Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Do you need to have pbooks in your home?

My husband and I are looking to redecorate our vacation house, maybe spend more time here. As we were talking about what to redecorate, I realized we have no books out here. We both bring our kindles, and do a lot of reading, but it seems less of a house if you have no books. We don't read pbooks, so they would be just for looks, and we sure have a lot in our nonvacation house.

Do I need to truck some of those books here just to make this look like a home?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My husband and I do 98% of our reading on Kindles or Kindle apps on iDevices. However, we still have print books in just about every room of our house.

I am working on thinning them out, getting rid of old paperbacks etc. But I still need to see print books around. A house/home with no books is sad. Two of my husband's sisters don't read, and while their homes are always spotless, they have no books. It's weird.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
My husband and I are looking to redecorate our vacation house, maybe spend more time here. As we were talking about what to redecorate, I realized we have no books out here. We both bring our kindles, and do a lot of reading, but it seems less of a house if you have no books. We don't read pbooks, so they would be just for looks, and we sure have a lot in our nonvacation house.

Oh, good question!

I don't read pbooks anymore (or almost never; sometimes it's the only way to read a particular book), but I would miss not having books around me. More than anything, it's that I enjoy having books recalled to me by seeing their spines (this doesn't justify the doubleshelving I've done), which is an emotion entirely lost to me with ebooks. Calibre doesn't provide the same hit in the feels.

Part of the reason I've still got pbooks is laziness. Getting rid of books is hard work. But having them is hard work, too; is there anything that collects the dust quite so much? Ideally, I'd like to curate my books way down, so I had a few meaningful collections and best-loved books, but it's definitely a work in process. One way or t'other, it has to be done; if not now, eventually, unless I go out feet first first.

So, your question and I'm getting there. Mostly, I don't think it's worth the effort, especially since they'll never be read. Espouse the minimalist look. But a few favorites, or books that scream "vacation reading" might be nice to have around, just because. Just don't start lugging heavy cartons there, when the better destination is probably the used book donations at your local library.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
well, you could do this:

https://www.amazon.com/fake-books-de...for+decoration

Or try some of these:

https://stylecaster.com/decorating-with-books/

Some people thinks books are essential decoration but I've seen many homes at all economic levels with no books.

In fact, no books but visible Kindles can be seen as a sign of technological expertise.

The real question is what do you think books are for? Reading or decoration?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I really couldn't get rid of all my books. Even though I've not read a paper book in a while. We've been through so much together, too many happy memories.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I can't imagine having NO books around--they're comforting--but I've gone over to the dark side and ruthlessly pared my book collection. Double shelving is a thing of the past, and I've even been able to discard entire bookcases.

But I don't know that I could see splitting up books between two homes; I'd be more likely to be picking up the occasional book at a thrift store near the second home and gradually ending up with a collection of books that live in that house.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Yes, you do. If only so that you now have more shelf space between the two homes!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I still have my hardbacks displayed around the house in various bookcases. All of my paperbacks are stored, in an indoor storage room, in my store. The books are in alphabetical order by author and each box is numbered. If I want to read a specific book I can go right to it. Even though I have not read a paper book in a long time I keep them just in case. For example, if I am called to jury duty again, the court systems here do not allow any electronic devices at all. The first time I was called I had to walk a half mile back to my vehicle and lock my book in it and then walk back. Parking is nonexistent around the building that houses the courts. It's all officers of the court and employees.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
You do you...but I got past the inclination to have a house full of books. I appreciate bookshelves filled with books at other people's houses. But it’s like that “new baby smell”. Sure, babies are nice...but I’m not going to make any more. I’ll wait for grand children
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I would say that you do, mostly because you may have a guest at some point who forgot to bring reading material.

Of course, the other reasons in this thread do apply to a certain extent, as well. Having paper books around me is comforting, even if I don't actually read them anymore.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I live in Chicago and would be pleased to give you many books I don't read anymore
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Yes, my home is filled with books. I still read books, but I also love collections and think they make cozy decoration.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
No. Our flat is only 65m2, so the few bookshelves we have are in the garage. The few dead-tree books I have in the house are all dictionaries in various languages and other language learning reference works. All are in my workstation's "cupboards", easily accessible but out of sight. Our flat's living area is effectively book-free, although our Kobos are normally lying around visible.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Paperbacks, no.

Hardback First Editions of favorite writers: Absolutely!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
We have no novels any longer, but still have cookbooks and craftbooks. I also kept books like Garfield, Far Side, etc. that are not nearly as fun to read on a tablet or ereader than in book form. Neither myself nor my brother can read standard paper stuff due to vision problems, but even my Mom who has no problems chose to eliminate the paperbacks. Now and then I find one while emptying yet another box from the attic, and it goes to one of those Little Red Libraries.

FWIW, my sister and late BIL had a lake place used for guests. She always kept it stocked with 10-12 books and 30 VHS tapes. The books were all different genres. My late BIL's family didn't read at all, but many of his friends did and appreciated them on days they couldn't fish. Once TV towers switched from analog to digital, they no longer had service.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-16-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote