Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #31
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Just put them in airplane mode. Problem solved.
I'm always finding stuff as I read that I want to know more about so I look it up on Wikipedia. Airplane mode would make that difficult.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #32
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm always finding stuff as I read that I want to know more about so I look it up on Wikipedia. Airplane mode would make that difficult.

Barry
Kindles with both wifi and cellular use wifi when it is available, so still no problem.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #33
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I just asked for a Paperwhite replacement to be sure that my screen is not faulty.
The actual can be blurry / greyish. The difference with the Voyage is visible even when I don't have them side by side.

So, I'll get used with this model, ordered the official waterproof cover to see it it avoids my little finger to press the power button accidentally ( happened twice )

To be continued...
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #34
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Kindles with both wifi and cellular use wifi when it is available, so still no problem.
Good point! Thanks.

Barry
Old 02-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #35
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I've still got my Voyage and I have no intention of trading it in. I love the small screen size and still having hardware (of a sort) page turn buttons. If only it were waterproof.

The Oasis 1 was great while my daughter was young and I did a lot of cuddles and one-handed reading. The Oasis 2 I bought because I missed reading in the tub.

An Oasis 3 or new Voyage with comfort light would be fantastic. Oh, and a 6" screen option.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #36
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I received the new Paperwhite yesterday.
The contrast, still not as good as the Voyage but the text is definitely less blurry, especially the bottom of the screen. Words appeared to be sort of transparents with the front light on.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #37
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Words appeared to be sort of transparents with the front light on.
I dealt with that by turning up the boldness setting 1 notch.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #38
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I grabbed one of those Woot deals on the Voyage last month. I'd given my original Voyage to one of my sisters after I got the Oasis 2 and I'd forgotten how nice the Voyage is as an ereader. It's thin all over, it's light, the screen is nice, the battery life is no worse than either of my Oasis readers, and I actually like the haptic buttons.

My only issue with this new one is that it won't connect to my Amazon account even over wifi, which I assume has to do with it being an international version. I can side load new content through Calibre so I'll make do.

Last edited by NNolan; 03-15-2019 at 07:07 PM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
My only issue with this new one is that it won't connect to my Amazon account even over wifi, which I assume has to do with it being an international version.
That's extremely unlikely. At worst, being an international version might affect 3G connectivity, but it'll have no effect on WiFi. I'd suggest talking to Kindle CS about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #40
pinktank
Enthusiast
pinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
I just got the PW4 and the text is really low contrast, what is up with that? Did they decrease it via software to improve refresh?

Is there variance within the PW4 production or is it just plain worse? I could get a used PW3 or Voyage but curious whether they will keep updating them and how they will fare otherwise. There seems to be a larger number of recorded touchscreen incidents with the pw4.
*I meant larger number of touchscreen problems reported by users, but I meant to type voyage, not pw4*

Last edited by pinktank; 04-20-2019 at 01:05 AM.
pinktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktank View Post
I just got the PW4 and the text is really low contrast, what is up with that? Did they decrease it via software to improve refresh?

Is there variance within the PW4 production or is it just plain worse? I could get a used PW3 or Voyage but curious whether they will keep updating them and how they will fare otherwise. There seems to be a larger number of recorded touchscreen incidents with the pw4.
Compared to my Voyage, it is a little more washed out. The Voyage has glass, PaperWhite is hard plastic front layer. That accounts for most of it, but Voyage also has light sensor so it is more consistent in different conditions. But it cost more, and even used, I’m guessing you’d pay as much as for a new PW4. I have a PW3 but would not go back to using that instead of PW4, mostly because I like not having raised bezel to catch crud, and at least the display on mine didn’t measure up to the Voyage when I finally got one.

There’s always some variation but I don’t remember seeing many reports here from people trying to exchange for a better display as we have seen for many previous models.

What do you mean by ‘larger number of recorded touchscreen incidents with PW4’?

Last edited by tomsem; 04-19-2019 at 04:53 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #42
barryem
Wizard

I have a Voyage, Paperwhite 3 and Paperwhite 4. Actually 2 of both Paperwhites. They all look equally good to me.

I do find that with the recent updates the touchscreen has gotten more troublesome on all of my Kindles. It often ignores touches and other times there's a pause before it reacts to a touch. I never really know which it's doing so I make a lot of mistakes. I do find that this problem is mostly right after I wake it up. When it's been awake a couple of minutes it seems to get better. I think this is more a function of the new firmware than the new Paperwhite since it's that way on my older devices that have the new firmware too.

One thing I like a lot with the PW4 is the power saver. I wasn't sure I'd like that at first but I decided to try it a while before turning it off. Since I have several Kindles all but one of them is usually sitting idle for a while. The power saver has made a big difference in how long the battery lasts when the Kindle isn't being used. I used to charge them every weekend. Now it's more like every other weekend and I may decide to go even longer.

The Kindle I'm reading on gets no better battery life than before. Maybe even a bit less.

Barry
Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #43
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
Have you checked your Kindle Keyboard recently to see if the 3G still works? I don't know exactly when the 3G hardware in mine took a permanent vacation but it's gone, and I remember reading somewhere that it's a common problem as the KKs age. If I'd known it had a somewhat short shelf life I wouldn't have spent the extra money on it.
Yes, the 3g still works. I've only ever had wifi fail on K3s, never the 3g. I also have 3g on the recent Voyage I purchased through Woot (European model). It's handy to use when I'm sitting in the car reading while waiting for family member who is shopping. I read historical fiction and like to look up points on the wiki. I didn't buy it for that reason, however. I know 3g will be a thing of the past sometime in the next 3 or 4 years. Verizon is ending support for 3g by the end of this year. My cpap machine is also on 3g network, so that's going to be a problem for anybody who uses the online app.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-t-gi...ve-11550765221
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #44
pinktank
Enthusiast
pinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
What do you mean by ‘larger number of recorded touchscreen incidents with PW4’?
I meant more people reporting problems with the touchscreen, but I meant to write voyage, not pw4. Maybe I got a fluke but it definitely looks worse than the k3 keyboard I used to have, the text looks transparent.
pinktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:32 AM   #45
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktank View Post
I meant more people reporting problems with the touchscreen, but I meant to write voyage, not pw4. Maybe I got a fluke but it definitely looks worse than the k3 keyboard I used to have, the text looks transparent.
Interesting, with my PW4 I was having issues swiping through library and kindle store pages, and having it select something instead of paginating. Annoying. Voyage seems better. But none of this very scientific; might just be how dry or moist or warm or cool my fingertips are.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw4 vs voyage, voyage vs pw4