX or for K3 only?
Not sure if I get the question...

In fact these are no software update files at all. They are needed to generate a software upgrade package for k2/dx if you have a k3 kindle running 3.3. They are replacment files for Part 2 of yifanlu manual:
Code:
PART 2 - Creating the update

1) Copy the correct create_updater update file to the root of the USB drive of your host. Make sure to select both the correct model and the correct version. If your version is not listed, please upgrade the host.
        k3 = Kindle 3 Wifi + 3G US & Canada
        k3g = Kindle 3 Wifi + 3G Elsewhere
        k3w = Kindle 3 Wifi
2) Copy the "rootfs.img" file you obtained from the "output" folder of the client to the root of the USB drive of your host.
3) Run the update from the Settings menu.
4) After the update process is done, copy the "output" folder to your computer and keep it safe so you can always update to 3.X on the client even if you decide to restore in the future.
For Part 1 you use the normal files.

The package from yifanlu is used to generate a restore package for a k2/dx, which will "restore" the k2/DX to a (normally unavailable) 3.x version. (Of course you need a k3 kindle running the 3.x version as "source".)

Now all I've done to yifanlu's package was extending the version it will create a "restore" package for and upload the needed files for that here. It can be used update a k2/dx kindle to 3.x, if you only have a k3 with 3.3 running on it.

If you already have a 3.x version on your k2/DX kindle that's probably not what you want.

That said you can of course also update your k3 to 3.3 and create a new "restore" package with my files, at least if you still have the rootfs.img created during the initial upgrade to 3.x.
That would also install the 3.3 version on your k2/dx kindle. But it would "restore" the device - including a factory reset - to 3.3, not update it.

Hope that answers the question...
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #480
Right Lane Cruis
Right Lane Cruis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Out of curiosity, would the restore format the storage in the device, too? I was wondering if that might make the root larger (so that the all the TTS files would fit, for example).
Right Lane Cruis is offline   Reply With Quote