Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
TheCakeIsNaOH
TheCakeIsNaOH began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
Calibre viewer does not display epubs

Running Calibre 3.39.1 on Windows 10.

When I try to open an epub in the Caliber viewer, the viewer opens but it only shows white and no text. This happens for every epub in my library. I tried a reset to default preferences in the viewer to no effect.

The epubs all open and display normally in other viewers. They also open normally in the Calibre ebook editor.

Let me know if there is anything I can try. Thanks.
TheCakeIsNaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not certain is this applies since the reset may remove it but is there a user stylesheet associated with viewer?

edit: never mind, I checked and the user stylesheet is removed. One question is if you change the background color, does that change apply?

Last edited by DNSB; 02-11-2019 at 11:26 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
TheCakeIsNaOH

Changing the background color does apply. I also checked the text color and it is black.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeIsNaOH View Post
Changing the background color does apply. I also checked the text color and it is black.
Try running the viewer directly from C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-viewer.exe and opening an epub via the file open button (3rd button)?

If that doesn't work, try installing calibre portable somewhere, and see if you can read the Quick Start Guide.

And let us know what happens of course

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
TheCakeIsNaOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Try running the viewer directly from C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-viewer.exe and opening an epub via the file open button (3rd button)?
I tried that, no change.

Quote:
If that doesn't work, try installing calibre portable somewhere, and see if you can read the Quick Start Guide.
The current portable version still does not work. I went back and tried with older portable versions, 3.5.0 and older work, 3.6.0 and newer do not. I am still testing.

Edit, all Calibre versions tested working in a Windows 10 1809 VM and in a Windows 10 1803 so this is probably a windows configuration problem.

Last edited by TheCakeIsNaOH; 02-11-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Advert
Old 02-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried that, no change.
Didn't expect it to work, but thought it was worth a try

Quote:
The current portable version still does not work. I went back and tried with older portable versions, 3.5.0 and older work, 3.6.0 and newer do not. I am still testing.

Edit, all Calibre versions tested working in a Windows 10 1809 VM and in a Windows 10 1803 so this is probably a windows configuration problem.
If its OK in 1809 and 1803, in what version of Windows doesn't it work?

I'm guessing an Insider Preview version.

- what sort of monitor setup do you have?

BR
Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
TheCakeIsNaOH

Quote:
Didn't expect it to work, but thought it was worth a try

If its OK in 1809 and 1803, in what version of Windows doesn't it work?

I'm guessing an Insider Preview version.

- what sort of monitor setup do you have?

BR
It is actually 1809. So it works in both an 1809 VM and an 1809 laptop, but not on my 1809 desktop. So I assume that is it some sort of incompatibility with another program I have installed or windows config problems since both portable and installed versions are not working on that desktop in particular.

I have dual monitors, so yes playing with that is something I will try.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
does the text show up if you drag to select?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
It is actually 1809. So it works in both an 1809 VM and an 1809 laptop, but not on my 1809 desktop. So I assume that is it some sort of incompatibility with another program I have installed or windows config problems since both portable and installed versions are not working on that desktop in particular.

I have dual monitors, so yes playing with that is something I will try.
Another thing to try would be to boot up in Safe Mode - that would eliminate most 3rd party applets, hopefully Winkey+R, msconfig, Enter still works on 1809.

BR
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
TheCakeIsNaOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
does the text show up if you drag to select?
No

Also using a single monitor does not change behavior. Neither does safe mode.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
TheCakeIsNaOH

I just fixed it.

The Liberation fonts were broken, I uninstalled and then re-installed LibreOffice to fix them. I did not expect that because I have not been having font issues elsewhere.

Thank you, everyone, for your time.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Thanks for the feedback on the problem resolution.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I just fixed it.

The Liberation fonts were broken, I uninstalled and then re-installed LibreOffice to fix them. I did not expect that because I have not been having font issues elsewhere.

Thank you, everyone, for your time.
I think Calibre GUI (and maybe the viewer) defaults to Liberation.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

↑ ↑ ↑

Half right, on Windows the Calibre GUI defaults to Segoe UI (9Pt), but the viewer does default to Liberation.

If the font was 'broken' I'm surprised the viewer didn't detect it and throw an error and/or revert to an alternative font.

BR