Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2019, 03:26 AM   #16
mathieulh
mathieulh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma 32GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
My One gave up the ghost a bare month before the Forma was available, so I was unable to do a side by side comparison, but I love it, it is so light, the light is much better then the One's and when I go back to Clara while the Forma charges, I'm always trying for buttons. My only problem with the Forma is the battery: I have to charge it at least once a day. But then, I read hours at a time, especially at night.
I read hours at a time daily and I only have to charge my Forma once every 3 weeks or so. Perhaps your light settings is too high or you don't have it on flight mode?
mathieulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:34 AM   #17
mathieulh
mathieulh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma 32GB
I upgraded from the Aura One to the Forma as soon as it came out, I've been only using the Forma ever since. Beforethen I used the Aura One at home and the Kindle Oasis 2 on the go, the Forma is just the best of both worlds to me.
mathieulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 AM   #18
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieulh View Post
I read hours at a time daily and I only have to charge my Forma once every 3 weeks or so. Perhaps your light settings is too high or you don't have it on flight mode?
I always have the wi-fi turned off, except once in a blue moon when I update Pocket, but I do like the light setting high during the day, and the comfort light on at night, which I understand is a drain on charge too.
I wouldn't be comfortable reading otherwise, but I've always done likewise for my other devices, and only had a similar problem with the One.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #19
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoanohn View Post
Can you use the page turn buttons in the tub or the sauna?
I'd be careful about the sauna thing, the max operating temp is 113F
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #20
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoanohn View Post
Can you use the page turn buttons in the tub or the sauna?
I'd be careful about the sauna thing, the max operating temp is 113F. Likely, the most that would happen is that it would turn off but that heat isn't good.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #21
RJAJ
RJAJ began at the beginning.

Device: KA1
Have the KA1 but bit the bullet and bought the Kobo Forma. I'm not sure I see a dark band, I keep the brightness around 5-8%. Its lightweight and easy to hold. However I find he KA1 with a pop socket easier to hold than the Forma. Ordered for a sleeve as well.
RJAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 AM   #22
BilboBaggins
BilboBaggins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Oasis 9th generation
I have both.
The Forma is the better e-reader I never saw and had, just a bit over the Oasis from Kindle.
The Aura One is very good, but its screen is somehow less good as the Forma's one: I mean, books seem easier to read on the Forma than on the Aura One.
The Aura One is also less reactive than the Forma when reading and annotating.
Maybe the Aura One has had some issues not so easy to solve by Kobo, I think it is the reason Kobo has no more the Aura One in its catalog.
BilboBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #23
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Compared to the One, the Forma
* is much easier on hands: lighter, better balanced
* has buttons as well as tapping and swiping - I now use all three, but mostly buttons within books, and almost exclusively within menus, dictionaries and book lists. When I use my other Kobos, I'm always trying for (absent) buttons
* offers easy switching from left hand reading to right hand reading, and from portrait to landscape view
* is way better for PDFs.

Last edited by anacreon; 02-26-2019 at 09:14 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #24
Maritimer555
Maritimer555 began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Sony T1 and prs 350
Hi
I’m strongly considering upgrading to the Forma from my Aura One. Especially after the semi positive review on another reader forum. Not sure I’m allowed to post the URL.
However now what is holding me back is the $299 CAD. I know it’s rare for a sale on Kobo but I’m trying to decide whether I should hold off to see if it’s does go sale.
Am I dreaming ?
Maritimer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer555 View Post
Hi
I’m strongly considering upgrading to the Forma from my Aura One. Especially after the semi positive review on another reader forum. Not sure I’m allowed to post the URL.
However now what is holding me back is the $299 CAD. I know it’s rare for a sale on Kobo but I’m trying to decide whether I should hold off to see if it’s does go sale.
Am I dreaming ?
Well, yes. Kobos rarely go on sale and especially not the top of the line.

My own opinion is that $300 is a lot of money for a minimal upgrade in size and functionality, but you're the only determinant of your wallet and the amount of your gadget lust.

(BTW, you can post a link to reviews elsewhere.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJAJ View Post
Have the KA1 but bit the bullet and bought the Kobo Forma. I'm not sure I see a dark band, I keep the brightness around 5-8%. Its lightweight and easy to hold. However I find he KA1 with a pop socket easier to hold than the Forma. Ordered for a sleeve as well.
Cancel the order for the sleeve. It's a waste of money. You get almost no protection from a sleeve because once you take the Reader out of the sleeve, you have no protection. Plus a case makes a Reader easier to hold. And you have the sleeve to have to put someplace while reading.

Just got for a good case and forget sleeves exist except for your clothes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #27
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer555 View Post
Hi
Am I dreaming ?
It's a judgment call for sure. A lot of people say $300 for a larger screen ereader, that's outrageous when you can get passable cheaper Android tablets for under $200, and deluxe tablets (like the Huawei Mediapad M5 8", and the Ipad Mini) in the $290 to $399 range.

Other people are hardcore readers, and also value the big beautiful screen and e-ink reading experience enough to spend $300 for it. I am firmly in that camp, the cost was not the main consideration. If that sounds like you too, I bet you'll like the Forma. And if you're gonna spend that much anyway, and have a LOT of ebooks and like to keep all those on your device at the same time, it's probably worth at least considering the 32GB version that you can get directly from the Kobo site, it's another $50 at $329. I haven't seen the Forma go on sale at all, but maybe it will.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #28
Maritimer555
Maritimer555 began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Sony T1 and prs 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
It's a judgment call for sure. A lot of people say $300 for a larger screen ereader, that's outrageous when you can get passable cheaper Android tablets for under $200, and deluxe tablets (like the Huawei Mediapad M5 8", and the Ipad Mini) in the $290 to $399 range.

Other people are hardcore readers, and also value the big beautiful screen and e-ink reading experience enough to spend $300 for it. I am firmly in that camp, the cost was not the main consideration. If that sounds like you too, I bet you'll like the Forma. And if you're gonna spend that much anyway, and have a LOT of ebooks and like to keep all those on your device at the same time, it's probably worth at least considering the 32GB version that you can get directly from the Kobo site, it's another $50 at $329. I haven't seen the Forma go on sale at all, but maybe it will.
I use my reader every day. So yes I’ll likely grab the Forma sooner than later. As for the 32gb I doubt I’ll go in that direction. My Aura One is 8gb and that’s enough. I take a spare reader when my wife and I go away and I load extra books on it in case either of our machines break. Which did happen a few years back.
Maritimer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #29
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Plus a case makes a Reader easier to hold.
Point of order ... I'm not sure this is actually true for a Forma.

About a week ago I finally found an acceptable 3rd-party slimfit clip-in case for my Forma. Although it now feels more protected I don't think it improves the "holdability" (if that's even a word). With a naked Forma the soft rubber back and angled button bevel is very comfortable to hold and significantly lighter.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:28 PM   #30
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
@CatherineStewart : may I hijack your thread a bit ? I just heard of this new model today because of the mandatory Mini update.

Context : I use my One every day, I had (and still have some) pretty much every model, Glo being my favorite, the One is too heavy to hold with the thumb for longer period.

I don't mind the 300$ price tag. The only question that remains is : does it works well with PDFs? I'm an avid fan of RPG books but they aren,t really readable, even on the One because of the size so I still buy them physical. I would gladly go all digital if it's enough readable with this new reader.

Thanks!
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote