Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Book Club Wiki

No one seems to be maintaining the entry in the wiki. Was this overlooked?

MR Book Club Selections

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
No one seems to be maintaining the entry in the wiki. Was this overlooked?

MR Book Club Selections

Dale
We'd need a new page, Dale -- that's for the old MR Book Club which was disbanded as of the end of January of this year. This is a new club. (Hence the name "New Wave Book Club". )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
We'd need a new page, Dale -- that's for the old MR Book Club which was disbanded as of the end of January of this year. This is a new club. (Hence the name "New Wave Book Club". )
You can certainly make a new page if you want. You can also just continue to use the old one. It is up to you but I think the idea of a history of books chosen and the discussions is a useful thing to keep in the wiki. Your call! I did make a page for you identifying the new club. It is here: New Leaf Book Club.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 05-07-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
We _do_ keep a history, or rather Dazrin does. In both spreadsheet and online. We have a restriction on nominations that doesn't allow any book selected by any club in the last 5 years to be nominated again. (Applies to LIT, MR and New Leaf Book Club selections.)

I'm not volunteering right now (LIFE!) to update the Wiki, but I suspect one of us can. We'll see if we can scare up a volunteer.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I don't mind volunteering.

I take it you want a new page for "NBLC Book Selections" linked from the NLBC page DaleDe created? Follow the same format as for the MR Book Club Selections page?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I created the old one back when I first started maintaining the MR list. It never seemed to get much traffic and I never heard any comments on it so I decided not to maintain it for the NLBC. I am already maintaining 2 locations so didn't really want to take on a third that wasn't used as much as the others.

latepaul, if you do want to take it on feel free to format it however you want. I had just taken the old MR list from here and pasted it in (with some format shifting using search/replace.) I will continue to keep both the list here and the spreadsheet up-to-date for a reference on that. As far as I am concerned there doesn't need to be a list in the wiki, if there is a NLBC page it could just reference the list page in the forum.

I don't think there is a wiki entry for the literary club either right now.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I don't think there is a wiki entry for the literary club either right now.
As far as I know one doesn't. If anyone wants to make one, go for it.

It seems a bit like the Goodreads entry we have for the lit club in that it's nice to have but is mostly hidden away.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I created the old one back when I first started maintaining the MR list. It never seemed to get much traffic and I never heard any comments on it so I decided not to maintain it for the NLBC. I am already maintaining 2 locations so didn't really want to take on a third that wasn't used as much as the others.
Thinking it through I've changed my mind on this. In my eagerness to be helpful I forgot something. You've reminded me that this would be a case of a thing I hate in my day job: different sources for the same information that potentially contradict each other, so you're never quite sure which is right/up to date.

At least the current 2 sources are being updated by the same person and there is a link from the NLBC wiki page to your thread so I personally think that's enough.

Obviously if anyone else wants to take it on that's up to them.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think you are right Dazrin - your lists are the ones we use. I doubt most people knew about a Wiki list - I certainly didn’t.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I think you are right Dazrin - your lists are the ones we use. I doubt most people knew about a Wiki list - I certainly didn’t.
Nor did I know about it. I don't think I ever consciously noticed that there's a "Wiki" link at the top of the page.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Well 4,800 people found it over the years. Sometimes the wiki is found in a web search and leads people to the forum. If you only want one list then just add a link on the wiki page to point to where the list is.

Dale